//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need idea/picture for 2 wheel conversion

frankydodo is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Need idea/picture for 2 wheel conversion

Hey guys! I finall decided to make a 2 wheel fat bike out of m 1983 atc 200!

I know that i'm going to need a jackshaft setup because the rear sprocket will not line with the engine sprocket.

But for the swingarm setup i kinda need some idea. I've seen alot of build on youtube but not an detailed picture!

There are mainly 2 option i'm seeing.

1: take some 1x3 steel tubing and put sone pillow block bearing at the end for the axle.

2 : this one i found it on youtube and look pretty good also. Its to take a front fork out of a 1981-1982 200 (no suspension) put a wheel on it and find a way to put the sprocket on a front wheel hub.

I would like to add shock also. So if you have any good tips or idea/pictue they are welcome!!

Frank

--
    Well i guess i'll start ut alone guys! This week i cut the rear end and i ask a machinist to make me a rear sprocket and wheel hub.

And finally i will make the swingarm with some 1x2 and a mono shock design with maybe a 400ex rear shock. Like this design

--
    I was expecting a missile based design, build build so far. What are your plans for a rear fender to keep the engine from getting caked from the back side and the underside of your seat/air box?

Personally, I'd run the bearings on the opposite side of the swing arm, gives more grown clearance for it. I guess the down side would be putting the bearings closer to harms way if you did ever bottom out on something like passing by a stump or something.

--
    Yeah the bearing will be upside down ! And i have to say that i did not think about a rear fender setup yet haha. My part will be ready this weekend so i will be able to start the swing arm soon

--
    For what its worth. My brother and I did something along the lines you're trying to do. But to an '82 not '83 (his frame broke) so wasn't wrecking a good one.

A trip to Fleet Farm for bearings, home made jack-shafts, and a new trailer fender cut in half long way re-welded. Basically sums up what we did. Good luck with yours

Brian

my wheelers:
    1981 Honda 200 5-wheeler
    1983 Honda 200
    1982 Honda 185S
    1983 Honda 250R
    1984 Honda 200S
    1985 Honda 200X
    1985 Honda 200 auto-X (for sale) http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-200X-(auto-x)
    1987 Honda 250SX

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150412_122756092_HDR.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	227368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150412_122811042_HDR.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	227369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150412_122820742_HDR.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	227370

--
    Hey man thanks for the reply and picture ! Nice build ! Can't wait to finish mine

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    xlnt, this is cool and the video shot looks cool . . i know your not building a pro motocross bike but i would try to set the angle of the rear shock to the best angle possible to get the best performance out of it.

buy an angle finder or protractor from the hardware store.

tack weld all the suspension mounts in so they can be removed as needed.

remove the shock spring.

after you determine how what ride height you want then measure the distance from the top of the rear tire to the bottom of some type of fender or where a fender would be.

next, raise the swingarm until it reaches the point where you want the suspension to stop then measure from the top of the tire to some point on the frame just above it . . you can also use the angle finder to check both these positions.

move the mounts around until you have the amount of travel you want then check the shock angle.

mount the shock so it is at or slightly less than 90 degrees to the angle of the line from the center of the swingarm pivot to the center of the rear axle bolt . . this will prevent the shock ratio from becoming "digressive" at the end of the suspension travel.

--
    I started my swingarm with 1x2 tubing i will not use a front fork finally.

I want to put my swingarm pivot on pillow block bearing . I saw some design with a swingarm but without bearing but i dont want to do that.

The jackshaft bearing will be on the swingarm itself. ( like the power modz power cat check it out on youtube )

--
    Just a fair warning, which ever pair of sprockets has the pivot point will get looser/tighter as the suspension works. I suspect the longer the distance the more forgiving it is, and the placement of the pivot point makes a huge difference too. In a perfect world, the center of the jack shaft would be your pivot point and there would be zero length differences from the suspension.

Just keep that in mind as you're building it so frame bars etc don't get in the way of the chain, and hopefully the chain does not get too loose/tight. You could make up some sort of chain tensioner similar to the atc90 setup.

Just in my mind, you could probably make the pivot point the same as the front shaft for the jack shaft since it looks plenty heavy enough to hold the weight of the machine, It will be kind of odd with a spinning swing arm "bolt" though lol.

--
    Lol at the swingarm spining pivot bolt ! I actually think of that too but im not sure about that !

And i will probably add an spring loaded chain tensioner too.

And ps2fixer are you talking about the chain going from the engine to the jackshaft or the jackshaft going ro the rear sprocket that will become loose? I was thinking that if the jackshaft system is on the swingarm itself it would reduce the tight/loose effect

And i will not use a mono shock design. The rear wheel would be to far back from the atc. I've found a gokart site that sells all kind of stuff. And i bought :

3/4" keyed jackshaft
    3/4" locking collar
    I also found a kickstand!

And they also sells shock of different length for cheap. Also they sells shock mount bracket too!

--
    If i look at this picture the jackshaft position by the pivot point will be closely the same and this guy does not have a tensioner.

--
    In the photo of the video, the rear sprocket to jack shaft will be were the slack is made. Based on the layout of what I can see, it will loosen when you compress the suspension. If the swingarm bolt and jackshaft are the same shaft, there will be no chains being effected. If the swing arm bolt is between the engine and jackshaft, then the engine between the two will be the effected chain.

Spring loaded tentioners will probably be best. You could slot the bearing mounts for which ever chain is static/not changing and move the whole bearing assembly to tighten. Think of it kind of like how the rear wheel on a dirt bike adjusts. 3 wheelers are the same basic setup, just a bit more complex except the smaller hard tails, I think they all had the inline tentioner on the slack side of the chain.

--
    The pillow block bearing holes are already sloted ! And i think ill add an automatic chain tensioner just to be safe! But right now im still waiting for my wheel and sprocket hub

--
    Ahh didn't notice that in the photos, not a lot of adjustment but enough for atleast 1 link or so.

I bet if someone made a weld on kit there would be an ok demand for them.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    ...Just in my mind, you could probably make the pivot point the same as the front shaft for the jack shaft since it looks plenty heavy enough to hold the weight of the machine, It will be kind of odd with a spinning swing arm "bolt" though lol...
    Doesn't this solve the problem with chain adjustment changes during suspension travel? It would be cool to look at, too.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //