//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good setup for bad back and sore arm

--
    Sounds like someone desires the riding comfort of the super x. E start, reverse, 5 speeds, back up recoil, and a solid suspension. Mine jumps, trails, climbs and has enough azz to get up and go to the mid to high 40's if need be. Fairly easy motor swap if you can find one.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    Sounds like someone desires the riding comfort of the super x. E start, reverse, 5 speeds, back up recoil, and a solid suspension. Mine jumps, trails, climbs and has enough azz to get up and go to the mid to high 40's if need be. Fairly easy motor swap if you can find one.
    my ride and yours sound near identical except mines a zuki.
    im going to call the places yall pointed out to see what they can do with my shock to make it ride cushy.
    Suzuki ALT 50: Skeeter
    Suzuki ALT 50: full suspension kit: the grasshopper
    Suzuki ALT 125: The Toad
    Suzuki ALT 160: Was a Quad runner 160: The Tri-Runner
    Suzuki ALT 185: The Warthog
    1979 Subaru brat: daily driver almost 400k runs strong

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiirider View Post
    im going to call the places yall pointed out to see what they can do with my shock to make it ride cushy.
    Making your existing shock ride "cushy" is a piece of cake, but the spine compressing impact you will get after all of it's 3" of travel is used up and it bottoms out may be counterproductive to your goal.

From what you have described so far, you need to increase the travel to make much improvement unless you plan to just ride it in the yard.

Since you want to check different places out, you can also call Race Tech to see what they say, but definitely call more than one place irregardless of what that one place is . . This way you may get a wider variety of suggestions which can only help you make a more informed decision.

Also, ask about everyone's turn around times if you want it back quickly . . Race Tech is often just a 4 day turn around and only costs around $100.00 in labor to disassemble and reassemble a shock . . Valving and parts are additional . . Works Performance does not work on shocks other than their own.

http://www.racetech.com/

--
    How big is the shock eye to eye? Does it mount straight to the swinger? Dogbone? Maybe post a pic. I searched far and wide for a more comfortable shock for a few different trikes. I might be able to help.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LT160...1ULX39&vxp=mtr

heres the exact shock on the bike, offers maybe 3 in travel at best. preload is adjustable that's it, what you said is correct if cushy it goes through its travel and is harsh bottoming out.
    I contacted works suspension they can build me one for $360 with any travel I desire.

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    Put a 250X front shock on. They are 12.75 or 13" eye to eye and have about 7" of travel. Prob will be a bolt on.

Works shocks gives eye to eye lengths for every shock made per bike...live by it. I do so know I know what shocks to swap out for others.

--
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-HONDA-T...dWpWGI&vxp=mtr buy and try. At most you will have to machine down the shock heads or add washers. also take out the plastic retainers...they just hold dirt and look better with out them....see 300ex shock on a 250ex which was a massive upgrade.

--

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    They are all the same...but needing bottom bussing you cant really replace. You need to machine them out and put in delrin bushing then they last forever.

--
    I contacted works suspension they can build me one for $360 with any travel I desire.
    Boom there you go, end of thread.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-LT160...1ULX39&vxp=mtr

heres the exact shock on the bike, offers maybe 3 in travel at best. preload is adjustable that's it, what you said is correct if cushy it goes through its travel and is harsh bottoming out.
    I'm glad my suggestion was helpful, imo, that's a f'n smokin deal these days . . I was actually sponsored by them when I "un-retired" and started racing vintage motocross . I built and raced a 1974 "Works" CR125 and CR250 both with Mossbarger reed valves and a 1974 YZ250 and a 1974.5 Adolph Weil 450 Maico and had Works Performance shocks on all of them . . I did have to send one pair back to get them revalved which was no surprise to me since I design suspensions and know how difficult it can be to get it right the first time out, but their shocks worked well enough that I won the AHRMA over 40 Pro class and the Open Pro class and got 4th or 5th in the 250 Pro class and 3rd in the 125 Pro class against lots of "youngsters", so I was definitely sold on their quality and performance.

They still need the measurements I suggested you take, and ask them what their revalve and re-spring policy is if the shock does not work exactly how you want it to the first time out.

Also, keep in mind that they can make one with adjustable damping . . My guess is that for $360.00, the one they mentioned won't have it.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    I'm glad my suggestion was helpful, imo, that's a f'n smokin deal these days . . I was actually sponsored by them when I "un-retired" and started racing vintage motocross . I built and raced a 1974 "Works" CR125 and CR250 both with Mossbarger reed valves and a 1974 YZ250 and a 1974.5 Adolph Weil 450 Maico and had Works Performance shocks on all of them . . I did have to send one pair back to get them revalved which was no surprise to me since I design suspensions and know how difficult it can be to get it right the first time out, but their shocks worked well enough that I won the AHRMA over 40 Pro class and the Open Pro class and got 4th or 5th in the 250 Pro class and 3rd in the 125 Pro class against lots of "youngsters", so I was definitely sold on their quality and performance.

They still need the measurements I suggested you take, and ask them what their revalve and re-spring policy is if the shock does not work exactly how you want it to the first time out.

Also, keep in mind that they can make one with adjustable damping . . My guess is that for $360.00, the one they mentioned won't have it.

they asked I send my old shock in, the 300/250x shock sure is ALOT cheaper that oldskool suggested has me at a crossroads kind of...

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    spend less to try it....if you like the 300ex shock then go off that. You can always resell a 300ex shock...you cant resell a lt160 shock...you cant even give them away lol

--
    The truth is you won't gain much travel without altering the mounts. A shock with more stroke will be longer eye to eye. So if you are wanting to keep the ride height and up-travel similar you will need to customize. With a short swingarm there is only so much available between tire rub and scrubbing the chain slider off... Short swingarms are also more likely to throw chains with a lot of travel so be sure to keep track of the chain tension when you mock it up. I personally would not spend $360 just to end up with another 3" travel shock with no external adjustment.
    Last edited by cr480r; 01-27-2016 at 04:44 PM.
    2-stroke lover

--
    they asked I send my old shock in, the 300/250x shock sure is ALOT cheaper that oldskool suggested has me at a crossroads kind of...
    It doesn't matter what they asked for, you still MUST do the measurements I suggested if you want to get the most amount of travel and benefit from a shock . . There is absolutely, positively, no other way in the world to go about achieving that result . . I know this for a fact because as I mentioned, I designed suspensions . . If you do not do the measurements I suggested, I see little point in spending $360.00 on custom shock.

Also, there is no possible way in hell that you will be able to find ANY production shock that will do just what you want it to, because it sounds to me that due to the severity of your condition and high potential of making it worse, a shock that is "close" just won't be good enough in your particular case, therefore, you will likely need to send any used production shock you buy to someone to have it modified if you want it "perfect, and this will cost you maybe $100.00 or more for basic disassembly and reassembly only, plus maybe $50.00 to revalve it, plus maybe $15.00 for oil, plus maybe $100.00 or more for a spring etc which in my book adds up to around $265.00 and that does NOT include the cost of the shock.

Of course, if you want to spend maybe $50.00 on a worn out used shock from another bike or even a new Chinese one etc, it will not be a huge loss if it doesn't wok out, however, based on the severity of your condition, if it was me, I wouldn't do that unless I was on Welfare and didn't hardly have a pot to piss in, in which case I would spend the money on some booze instead so I could drown my sorrows, however, unless this your situation, I would instead buy a brand spanking new shock that uses progressive 3 stage check ball type valving that is 100% totally custom made for your particular bike and your weight and intended purpose, PLUS, they will give you cool decals like the ones below.

Also, you already spent maybe $100.00 for a spring for this that you can't return that was supposed to be softer but ended up being firmer . . Just how much time and money do you want to spend dicking around buying random parts that WILL NOT get you the best possible ride.

Will someone pleeease tell me what part of this is illogical.

I will also guarantee you that even if you increased the suspension travel to a whopping 5" inches, it will still bottom fairly harshly if you set it up so it is cushy and hit any jumps or bumps or potholes at even moderate speed, HOWEVER, one trick to reduce this problem is to run an extra long bottoming cushion on the shock shaft . . This will in effect make the suspension a bit more "progressive", and in fact, this is exactly what we had to do on the 84 TECATE...The The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In the World to reduce its hard bottoming and still retain a somewhat plush ride thru most of the travel . . Works Performance actually has long bottoming cushions and the top of their shock can easily be romoved to change them, therefore, if you get one of their shocks, I would either buy a long bottoming cushion or have them put one on the shock and you can shorten it a little to change the ride a little if needed.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //