//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Good setup for bad back and sore arm

--

Good setup for bad back and sore arm

Once was posting vids of big air on trikes on this site, now posting about setups for a bad back....
    At 34 my disability from the military has caught up to me, to the point where I don't even consider big jumps at all anymore..
    I have a bad back (broke it..) and disabled left arm. I gave up my 250r and 200x to rid the clutch as it flat out isn't easy after a while to pull..
    I also went for e start on my new build to avoid kicking or pulling and reverse to avoid pushing it.
    My zuki tri runner 160 (was a lt160 quadrunner) has a stock rear shock and 200x forks.
    is there a good long travel shock for a smooth plush ride out there? I could really use it these days. any other setups for ride comfort would be cool too.
    thanks
    Suzuki ALT 50: Skeeter
    Suzuki ALT 50: full suspension kit: the grasshopper
    Suzuki ALT 125: The Toad
    Suzuki ALT 160: Was a Quad runner 160: The Tri-Runner
    Suzuki ALT 185: The Warthog
    1979 Subaru brat: daily driver almost 400k runs strong

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    Busted up at 34? Best take care for when you are older like me. I feel like crap when the weather blows in
    and I didn't have anything happen to me at all. If I were in your place I'd be on a Rancher 420 with IRS, Power Steering
    and a cooler on the back rack.

I'm sure the guys will have a better trike related solution for ya.
    "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like. "

Trikes:
    1982 Honda ATC250R(in process), 1984 Honda ATC110, 1984 Honda 200s, 1985 Kawasaki KLT160(not running...yet)
    Quads:
    1990 Suzuki LT250S, 2013 Suzuki LT-Z400, 2014 Honda TRX450R SE

--
    Get a 250sx. With e start and reverse where could ya go wrong

--
    Yea im not into 2 stroke trikes anymore just because they are demanding physically. I had a 250sx and sold it because I broke the shaft/swingarm bolt jumping it... the trike I built suits me great, its sporty, very light, auto clutch, reverse, e start. just need to dial in this rear shock, the stock one is a rough ride 3 inch travel at best! the front 200x shocks are great tho.

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    What is the shock mounting like? What is the eye to eye length?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    dood just buy an fully auto atv....you need to accept your messed up and if you want to play you give some stuff up...not a real big deal. 250SX barely has suspension as is.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    dood just buy an fully auto atv....you need to accept your messed up and if you want to play you give some stuff up...not a real big deal. 250SX barely has suspension as is.
    4 wheeler ?hell no, im not gay!! ^ I can still ride a trike great just looking out for my back is all.

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    Why did owning a 4wheeler say Hey I take it up the butt...There are no comfortable 3wheelers when you have body issues. One thing you could do if your so concerned with being gay is spend some money and get a shock built up correctly for soft conditions...not rocket science but that may be too lesbian.

Sheesh....and I thought most banshee owners were freaking bull headed.

--
    I used to own a banshee so maybe it stuck w me lol, do you know a good shock builder? I pm'd onformula1 waiting to hear back if he can build me one.

was just saying don't like quads, im a trike guy to the end

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

--
    he can rebuild them, SRS on ebay can do them. For vintage stuff they are prob the best two people. Might spend what your bike is worth however since most people are cheap in the wrong areas.

--
    he can rebuild them, SRS on ebay can do them. For vintage stuff they are prob the best two people. Might spend what your bike is worth however since most people are cheap in the wrong areas.
    thanks for the info, its worth the $ in my opinion to keep me ridn a trike not ridn the couch

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    ...take it up the butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiirider View Post
    hell no, im not gay!!
    ...freaking bull headed.
    ...lesbian.

What the hell?

--
    lmao!!^^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEED ALT 50 SEAT PAN

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    You need to determine what angle you want the bike to be at when you ride it because to get more travel, you will likely need to raise the back of the bike . . The higher the rear, the quicker the steering will be and more unstable the steering will be at high rpm . . Also, the more tippy" the bike will be.

The following is one way to take the required measurements.

1. After determine the height you want the back of the bike, put a felt pen mark on top of the rear axle housing and another one on the bottom side of the fender directly above the one on the axle . . Sit on the bike and have someone push down on the forks twice then push down on the back twice letting the bike rise up on its own then have them measure the distance between the two felt pen marks and the the distance from the centers of the shock mounting bolts.

2. Remove the shock spring then let the bike down then have someone sit on it then carefully measure the distance from the centers both shock mounting bolts . . If no one can help you, put a tie down on the rear to compress it as much as possible . . This will reasonably simulate bottoming the suspension . . Next, measure the distance from the top of the tire to the underside of the fender where the tires would hit them if the suspension traveled far enough . . Also make sure nothing is hitting . . I would run as close to 5/8" as possible . . If you have around 1" or more, and all the other parts have a little clearance, you can possibly run a shock with a slightly shorter body to increase the amount of downward travel, but keep in mind that increasing downward travel will also cause the frame and footpegs to be closer to the ground at full compression.

3. If you want it to compress farther, place some wood under the frame until the clearance between the tires and fender is around 5/8" then measure the distance between the center of both hock mounting holes Under actual riding conditions, parts may if you land hard causing the fenders to hit the tops of the tires lightly which is why the clearance should not be much less than 5/8".

4. Next, put a 2x4 on a floor jack then raise the back until it is 3" higher than the ride height you wanted and measure the distance from the center of both shock mounting holes . . You can actually measure from the top or bottom of both holes for this measurement.

You will now have every shock length measurement you need to get you the optimum amount of travel.

You may not be able to increase both the downward and upward travel . . That all depends upon the design of your suspension and measurements of your current shock which is where the biggest problem lies because there might not be an existing shock body the length you need to do this with and a fully custom made shock may cost more than a nice 86...TECATE...The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe.

GUARANTEE

It is unlikely that a custom or modified stock shock from ANYONE will be set up absolutely perfectly the first time out for your particular app, therefore I would ask whomever you get one from if they will guarantee to respring and/or revalve it for free or for a small fixed fee if it is not perfect and GET IT IN WRITING, because you are relying on their skill and knowledge to get it right and you shouldn't have to pay big bucks for a custom shock if it doesn't work properly . . Works Performance used to revalve and/or respring their shocks for free one time if needed but I don't know if they still offer this service . . I'm pretty sure they will also build you a full on custom one, and since they make their own shock parts, they may have a combo that will be the correct dimensions, and if so, it wont cost much, if any more than one of their production shocks of the same type.

http://www.worksperformance.com/

ADJUSTABLE DAMPING

imo, in your case, a shock with separate compression and rebound damping will be the best and it may provide enough range of adjustment to get it where you want if the valving isn't good enough with the settings in the middle position.

--
    Not to suggest antoher 4 wheeler... but there are a lot of advancements in ride quality on the 4 wheeled bothers of the 3 wheerls.... 680 rincon is a very nice ride, fully automatic, fast, handles trails well, and small jumps. It is heavy.... but feels controllable.

If you are a bit more extreme rider still... you could go for a can-am, much much more power, light weight, infact power to weight ratio makes it feel about the same as my 350x except it gets to 72mph before I can top out around 60ish (wet dirt road), steering is nearly as nimble feeling and it is 4x4! Yes.. it does have that 4 wheeled feeling, but the least about of the quads I have rode.

If you are sticking with a 3 wheeler, I'd say you have some custom fab work to do... pretty sure the 85-86 250r's had the best ride factory, and next 85 - 86 350x? I'd say take one of them machines and find a suitable chain drive engine that has an auto clutch. The 200s in a 200x frame is about the same mod that is easier, but lacks power from my understanding.

I don't really have experience building my own suspension, so I can't offer advice there, but barnett will be spot on .

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //