//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just picked me up an '87 Honda 250SX, in good condition

--

Just picked me up an '87 Honda 250SX, in good condition

For what its worth... in process of listing my 200X auto-x for sale to hopefully find a 250SX eventually, I find one within an hour. Just picked it up last night. Meanwhile in 6"+ of snow and tons of slush.

All original 1987. Came with 9 oil filters, original owners manual, and a speedo. Everything works great. Only things missing are the speedo cable and tool kit (toolbox is still there) but absolutely no cracks in plastic.

Know people get all excited over anything 1987 claiming they don't exist, (I know 250sx is fairly common) but just proof I have one.

Brian

my wheelers:
    1981 Honda 200 5-wheeler
    1983 Honda 200
    1982 Honda 185S
    1983 Honda 250R
    1984 Honda 200S
    1985 Honda 200X
    1985 Honda 200 auto-X (for sale) http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-200X-(auto-x)
    1987 Honda 250SX
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160202_171516440.jpg   IMG_20160202_171522058.jpg   IMG_20160202_171533477.jpg  
    Last edited by bumsted200s; 02-05-2016 at 03:18 PM.

shovelryder is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thats a nice bike......The speedo stuffs worth good money.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    xlnt!....

shovelryder is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post
    What is it about the 250SX that made you want one as opposed to the 200X?
    Completely different animals. Ones utility and ones sport. One a real clutch and ones auto clutch. Prolly shouldnt be towing dragging and hauling with a 200x.......

--
    I'd suspect shaft drive might be a bit of a factor... or just flat out because it is an 87?

Personally I'd take a 250sx over a 200x, but 350x wins hands down for my daily trike .

--
    What is it about the 250SX that made you want one as opposed to the 200X?
    1. for yard work
    2. elec start / reverse
    3. I don't have to pull start it when my lady rides it
    4. Its a 1987 (same year I was born)

--

--
    [QUOTE=ATC King;1399287][QUOTE=shovelryder;1399260]One a real clutch and ones auto clutch

Except that his was an Auto X.

It seems there is a little bit of a story there and I just would like to read it. Little stories about wanting something then being able to get it are fun to read.

Here's basic long-story, short:

I restored and went all out on my '85 200X (there's a thread on that if you search for it). Bought a frame from Arizona eBay and a worn out junker from around home (Wisconsin) as I transferred stuff over I was left with extra frame and extra parts. Had other 200S motors in the shop for parts lots I got long time ago. So used what I had and bought remainder to make an auto-x conversion. Literally every nut n bolt is out of something else but not cobbed together just saying many Honda 200 components. I've taken few things off to lower my investment price (such as NASA fork bracket and old school douglas polish 11" front rim) but what you see now is finely tuned machine. I have 4 other daily drivers so felt one should be sold in order to make room for a 250SX. hope that gives you an idea.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/content...ion-Done-Right!

Brian

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    I'd suspect shaft drive might be a bit of a factor... or just flat out because it is an 87?

Personally I'd take a 250sx over a 200x, but 350x wins hands down for my daily trike .
    Few reasons: For yard work, nice to have elec start / reverse, I don't have to pull start it when my lady rides it, and ya basically just because its a 1987 (same year I was born). I'm not a big talker (actually drives me nuts when others do it) but that's too bad you prefer sx over a 200X, never laid eyes on mine then for whatever reason imagine wont insert. here's album link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=1644 I have many more since these are over year old already.
    Last edited by bumsted200s; 02-04-2016 at 03:11 PM.

--
    I just haven't rode a 200x that impressed me yet, I can wheelie all day long, and top out around 52mph on my 85 sx, but 200x's I have rode (pre 86) were all dogs, I had to rev and pop the clutch to even try to wheelie. Very good chances all of the ones I rode were worn out, but none smoked. Shaft drive and better performance (in my exp) wins for me, even though suspension isn't as nice.

I don't hate the 200x or anything, and your machine is nice in those photos, better shape than my sx .

Here are some photos, in order, my nicer 350x (needs a little engine work, but overall in good shape), 85 sx, rear fender cracked but been a great rider, parts 85 sx, engine went into my cousin's sx and was a really strong runner, never understood why someone tried to turn it into a big red.... the car tires was from another parts lot I bought in the past, threw them on the sx because I needed the tires off it =).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010461.jpg   DSCN0099[1].jpg   DSCN0228.jpg  

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I disagree with this my fresh 84 200x with a mostly stock motor the only thing that was upgraded was the clutch springs were replaced with heavy duty springs. beat the heck out of my cousins fresh 250sx in a drag race and I was only at half throttle and he was all the way. He talked smack to me that my little 200cc would never be a match too his 250cc and I just said we will have to wait and see. once I had got my bike back together we lined em up and When I popped that clutch there was no competition. needless to say he was impressed.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86125m View Post
    I disagree with this my fresh 84 200x with a mostly stock motor the only thing that was upgraded was the clutch springs were replaced with heavy duty springs. beat the heck out of my cousins fresh 250sx in a drag race and I was only at half throttle and he was all the way. He talked smack to me that my little 200cc would never be a match too his 250cc and I just said we will have to wait and see. once I had got my bike back together we lined em up and When I popped that clutch there was no competition. needless to say he was impressed.
    a 200x will always whip an SX........ Totally different bikes.

--
    Oh sure sure, see what you mean. I've been fortunate that every 250sx/200X I've either worked on or been around has been in decent shape. No worries, just run what you got. Ya your 350X seems like a decent machine, looks really nice anyway.

--
    That right there is the tittle of the hunt!

Keep it until you retire and see if you or it are in better condition.
    I agree, we'll see what wears out faster me or the 250. I'll drink to that

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bumsted200s View Post
    I agree, we'll see what wears out faster me or the 250. I'll drink to that
    Depending on your age, my bet is on the 250sx being in better shape =).

That 350x needs a timing chain and the clutch basket checked to grooves (clutch sort of sticks when riding fairly hard).

Here is my "ugly" machine which was the first 350x I could find in my price range... it was a "non runner" even though it just needed gas. I swapped the engine + dg exhaust out on it and replaced a few other things, been a good daily rider and really reliable. Yes... the front fork is bent pretty bad, I have a replacement, just haven't installed yet. It has new tires since then too. Seems a lot of people around my area are really cheap on their repairs, I find a bunch of trashed machines for cheap, but the ones that look "ok" or better are generally $1000+.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0225.jpg   DSCN0224.jpg   DSCN0223.jpg   DSCN0222.jpg   DSCN0221.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //