//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: One year upgrades! 1984 ATC500X

--
    What is the exhaust sourced from? It sort of looks like a 450R but not sure.

I can see why the intake is how it is now, almost need an updraft old old carb like the old 50's tractors .

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks red rider! Yup. It's tight. Like everything else on this build haha. But yes before and after I finished the intake I mounted and tested it. The throttle works without any issues. I'll post a picture of how I routed it. The angle isn't bad. And yes, the muffler is from a 450r. I picked it because of the angle where it ducks back into the frame. And it fit absolutely perfectly for this build! Yeah the intake is a gamble. It may be fine, it may run like crap, it may not run at all haha. But I'm hoping for the best

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    I am enjoying watching the progress. It will be a great build when you get it all sorted out.

I have a trike built back in the 80's before the 350x came out that is a chromoly frame with XL500 motor. The chassis was built by a legend Nick Nicholson and I am in process of restoring it now.

Search here for Nicholson and the internet lots of good information and maybe a few ideas you can use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_1112[1].jpg  

--
    This is shaping up good! It's nice to see someone use a unique frame. I like it. I'm interested in these because some day I'd like to shoehorn my spare xr 500 engine into my 350x.

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks Mr clean, I'll keep that in mind. And yeah, this build was the child of necessity, but I do like that it is unique. I've seen quite a few 350x frames on here with 500 motors. It looks like a fairly simple conversion with cool results, but the 350x frame is prone to crackling so I'm told. The 250r frame presents numerous problems for this project, but is much beefier. When it all comes together I think it will be an awesome and bullet proof machine! Here's a picture of the exhaust painted

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160317_181528.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,004.7 KB 
ID:	229376

Name:	20160321_053314.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	229377

(I stole the tires for my 200x. I'm going racing in 2 weeks! Never done it before and I'm stoked!)

Race info here
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...D-April-2-2016
    Last edited by plevib; 03-21-2016 at 09:39 PM.

--
    I stand corrected. longer intake=more torque.

--
    Looking good... Glad your sticking with it. Looking to hear a ride report soon.
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

averysdad is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I just picked up my first air cooled 250r last week. I have wanted one for a long time I may be in way over my head if it's easier to fab all that than it is to jet the carb on a 250r.

--
    That intake is not going to work.

--
    I can't wait for a ride report too jmoozy27 haha... It's absolutely easier to jet the carb, but I just got sick of trying to learn and blowing 200 bucks every time I failed.... I also missed low end grunt. And dohcbikes, you might be right. I'll find out soon enough. But my only other option is to modify the gas tank, so that's an absolute last resort.

--
    Going racing on Saturday! I'm very excited! I'll be on a 200x stop and say hey!

--
    Good luck, post some photos if you can, people here love photos, and if there are 3 wheelers in them, they love them even more =).

--
    So.... The 200 blew a bearing somewhere in the transmission, I ended up racing a 185 of my buddy's. It was still a blast. Mr twisted wheeler has the video of the two stroke class on YouTube so you should check that out for sure. He also hooked me up with a bottom end for my 200x so I'll have that running again hopefully by next race. I'll be bumping up the compression, and using a xr carb and cam if I can afford it haha. ... I'll start a thread for that project and post the link here for you guys

So back to the 500x! I do believe I'm done with the fab work. I burned the midnight oil building the engine last night. I have the wiring rigged and have spark. I'm currently draining the two stroke gas out of the tank for a test fire (posting while I wait haha). Cross your fingers!

Name:	20160407_170730.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	230243

Name:	20160407_215527.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	230244

Name:	20160408_163930.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	946.9 KB 
ID:	230245

--
    https://youtu.be/ZJZoGN-W50s

IT'S ALIVE!!!!
    started on the fourth kick! With the 250r carb without touching the jetting or anything! And it had very good throttle response for the minute I ran it! I'm so pumped! That much closer!

--
    Do you have a link to the race video?
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //