//ArrowChat Code
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: One year upgrades! 1984 ATC500X

Watford city, North Dakota United States "THE BAKKEN" / Lebanon, Oregon United states.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by plevib View Post
    Attachment 233349

Attachment 233350

Attachment 233351

New carb. I like it much better than my pj knock off (it was free) I'm ticked off at the ebayer that I got the forks from. He shipped them with one upside down in the box. I know the box probably didn't stay right side up but one fork was fine and the other leaked all the oil out.... for this race I'll just put more oil in it but it's kinda irritating.
    Dat carb tho.... it's beautiful

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Saying "it's the trikes fault" is like saying "guns kill people"
    don't poke the bear... you'll get banned

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160714_234754.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	976.5 KB 
ID:	233387

Name:	20160715_001146.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	233388

My trike was a little bow legged.... I guess maybe one shouldn't run down frozen and unknown creek beds. ...haha!

Name:	20160715_002210.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	233389

Finally a good set of forks! She's pretty. I replaced the oil in them but I haven't taken them apart yet. Progressive springs, new seals, and new boots are on the way but I wanted these puppies on for the race on Saturday!

I also cleaned the engine, installed the new cam, and used loc tite on everything going back together. Tomorrow it'll go back in and I can try out my new carb!
    Atc 500x for the win! (Hopefully.... one day)

plevib is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Something I didn't realize, I got 83 r forks and they are about a half inch shorter than the 84 and the springs are way lighter than the springs in my 84 forks (idk if they are stock or not). So I'm assuming that I'm loosing a little travel with the 83 forks, but pairing them with the 84 springs stiffened the front up nicely ( kinda like a pvc spacer) . It'll be interesting to see how it handles jumps. Obviously nothing crazy. Maybe I'll send the progressive springs back if I like this setup

--
    Something I didn't realize, I got 83 r forks and they are about a half inch shorter than the 84 and the springs are way lighter than the springs in my 84 forks (idk if they are stock or not). So I'm assuming that I'm loosing a little travel with the 83 forks, but pairing them with the 84 springs stiffened the front up nicely ( kinda like a pvc spacer) . It'll be interesting to see how it handles jumps. Obviously nothing crazy. Maybe I'll send the progressive springs back if I like this setup

--

Ride video! She's a monster!

https://youtu.be/ulBikrKXlQU

sorry for the wait guys, had to work more bugs out but i'm very very happy with the results!
    it was a long road here but it was worth it!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    What a great friggin build man! Nice job!
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    thumbs up for a great build. at the beginning I was like others, doubting the build. but as I read throught the entire build, im pretty impressed. I love the led 350x headlight set up. with the black housings it kinda makes it look like a zombie 350x. which is a neat look. kudos to you for sticking with it, and proving the nay sayers wrong.
    2006 Yamaha Raptor 700
    2004 Kawasaki KFX700 V Force
    1985 Suzuki LT230GE(wifes toy)
    1985 Honda ATC 70
    1979 Honda ATC 70 (daughters toy)

--
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCZ28 View Post
    thumbs up for a great build. at the beginning I was like others, doubting the build. but as I read throught the entire build, im pretty impressed. I love the led 350x headlight set up. with the black housings it kinda makes it look like a zombie 350x. which is a neat look. kudos to you for sticking with it, and proving the nay sayers wrong.

Name:	thumb (3) (1).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	234878

Here's a good shot of those zombie lights

--
    WARNING ZOMBIE THREAD! XD

So after a year with this fun toy I've got her torn all apart again

So first, while that crazy intake did work pretty well, it's poor design made the max carb size a 34mm. Which was fine for a stock motor, but with plans for some upgrades I decided to further the hacking and make room for a bigger carb
    I also had some stress cracking issues with the original front frame piece. I replaced it with a thicker wall tube with curves instead of angles. I'm very happy with the results!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    OK so first I noticed damage on the bottom case that started leaking a lot of oil. So I picked up another and swapped guts. And then the same old temptation kicked in "well while I've got this motor apart I might as well. ..."
    So, I found I used 12:1 piston and jug, I removed the counterbalancer, installed a xl flywheel which is %30 lighter, upgraded to heavy clutch springs (the clutch plates are in great shape so I decided not to replace them), plumbed in for oil coolers and a filter to dump clean, cool oil on the head, and on a side note upgraded those stupid stripped out timing mark covers (I seriously recommend this upgrade! They are 30mm and 14mm listed for a 06 cr250 but they fit old Hondas perfectly)
    I spent a pretty penny on a gorgeous header for a xr600. It will take a little work to make it fit but the stock tubes are 24mm and this header is 28mm.

--
    OK so on to the most important part of any 4 stroke engine. The head!
    So the head I had on the bike was totally clapped out. Every single bolt was stripped, helicoiled, and stripped out again. The valve guides were very worn too. So I decided to just put the head out of its misery and buy a different one. Well long story short, the eBay head I got had a marred cam journal because ebay sucks, so I ended up with a free head that I couldn't use my cam in... well some searching around at options and I decided that I'm gonna hit two birds with one stone

Megacycle cams sells a xl 500 needle bearing cam that doesn't ride on the aluminum and I can get it in whatever grind I want. It's pricey at almost 400 dollars bit since I got the head for free my budget might be able to handle that! So I'm going full poor boy wanna be race setup with this head. I ported the head to match the 42mm mikuni I picked up, as well as the exhaust side to match the 28mm head pipes. I was able to grind down the emission bumps and the transition to the valves.

So now to my conundrum. Info on hot rodding this engine is scarce, and this is the first time I've gone this far in a head. I've got a cam picked out that I think would compliment the rest of the engine, says good strong mid range and upper. It's .410 lift and says it needs shortened valve guides (stock lift is like .330) and obviously race springs and keepers. The valve guides that are in it are in great shape, so I'm hoping to shorten them with an end mill and home made guide. The issue is I don't have a good idea how far I'll have to go.... so I'm probably going to have to order the cam, and assemble the head on a bench and see how far down it pushes the valve and how much I'll have to shave off. I know someone is gonna say that I'm doing this all wrong haha... but as previously stated, I don't have a ton of money to give to a machine shop. I'm guessing it would be well over 1000 dollars to have this done at a shop

--
    Oh, and here is what it was looking like up til a couple weeks ago when I tore it apart again

--
    The ascott head should have bigger valves and better ports as for the flywheel why use the xr one?
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    The ascott head should have bigger valves and better ports as for the flywheel why use the xr one?
    I actually had a ft head on it and the valves are identical to the xl/xr. It just has larger flanges for the exhaust and no decompression setup. As for the flywheel, the xr flywheel is %30 lighter than the xl. I should have taken a picture comparing the two, it is a significant difference. That paired with the removal of the counter balancer should make this a teeth rattling, shoulder popping rev machine ď

--
    Still got that head apart? Might want to consider putting epoxy on the intake floors to flatten them out a bit, it should make a diffence at higher rpm, but don't take my word for it, do a little reading if you're into spending a few more hours on your project.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //