//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dual, Purpose Built 250Rs - build thread

JesseA420 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    what does the engraving say on the bottom of the cylinder right below the reed block intake tract area?

--
    JesseA420 - I forgot to get the numbers off the bottom of the intake of the cylinder last night. I'll try to remember this weekend.

Now it's back to two steps forward one step back. Not sure what is the problem here - either the rads or the hoses - it's looking like the hoses. I sincerely hope I can cut some extra length out of the hoses to get the kinks out. Where the one hose leaves the head - it is too long, thus folding the hose which will restrict flow. Then the hose that is near the pipe - is obviously way too long. Gonna try my hand at trimming them to fit this weekend. As is the one really smushes into the pipe. See pics.

Finally the bike as she sits now. It is really coming together and I am liking the color scheme. I think I am going to put blue number backgrounds on the rear fenders to pull it all together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160331_223708284.jpg   IMG_20160331_223750466.jpg   IMG_20160331_232601036.jpg  
    Last edited by atctim; 06-06-2016 at 10:56 AM.
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    What triples and forks/hub/axle are you running? Looks slick.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by loganm View Post
    What triples and forks/hub/axle are you running? Looks slick.
    See post #23 & #24

JesseA420 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    there shouldnt be much of a problem trimming the front radiator hoses, but as close as the pipe is to the cylinder, it looks like its going to smash into the pipe hard no matter how much you trim off of it, might just be the pic tho.

below the reed cage intake area will tell you what length stroke the cylinder is ported for, and what type of porting if any was initially done on the cylinder from eddie.

bike is really looking good!

--
    Not too much progress to report - but also not too far from the Dune / Drag bike being done. The TT bike swinger is done and assembled. Now just waiting on PC for the frame and misc pieces. It should go together much quicker as it was a whole complete runner when I tore it down to redo it. Just adding some new "go-fast"parts during the build up. Here is the Dune /Drag bike, "Arnold" on it's wheels and nearing completion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160411_164334506.jpg   IMG_20160411_164548486.jpg  

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Looking great Tim!

--
    I'm getting this one really buttoned up. Matter of fact - I am not really going to go any further on it until I get "Danny" to this point. I have the second one "Danny" all ready to reassemble. Just waiting on Powder Coating for "Danny". This coming weekend should be great. I have two "Mystery Trikers" coming over to help work on it. Plans for "Arnold" this weekend are to go over every nut and bolt and torque to spec (using locktite where necessary) and then marking bolts / nuts with a paint marker to ensure everything is tight and correct and ready to roll. I'll post some pics of the weekend early next week. I'm really excited to get bolting "Danny" together - PC will take probably 3 weeks.

--
    Shall I bring my torque wrench??

Will the 'mystery trikers' be wearing masks, or will we be able to discern their identity?

--
    It is up to them if they want their identities revealed or not. Generally they show up wearing some sort of fancy get up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails super-gay.jpg  

--
    Last weekend did not go as planned for the build. My Stomach Virus put a big old WHOA into my plans. One week later and I am still feeling the effects of whatever it was. On a bright side, I got all of Danny's parts back yesterday from the Powder Coater, and I dropped off the frame. Frame should be back in a week and I can start assembly on the TT / Flat track bike that is Danny. On a side note, in this month's Dirt Wheels (May 2016) they did a 4 page write up on Daryl Rath's ATC250R TT Bike. It's crazy how many of the parts I have acquired he used on his bike. Here is a picture of my PCed parts for build #2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20160421_183204538.jpg  

--
    Back at it HARD Saturday. I went from bare PC'ed frame to complete roller. It went together so easily. I had all of my parts already cleaned, greased, organized, and it made assembly smooth and enjoyable. In the past my builds have been slow going, "restoring" one piece at a time, and so much would get lost and I would spend countless minutes / hours looking for that part I just had in my hand. Here are some pics the progress I made.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dualbuild-chassis.jpg   dualbuild-chassis-front.jpg   dualbuild-front-left.jpg  

--
    Looks like I'm going to have to make the same little brackets for these oversized radiators like I did on "Arnold". No biggie, but it would be nice if they would just bolt on as they should. Clearence should not be an issue with this ST kit - thank goodness. I will need to shorten the overflow nipple as it is too long. This is true for both bikes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dualbuild-big-rads.jpg   dualbuild-big-rad-shroud-fits.jpg   dualbuild-rads-dont-fit-right.jpg  

--
    Some side by side comparison pics to illustrate the names "Danny and Arnold". Also, I haven't mentioned this, but the BIG beautiful pipe that was pictured in the early photos of Arnold has been sold. It is being replaced with a Kenny Roberts hand-made pipe. I hope to take delivery on the new pipe soon as I got word it is completed. For anyone who doesn't know Kenny's work, check out Mr Clean's bikes, or any BDT trike. They are amazing pipes to say the least! And a bit of a history lesson, the pipe going on the Vintage bike, "Danny" is a Selvy's Sonic II pipe, that was made 30 years ago by none other than Kenny Roberts. Funny how these things play out!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dualbuild-both-left-side.jpg   dualbuild-chassis-head-on.jpg   dualbuild-rear-comparo.jpg   danny-arnold.jpg  
    Last edited by atctim; 05-03-2016 at 01:50 PM.

--
    Here is a picture from Pine Lake - Ashtabula 2014. After asking Rob Selvy to try to ID the pipe I had on my bike (I got this pipe from Mr Clean back in 2013) Rob Selvy and Kenny Roberts had just verified that the pipe was indeed made by Kenny back in the day and sold as the "Selvy's Sonic II". David Ham, "Captain" Nick Walters (yourlossmygain) and Jonathan Honnerlaw (Xowner) pictured as well - what a crew of enthusiasts - what a cool day that was. Thinking back to that event, that moment in time where these legends identified my pipe, and then fine tuned my clutch pull - joking around and having fun with some of my best trike buddies - it makes me smile. Now I just need Rob to send me some Selvy's decals to complete this bike. How about it Mr Selvy?????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sonicII.jpg  

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //