//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Auto x engine ?

--

Auto x engine ?

Will a plane Honda atc 200 engine bolt into a 85 200x chassis ?
    our original 85 we bought new, 2 - 86 police specials
    250r dust runner
    04 Yamaha kodiaK 450 snowbuster ! Brute Force 750 dust collector .
    Bunch of es stuff I been buying for next builds....
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    Yes, it will bolt right in. If you search the topic, there have been several build threads with pics. The only fab work needed is for the rear brake pedal. The 200X originally used the clutch cover as the mounting location, a rather odd design.
    1985 Tri-Z 250
    1985 ATC250R

--
    Awesome. thanks ...now to get the frame !
    250r dust runner
    Gone but lives on in my aching body the mighty 350x collection . A Beat 85 es im gonna rebuild

--
    The shifter is a bit longer on the 200/200s/185/185s engines (you'd be shifting with your toes basically), using the 200x shifter and heating + bending it outward to clear makes shifting a little easier.

Another small issue is electric power output on the 200/185 engine is 50w vs 68w on the 200x, the headlight will be slightly dimmer. You can replace the headlight bulb with a 45w/45w H4 bulb for a motorcycle.

Engine wiring is not a direct hookup, I made a thread about adapters in this section just lately to make this plug and play. The other option is to swap the lighing coil from the 200x stator to the 200/185 stator. I'm pretty sure you have to solder the wire, and requires a flywheel puller.

If you use the 200x harness, then all of the handlebar switches etc don't need anything done with them. I'm not sure if the 185/200 harness hooks up the same, but I do know it can be used enough to make the machine run. The 200X cdi might possibly have a more aggressive timing curve which a modified engine, or 200x top end engine would benefit from (unconfirmed).

Rear brake lever is the biggest hurdle to get past, one of the people I know is running a long brake line from the front handle bars to the rear caliper so only hand rear brake.

You can use the top end of the 200x on both 200 and 185 bottom ends, the 200x piston is higher compression, and gives the engines a bit more of a punch.

--
    Supposed to pick up a frame sunday . I was thinking about using my wiring harness . but this is just a project as of now unless I come across a seat , tank , fenders .... you get the picture ..lol.... So would you say the 200x has what 2 or 3 more hp than my 200 which I figure at 12.5 hp....
    250r dust runner

--
    When I picked up the pile atc 200 I originally thought about finding another heald big tire mini bike and installing the engine on it .... So which way would you guys go ? Neither project will be ridden much.. Just something to get the mail with ...
    250r dust runner

--
    Based on the service manual it says the 83-85 200x is "18ps" which is a direct translation to 18hp.
    The 84-86 atc200s service manual says the engine is 13.5BHP which I know stands for Brake Horse Power. I did a quick google search to "convert" the value to HP, and this is the result:

13.5 Brake horsepower [bhp] = 13.687 Horsepower [HP]

Seems the 9.6:1 vs 7.8:1 compression makes a good deal more HP .

--
    If all you're going to do is ride this trike up and down dirt roads, I say go the cheaper way. If you're even considering going on rougher ground, I say go with the auto x. The suspension is pretty good unless you're a bigger guy or you want to catch a lot of air.

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    I will say this my 200x has alot more get up and go compared to my dads plain 200.

RUNMEDOWN is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ps2fixer View Post
    Seems the 9.6:1 vs 7.8:1 compression makes a good deal more HP .
    If you open the bore or pull the piston out of the cylinder for any reason you will at least have to hone it out to break the glaze. (As soon as a piston is pulled from a cylinder after being run for a decent amount of time it will never seat correctly again without a good honing) So you may as well go with the 10.25:1 Weisco piston. Use the 200e valve cover for the compression release, makes it easier to start.
    85 ATC110 - The Greatest ATC of all time - (My First - new in 85)
    83 FL250 - Odyssey w/420cc - SOLD
    82 185s -10.25:1 piston, Full 200x upper, Goki Electric start - SOLD
    84 200x - Auto-X - Weisco Hi-comp, Cam'd, Bassani'd, Westcoast swinger, -SOLD
    82 200E Big Red -SOLD
    85 ATC250ES Big Red - Snow Plow !

--
    ^b.s. if the bore is good and the piston fits right (as measured by a real mechanic) there's not always a need to hone, and doing so can yield undesirable measurements.

--
    Why do you want an auto? It's not a bolt in job and most never finish correctly

--
    I build one up years ago. Never could pull start the motor. People only do it if they blew up the 200x motor. It's a better chassis the 200x but your limited to bent front forks, little to no rear suspension always being too hard. If its about free maybe I'd build one but the auto-x is not all what is cracked up to be...not if you want to do anything more then crawl around some small hills and trails.

if you do one right I sure it would be fun...if you do it half rigged well your only kidding yourself.

Shifter, foot pedal are things you need to swap/mod or rig up. 200x's have lots of trouble with factory axles bending, no selection for rear sprockets, normally never have skid plates either on swing arms...most swinger axle bolts are froze in, front forks bend, brakes never working but a rebuild fixes that.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RUNMEDOWN View Post
    If you open the bore or pull the piston out of the cylinder for any reason you will at least have to hone it out to break the glaze. (As soon as a piston is pulled from a cylinder after being run for a decent amount of time it will never seat correctly again without a good honing) So you may as well go with the 10.25:1 Weisco piston. Use the 200e valve cover for the compression release, makes it easier to start.
    Not saying that is a bad idea, but sometimes projects are on a tight budget. Running on regular pump gas is another benefit for most people that are not trying to race. +1 for the 200e/es valve cover for the compression release though.

I agree with oldskool83, if the bore is in good shape there is no requirement to hone, however if you own a hone, it isn't a bad idea to give it a light hit, it helps show deeper scratches that might have been nearly impossible to see before hand. Those deeper scratches won't seat with the rings for a long time and by then the rest of the cyl will be worn a bit too.

Quote Originally Posted by oldskool83 View Post
    ...most swinger axle bolts are froze in, front forks bend, brakes never working but a rebuild fixes that.
    Sounds like you're talking about the 200x's I have here that I'll probably be parting out lol. Seems they have broken fenders more often too. One through a timing chain idling... when the day before it was being rode by my cousin. Going to swap that out some day...

--
    I have a 200 engine that runs good and the chassis was stripped so I pulled the engine and now want it on something I can at least start up and go get the mail = instead of setting it on the shelf in the garage ....I don't need to go fast = been there, done that ! Just something to tinker on .
    250r dust runner

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //