//ArrowChat Code

Thread: starter ? re: 82200E

Tomcall is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

starter ? re: 82200E

Replaced the ignition coil, rectifier, battery, cdi, and starter switch assembly. It was starting fine with the electric start until recently when I press the starter button I get a whrrrrring noise from the starter switch assembly and the starter never kicks in. I cleaned all the connections, but still...
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

YamaBoss is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Are you saying your starter spins but it doesn't turn the motor over? If so you have a bad starter clutch.

--
    No, the starter does nothing. the noise is from the starter switch (not sure of the correct name), behind the battery. I have attached a pic. The switch is new and all connections cleaned up when installed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullSizeRender.jpg  

YamaBoss is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    That's a solenoid. Take a screwdriver and jump the two connections on it and see if it starts. If so your solenoid is bad.

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Is it a spinning noise ( no load ) or a clicking noise ( connect / dis-connect ) ? You say whrrrring , thats sounds like starter spinning but not engaging .

--
    I stand corrected. the starter is whirring and the solenoid is clicking at the same time. Now, I think it is important to say I had the left side case off before I had a problem. getting the case on with the gears matching up to the holes in the side case was tricky. Could I have messed up something putting the side case back on. The one gear was kind of floppy and I could easily pull it out of the inner gear it was connected to. I tried to be sure it was pushed all the way on that gear, and I did get the case on without a :}
    I will try crossing the solenoid as well. I guess the starter could have gone bad from when it was working just a short time ago.
    Any additional feed back is welcome
    Thanks

--
    crossed the solenoid and same thing.
    I suspect the starter. I picked up a used one from eBay. I'll cross my fingers.
    Can anyone tell me if I have to take off the the left side case to get the starter out? I unbolted and unscrewed everything and loosened the exhaust to make room. Only the out casing came off and the inner workings don't just slide out.

--
    I was able to pull the cover off easily and I see the o ring on the end of the cover. The innards don't want to slide out. I can see in pics there is a gear that slides into the gears on the left side. I assumed it would just slide out but no go. I am trying to be careful and not damage anything. Is it possible the gear on the end of the starter is frozen in there?

--
    well here's the rest of the story as Paul Harvey would say.
    I managed to get the starter out with some encouragement. I decide there is something wrong with the starter and get a used one on Ebay. I install it and guess what I still get the whrrrrring sound. I think this couldn't be the starter and in cases like this it is usually ME.
    So I take the left side case off again. I hit the starter and the starter gear goes round just fine, only problem it isn't touching any other gears.
    I'm thinking what the hell. So, brilliant that I am, I start banging on the starter to try and get the starter gear closer the other gear. Well, you already know that doesn't work. so I'm thinking does the starter gear pop in and out when starting? Finally I go to the manual and find pictures of the left side gears and what do you know I have the damn gear on backwards (see pic). See, I told you it was ME:roll eyes: Slap it all back together and starter runs fine and the trike even starts.

So what's wrong with this picture!! If you don't know then I feel much better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0276.jpeg  

--
    Turns out I didn't place the gears back on correctly when I had the left side case open. Duh!! So the gear on the starter wasn't touching the gear it needed to turn. It was just spinning away.
    Once I could see the pic of how it looks in my manual it was obvious what was wrong. Got it back together and starts up just fine and dandy. I swear. You know that feeling when you can't figure it out and reach a point where you know in your gut it's something you did or didn't do, esp. when all the suggestions and research doesn't match what you are experiencing. There must be a term for this? Like: Oh sh*t what did I do or miss? Well, thats not a word, more of a phrase. What about "amateur error", or "so simple you can't see it"...............Anyway, I am relieved and so glad it works and starts.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //