//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage tool thread. Post up yours!

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --

Vintage tool thread. Post up yours!

ETA: Thread title change. I have now made this the official 3WW vintage tool thread!!! (In my officially unofficial capacity. )

Anybody into old tools?

Found this floor jack on craigslist:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Floor Jack.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	228307

Name:	Floor jack2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	186.3 KB 
ID:	228308

Name:	Floor Jack3.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	228309

Name:	Floor Jack4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	228310

Manufactured some time in the 40's(?). Held up the back of my Silverado 2500 for 3 hours without losing any elevation. The last few inches are slow to bleed down. Once I get some spare time I'll pull it apart and clean it and install new seals (yup, you can get replacement seals)

I also got a 60's Wayne 2 stage compressor pump with a Westinghouse electric motor. I removed them off of the compressor tank that had several rust holes in the bottom. Parts are still available for the pump, except for pistons, but the pump runs great and is amazingly quiet compared to my single stage 5 horse Ingersoll Rand that is on it's deathbed, and 20 years newer. Ill post some pics up of the compressor tomorrow.
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 02-27-2016 at 09:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Never collected them per say, but I have some 1/2" drive Snap-On and Grey tools that my Grandfather passed on to my uncle who then gave them to me. No idea on the age, but I would guess the 30's or 40's? My Dad still has (and uses) the honey separator my grandfather made about 80 years ago. When I say "he made" I mean "HE MADE"!

The nuts and bolts are all made of hand forged bar that was then cut with a hacksaw and drilled and threaded with hand tools. He was the local jack of all trades in the area. Dad said he would build you a house for $15 bucks in the 30's including the fireplace and chimney. He made most of his own tools, but most sold at auction when he sold the farm. My Dad still has a few I'll own some day. All the handles are made of deer antlers.

--
    I inherited a lot of old tools from my grandfather, a snap-on chest and with lots of goodies inside. He was an auto mechanic for years and an avid yard sale/garage sale guy. This is what I'm most excited about.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	228314

Views:	60 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	228315
    I can run a wood lathe but this one looks a bit more complex. I also have the original motor and boxes of tooling for it.
    82 250r
    83 Big Red
    85 Auto-x
    If you've done business with me please leave me feedback
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=Bren_downe

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    The term tool to me , means anything you work with or does a job . So I have alot of them that were used and passed down to me from family . From vintage hand tools to a 10 inch black iron skillet from the 50's . I have a street light that came out of a section of St. Louis called gas light square , its dated Oct. 31st 1895 . Still has the hand blown glass in it . Dormeyer stand mixer came from my grandmother dated to the early 40's . Still works and you can still buy parts . Great thread , hope I'm not taking it in the wrong direction .

Chop

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    OMG . Bren thats a metal lath . As I made my first post I was thinking of the lath my Grandpa had . I used to turn punches on that thing when I was in grade school . I ended up with it , and gave it away . Makes me sick that I did that . His was a Dunlap , but looked like your craftsman , so yours was most likely made by Dunlap . Wow .

P. S. I can try to help you with the set up of that if needed . Long time ago , but I still remember

Chop
    Last edited by Chopsaw; 02-27-2016 at 01:16 AM.

--
    I'm pretty sure it's made by atlas? I'll have to check the tag again. It's in very nice shape, the pics don't do it justice. I'd like to get some soft material(Delrin?) to practice before I start turning metal. It also has a pass thru? Chuck, for gun barrels? Not sure if that's a standard thing.
    82 250r
    83 Big Red
    85 Auto-x

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren_downe View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's made by atlas? I'll have to check the tag again. It's in very nice shape, the pics don't do it justice. I'd like to get some soft material(Delrin?) to practice before I start turning metal. It also has a pass thru? Chuck, for gun barrels? Not sure if that's a standard thing.
    That's a great lathe, nice size for trike parts too. Atlas makes a nice product, that has been badged by many companies including Montgomery Wards (Remember them?)

The pass thru is normal on a lathe. Your best bet is to start with a easy material like aluminum, you can buy end cuts or drops from aluminum recycler's buy the pound and it is pretty cheap. Delrin is a great material, but is difficult is you don't have experience at first.

Let me know if I can help, with any good lathe the tooling is the key.
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren_downe View Post
    I inherited a lot of old tools from my grandfather, a snap-on chest and with lots of goodies inside. He was an auto mechanic for years and an avid yard sale/garage sale guy. This is what I'm most excited about.

Views:	79 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	228314

Views:	60 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	228315
    I can run a wood lathe but this one looks a bit more complex. I also have the original motor and boxes of tooling for it.
    I have a 10 inch Atlas lathe that is very similar to yours. Yup, yours was probably made by Atlas, Sears rebranded them to Craftsman. Still lots of parts, tooling and accessories available on ebay. I don't know about turning gun barrels, but my Dad has made harmonic dampeners for a couple of his target rifles on the one I have. I have a little project I'm going to try to get to today, if I have the time to get around to it I'll post up some pics.

Either way I'll post some pics of the lathe up a little later.
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopsaw View Post
    The term tool to me , means anything you work with or does a job . So I have alot of them that were used and passed down to me from family . From vintage hand tools to a 10 inch black iron skillet from the 50's . I have a street light that came out of a section of St. Louis called gas light square , its dated Oct. 31st 1895 . Still has the hand blown glass in it . Dormeyer stand mixer came from my grandmother dated to the early 40's . Still works and you can still buy parts . Great thread , hope I'm not taking it in the wrong direction .

Chop
    Yer good man!! I think your definition of tool is spot on! Wrenches, hand-made specialty tools, power tools, whatever. Post ' em up!
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 02-27-2016 at 09:29 AM.

--
    Not sure what some consider vintage?
    Stuff changes all the time

--
    This one is in my shop, good tool, solid as a rock.
    Circa 1940's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Oh this is a fun thread. I'm diggin it

the bench vise i use on the daily is 106 years old. I'll get a picture next time im in the garage.

--
    I haven't been able to find a picture of Barnett yet, but when I do, I'll update this post.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    These are pretty cool, not sure what they're for, maybe a printing press? Old school label maker? I thought they were cool because I lived in Waltham for a time.

Views:	32 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	228505

Views:	45 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	228506

Views:	29 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	228507
    82 250r
    83 Big Red
    85 Auto-x

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    ^^^ Look like VIN stamping tools to me. Matching engine/chassis numbers? No problem!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //