//ArrowChat Code

Thread: KTM guys I need help...KTM 525 XC looking at buying have some questions

AJZ_200X is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

KTM guys I need help...KTM 525 XC looking at buying have some questions

Ok I know my Hondas and yamahas very well but I am new to the KTM side of things. So I am need of help on this one.

ATV: 2008 KTM 525 XC ATV

I went to look at this machine today at a dealership on the other side of the state and it seems to be clean all around. I know the KTMs are rare birds and are becoming hard to find so I am on the hunt. Anyway the axle, frame, tires, suspension, fenders etc. are all in great condition considering its age. Now for the bad...I got down to look at the motor to check things over and find a massive oil leak (dark oil and burnt bad) coming from the head exhaust ports (dual exhaust header). No big deal here...seemed to be a minor fix with some new gaskets, right? Well there's more.

Now for the real bad part...I took the KTM for a test drive and noticed black burnt oil (again) coming from the rear exhaust pipe with a gradual drip at idle which did not stop for 5-6 minutes while I spoke with the salesman (did not mention to him this issue). Once the bike was warmed up 15-20 min later it still smoked a ton and dripped oil (more than normal for any 4 stroke). I noticed the crank was squealing loud at idle...much noisier than any 4 stroke i've owned.

So I started my check process like normal....checked the oil level which was on point - after warmed up. I checked the crankcase overflow which was dry. Compression was great.

So needless to say, I went home without a KTM. Just looking for some answers as to what causes this? This was enough to walk away...something spooked me. Never ran into this issue in the past with any 4 stroke....2 strokes this would be completely normal

--
    something is very wrong, rings on piston, valves, valve guides and valve seals are on the list. At the minimum as its a dealer selling it, they should have noticed it longs ago and replaced the top end. It just means more stuff is hiding to me, if that is what they trying to pass it off. Those quads had some issues, the crank tended to spread alot(it was later fixed), the large magnets in the flywheel tended to pull the crankout(DJH on ktmtalk has a fix for that), there was a recall on gas caps and something about rear brake calipers breaking off.

--
    Run, don't walk... away.
    It sucks to get old

AJZ_200X is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thank you very much for the response deathman53 and El Camexican. I called the dealer this afternoon just to inform them of my findings because I was still pissed off over their negligence in selling a quad that had some serious issues. I narrowed it down to valve guide or seals that are the issue which I expressed to them, however, their response was that the unit was sold and they thanked me for my input What a shitty way to do business.

--
    Unfortunately dealers have to eat like everyone else. I hated selling used vehicles. A modern 4 stroke you don't know the history of is not something you want to rebuild unless you get the vehicle for way below market value.
    It sucks to get old

--
    Exactly. Rebuilding a KTM would be a pain. As a sales rep myself, I hope that the buyer of the KTM goes back to the dealer and complains. I sure would

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Damn it's sold? Ask them for the guys number you can get it cheap when it implodes on him. Most people don't realize these things aren't submarines. I.E. you're not supposed to submerge them in water and try to ride.

--
    I have a 06 ktm 450exc, it has a very similar motor. Biggest issues with those motors are crank spread when used in a quad or supermoto, intake valves are butter soft, oil screen bolts are easy to round the 8mm allen key/13mm bolt(do not over-tighten them-just alittle over 1 turn on ratchet after finger tight), reverse nut on crank tends to loosen and quad specific issue with large magnets pulling against the crank. I never had the big issues, valves were replaced at 360 hours(from what I am told way more than most of them turn - 200 hours the most). I still have factory 8mm/13mm oil screen bolts(give them a few raps with and warmed up motor before trying to remove) and only time messed with crank nut(never loosened) is when I removed all the e-start stuff and heavy crank weight. I have over 420 hours on it now, only motor related problem with silencer broke off after trying to remove it to re-pack it(was rust-welded to head pipe).

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //