//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a 1985 250sx

--
    Quote Originally Posted by UPNATM View Post
    Unfortunately, you don't have enough posts, or time here on the forum to access the classified section. My advice to you would be just what you did, post what your looking for here in your thread. You seem to be getting a pretty fair amount of traffic here.
    That's what I figured. Do you know how many posts are needed? I read the rules but didn't see it listed, or maybe I missed it. Never mind, found what I needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley250R View Post
    Could it be as simple as the on/off gas cap vent being clogged? After you stall it try opening the the cap to allow air in and see if it starts.
    I did open the cap once and it made a pretty loud suction noise. I have also heard similar but less noticeable bubbling/slow suction noises around the gas tank. Thank you for the tip I will check that out today as well.
    Last edited by daves88; 03-18-2016 at 03:55 PM.

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    sounds like it was the cap then . My 85 was runnin the bowl dry too. One thing that gets over looked is the pick up screen in the tank that controls the reserve level . Mine was blocked . Like I said , yours sounds like its the cap .

--
    Can the caps be fixed or are they usually easier to just replace?

--
    I think they can be fixed. Should be how to videos on youtube

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley250R View Post
    I think they can be fixed. Should be how to videos on youtube
    Found a couple vids, Thanks!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by daves88 View Post

Is there a way to test it without having a spare on hand? Also with a quick ebay search I see that there are new one listed for under $35 but they state that they are only compatible with 86-87 model years. Is the cdi for the 85 different?
    Quote Originally Posted by another owner View Post

Yes, if I remember right, the difference is that and 85 only has one connector vs the 86/87 that has two. They for sure carry different part numbers.

--
    It started right up today. I let it warm up and then ripped around until I got it to cut out and stall. Cracked open the gas cap and then it started right up. Ripped it around until I got it to cut out and stall a second time, but this time I tried to start it before cracking the gas cap but had no luck. I took the gas cap apart and the inside was clean. I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it was the culprit. I then managed to lose a small rubber grommet so I put it together without it. I ripped it around for a few and it never cut out. I ran some wheelies to make sure it didn't leak without the grommet and so far all seems to be well. Maybe that little rubber piece wasn't really needed. I will need some more ride time on it to be certain that it doesn't happen again.

Tomorrow I will be doing the front brakes. I am also thinking about looking into adjusting the valves? I assume it would be a good idea seeing that it is 30 years old.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by UPNATM View Post
    Yes, if I remember right, the difference is that and 85 only has one connector vs the 86/87 that has two. They for sure carry different part numbers.
    Good info there. Thank you for sharing, I will have to keep it mind.

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

Check out this guy on Facebook. He recently posted a picture of a bunch of parts and parts machines in the back of his pick up truck. I thought I saw a rack in there.
    Good luck.

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    You need the seal . Clean the vent hole in the cap . Search thru old threads on here .

BigRedGrizzly is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

--
    I saw his listing the other day. Someone already inquired about the racks and he stated they were sold. Thanks for the lead though.

ArizonaATC is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Looks mint!

--
    So, i'm curious. What's the final verdict? Tank not breathing, carb, ??

--
    My 250es had a frayed wire that would hit a bare spot on the frame now and then and kill it. It only happened now and then, until I went for a swim in about 2' of water with a little salt in it and that sucker would die every time you splashed water.
    Present trikes:
    85 250es
    83 ATC 110
    Past:
    85 200X
    Trimoto 175

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //