//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 200X rear shock rebuild question

Mackus84 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

1985 200X rear shock rebuild question

Ok so im in the middle of a resto/mod on an 85 200x. Time to rebuild the shock. Im doing all work myself except the stuff i cant do. So i have the entire shock, and nitrogen canister apart per the service manual instructions. The canister had very little pressure when i depressed the valve stem. That means it has all leaked out right? Or does it just happen, as in depressurizes over 30 years? Im assuming the former, and that it has leaked out. With that being said, that means the shock needs new seals and what not, but the manual states to just replace it. Is there not a way to replace the seals? Ive only been able to find one rebuild kit for the rear. Which seems odd to me since most parts are plentiful. Does this look like what i need to rebuild it, or no?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2016-03-01-19-17-00.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	228467
    Last edited by Mackus84; 03-01-2016 at 08:48 PM.

Mackus84 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Btw, it did still have fluid in the damper, just no pressure in the nitrogen canister

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    It probably just depressurized over time if there was no fluid leaking out of the shock. Dump all the old fluid out and replace the seals and replace the fluid with automatic transmission fluid. Now you could have a hard time finding someone to fill your nitrogen cartridge back up. I know it took hours of calling every contact and motorcycle, atv shop in town until I found someone who could fill the shock.

--
    Ok. Ill get all that done. And yeah i called a few dealerships around town to see if they could fill it, and they couldnt but they referred me to a motorcycle suspension place like 5 minutes from my house so i got that covered

--
    Niice! If you get this kit and do the rebuild yourself, I'd really like to see how the job goes. Please post pics as you dig into your shock. Thanks in advance!

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //