//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 200x Rebuild: Round Two

xrider is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --

200x Rebuild: Round Two

Good evening everyone. I figured I would go ahead and get a thread posted up for this since I have begun tear down. The last time I raced my 200x was in January 2013 and I lost 3rd gear at the time. It has been sitting under a cover in the corner of the garage since. Fast forward to today and I have finally decided to rebuild the engine and go through the chassis. I pulled the motor out today and dropped it off with my engine builder. For those who don’t remember my last motor build, I placed a link below and a summary of the performance. This time around we’re looking to squeeze as much power out of the motor as possible. We have a few new tricks up our sleeves, so we will see how much we can improve on the old numbers. This will be a slow build as I want to group the powdercoating and polishing together with my Cagiva, but I will post pics throughout the process. As with all my builds, I will post full dyno charts at the end.

•Current Specs: 25.56 HP@ 9,000 RPM / 16.33 Torque @ 7,300 RPM

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...e-Engine-Build

--
    Did you look into the kit that Mickey D made?? IDK the cost but he knows his 1st gens 200X.

Hopefully, he'll take on the 86/87 for us other guys.

Calfab - droooooool.....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtcrasher View Post
    Did you look into the kit that Mickey D made?? IDK the cost but he knows his 1st gens 200X.

Hopefully, he'll take on the 86/87 for us other guys.

Calfab - droooooool.....
    If he sold the big bore separate I'd be all over it, but he only sells it together with his stroker. I'm still stuck on my Sparks stroker crank. It's a 6 mil stroker that uses a full length xr200 rod rather than the sandwich rod BS that Powroll offered. It's the best setup we have found by far. I've always been able to pull the most power by reducing reciprocating mass and going the stroker route on the 200x. I was .40 over on the this last motor so this one will be settling in at .60 over on bore size.

--
    Your gonna gusset the frame correct? it will not be long before you crack it into several pieces if not.
    talk to Milner (onformula1) about suspension work. he can work with you to rebuild the rear shock and front forks to run much better!
    get your new gear set cyro treated and the clutch basket parts as well. this will help strengthen the drive train to handle the more power. (having to do this for Baja trikes, as well as my son;s racing 90YZ modded motor.)

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Your gonna gusset the frame correct? it will not be long before you crack it into several pieces if not.
    talk to Milner (onformula1) about suspension work. he can work with you to rebuild the rear shock and front forks to run much better!
    get your new gear set cyro treated and the clutch basket parts as well. this will help strengthen the drive train to handle the more power. (having to do this for Baja trikes, as well as my son;s racing 90YZ modded motor.)
    Yep, I gusseted the frame when we did the modifications for the FCR carb a few years ago. A lot of weak spots on the early 200x frames. Suspension wise I am running a White Bros HD rear shock and NASA fork adjusters up front. I have a set of White Bros progressive springs I'm going to add while I have it apart. I'll have to reach out to Milner as I could use someone to freshen up the rear shock. The cryo treatment is a good call, I'll have to look into that once the tranny is ready. We're doing the 3rd gear countershaft mod to help with engagement.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by xrider View Post
    Yep, I gusseted the frame when we did the modifications for the FCR carb a few years ago. A lot of weak spots on the early 200x frames. Suspension wise I am running a White Bros HD rear shock and NASA fork adjusters up front. I have a set of White Bros progressive springs I'm going to add while I have it apart. I'll have to reach out to Milner as I could use someone to freshen up the rear shock. The cryo treatment is a good call, I'll have to look into that once the tranny is ready. We're doing the 3rd gear countershaft mod to help with engagement.
    Who did you find to do the 3rd gear mod? I called every shop I knew in the tri-state area with blue prints on how to do it and they wouldn't touch that mod because they said a special jig had to be made to modify.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    That's some pretty good power you're getting out of that 200.

Yaegerb, I just get yourself a few files and some emery cloth and have at it. I've done this lots of times on various transmissions for shifting under power without the clutch

--
    one thing i forgot to add. Polish the gear set before you cryo it. this will relieve the stress risers and remove all burs and edges to keep them form starting a fracture.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    My engine builder (Knobbies Motorsports) is doing the modification.

Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Who did you find to do the 3rd gear mod? I called every shop I knew in the tri-state area with blue prints on how to do it and they wouldn't touch that mod because they said a special jig had to be made to modify.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by loganm View Post
    That's some pretty good power you're getting out of that 200.

Yaegerb, I just get yourself a few files and some emery cloth and have at it. I've done this lots of times on various transmissions for shifting under power without the clutch
    Here is the procedure....you aren't doing this with a file. It needs a lathe.

"A machine cut is taken on the dog side of the third gear (countershaft side). A .040 in. cut is taken on the shim surface to allow the gear to engage further into fourth gear. Since the gear is now moved over .040 inches an extra .040 in. shim is placed on the other side to take up the slack."
    Last edited by yaegerb; 03-07-2016 at 03:12 PM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by xrider View Post
    My engine builder (Knobbies Motorsports) is doing the modification.
    excellent. if I ever need something like this done in the future, I will give them a buzz. Thanks!

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Here is the procedure....you aren't doing this with a file. It needs a lathe.

"A machine cut is taking on the dog side of the third gear (countershaft side). A .040 in. cut is taken on the shim surface to allow the gear to engage further into fourth gear. Since the gear is now moved over .040 inches an extra .040 in. shim is placed on the other side to take up the slack."
    Ahh, I see why you would be weary of attempting that with a file. Fear not, you can send them to me and I will do it for a low low price of $20. I have no fear when it comes to working on precision machined parts with a hand file.

--
    That's pretty lame for excuses. A machine shop not willing to make a temp fixture won't be in business for one-offs very long. If the customer is willing to pay the labor and mtrl cost then what's the problem?

Secondly, if its just a face cut to make the gear .040 narrower, that could just as easily be done in a mill as a lathe. An even number of gear teeth is easily held in a standard Kurt vice but if that isn't possible, we have three jaw chucks, collet fixtures, or electromagnetic chucks (uses magnetism to hold magnetic materials from the bottom face.....like on precision surface grinders) just to name a few methods. There are only 112 ways to skin the same cat.

I used to recut the dogs on outboard motor gear faces regularly in a vertical CNC mill for those asshats who think its cool to slam their Basstracker in reverse at full speed so I know it can be done.

I would offer my services, Brendon, but I'm absolutely buried with work for the next few months.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    That's pretty lame for excuses. A machine shop not willing to make a temp fixture won't be in business for one-offs very long. If the customer is willing to pay the labor and mtrl cost then what's the problem?

Secondly, if its just a face cut to make the gear .040 narrower, that could just as easily be done in a mill as a lathe. An even number of gear teeth is easily held in a standard Kurt vice but if that isn't possible, we have three jaw chucks, collet fixtures, or electromagnetic chucks (uses magnetism to hold magnetic materials from the bottom face.....like on precision surface grinders) just to name a few methods. There are only 112 ways to skin the same cat.

I used to recut the dogs on outboard motor gear faces regularly in a vertical CNC mill for those asshats who think its cool to slam their Basstracker in reverse at full speed so I know it can be done.

I would offer my services, Brendon, but I'm absolutely buried with work for the next few months.

No worries brother, I sold the 200x. When I was searching around for the 3rd gear mod a few years ago, I didn't even know a gem like you existed. Had we known each other at the time you would have gotten my work for sure. I will keep you in mind for any mods in the future

--
    No worries brother, I sold the 200x. When I was searching around for the 3rd gear mod a few years ago, I didn't even know a gem like you existed. Had we known each other at the time you would have gotten my work for sure. I will keep you in mind for any mods in the future
    I wouldn't say "gem"..... more like lump of coal in transition

But hey, thanks anyway

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //