//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Something is Definitely Wrong...

--
    Could he be suggesting your rare kick shaft is broken in 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Chris

84 125m
    83 185s
    83 185s
    83 185s
    84 200es

250ES5984 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by sammiefish View Post
    Could he be suggesting your rare kick shaft is broken in 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably, and I just didn't catch on. I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

--
    notch is supposed to be there.
    sometimes the spring can come off or slip. that would cause the kicker to bind and not turn. check the motor itself as mentioned. remove the plug and rotate the crank by hand. it should turn over w/o any issues. yes some resistance due to valves and such..
    if engine turns over, reassemble with reseating the spring and it should work. I have seen the spring come off before. the little clip goes soft, then slips down the shaft a little causing the gear to float and wobble, then it binds when trying to kick and the spring pops out of place. get new clips, and reassembly and see if that helps.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Is there any place that has a picture of how it should be installed? I'm pretty sure any clips that were supposed to be there were missing. Plus, considering that mine was hung up, I don't know where I'm supposed to position the kicker or the spring for that matter. Thanks guys!

Chandler

honda4h is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    just a suggestion i had a piece of starter gear fall into my stator engine had locked up when it got stuck in the stator and flywheel. easy check pull off the small cover and have a look

--
    in my sig is a link to download a factory repair manual. download the manual.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Downloaded the manual last night. Definitely helps a guy when he don't know what he's doing. I really think the best thing to do would be to put my top end on my buddies bottom end. I'm really good at taking things apart, not so good at putting them back together.....right. 😂

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 250ES5984 View Post
    Thanks dirtcrasher. I have the clutches out. I couldn't get the kicker shaft out at first, and then , rotating it CCW, it slipped out. This is what I found. Attachment 228691

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that part of the case has broken off. Maybe I'm just thinking wrong. I don't know. Attachment 228692
    Attachment 228693
    Does that hole that the kickershaft go in all gouged up?? And on the face of that, it looks scratched up and I bet it's missing the thrust washer thats in there. That hole is where I retrieve that washer if it's missing. And if you ever pull the 3 bolts on the let side in front of the swinger boot seal, everything falls in the motor.

Most guys can get the gears and spacers in but they don't know that when that shaft comes out, 1st gear thrust washer also falls in the gearbox. I use that aforementioned hole to retrieve that washer as well. Thats why people who don't use a manual or don't have very good skills; The swingarm comes off to work on your differential, change the boot etc etc. you have to remove the driveshaft to get in there. Just warning ya about that because allot of people take that cover off with the 3 bolts and either they fix it or give up. I taught a 14y.o. kid in Ohio how to fix this over an hour long phone call while his dad got everything back in there. They mailed me a xmas card

To get the kicker shaft back in, I usually barely get the back of that kicker shaft in, angle it a bit forwards and you have to turn and angle to like 2 o clock while the spring is in there, use the kicker to rotate PAST that steel strap and you kicker shaft will now pop in fully and that position holds the spring in the right amount of tension to return the kicker shaft.

Oh, and when you find the thrust washer, dry all the oil off the mating surfaces and put grease on it and it will stay on.

I had one guy with a blown 1st gear, from trying to take out that whole countershaft. I found THREE thrust washers in there; When he lost it, he bought new thrust washers and let the other float in the gearbox oil DOOGHT!!

My moneys on thrust washer missing (it's there so 1 rotating surface against a permanent flat it rests on doesn't gouge up. And then if it were ever run low on oil, stuff gets scarred up that way as well.....

Quote: "It was full of oil, but I haven't checked if it had shavings or pieces in it. The edges on the hole were extremely jagged, that's what made me think it was broken.

Loganm, I haven't taken the kicker assembly apart as of right now. Everything looks to be there and intact. As far as I can tell, the motor isn't locked. The clutches spin over freely, but I haven't torn into the other side to see if it will spin over. It seemed like it would turn over when we tried to pull it off, but I'm not 100% sure. I have a buddy that has a parts bike for sale that has a good bottom end, so I figure I'll just get his and go from there." end quote.
    Now that the clutch is out and its all apart, slide the clutch housing over the shaft, it is a one way bearing. One way it locks and the other way it spins freely.

Sometimes holes like that are just cast in due to the difficulty of getting a rotating tool to clean it up. So, it's not necessarily broken and I know I get the crap out of the motor, thru a hole and behind the kickstarter...

Keep going, we'll figure it out for ya!
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 03-09-2016 at 01:31 AM.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Thanks dirtcrasher. I didn't have time yesterday to work on it, and I don't know if I will today. If I do, it will be later tonight. I can't remember now, but I think the thrust washer came off with the kicker shaft when I removed it. Say I don't get it fixed, how complex is the process of putting my buddies bottom end in? I understand that I could use my piston by removing the wrist pin and putting mine in. Would I need to reset the valves? Neither me nor my dad know anything about the flywheel and timing chains as far as reinstalation. Like I said, I have the manual, but it seems like it doesn't give a whole lot of information, especially for someone who has never done this before. My little brother has a friend who's dad does it for a living, but he charges like $45/hour. Is that bad? I honestly in over my head....

--
    $45 isn't a bad rate. For automotive it ranges around $40-120/hr depending if your going to a cheap shop or a dealership. Computer work runs around $100/hr too depending what exactly is being done.

Really to be honest, swapping a top end is most likely more work than finding your kick starter problem. The super simple run down is something like this:

Remove right cover (already done)
    Remove primary clutch (front one)
    Take top end cover off
    Loosen cam gear
    work the timing chain, cam gear, and cam shaft out
    unbolt head
    remove cyl/head

Reinstall with new gaskets in reverse order. The "correct" way would be to also measure all wear surfaces, replace out of spec bearings (or all of them), hone or bore the cyl and atleast get new rings unless piston+ rings are required. If you have a top end issue, then you'd have to repair/replace the effect parts as well.

I'm most likely missing some steps, purely going from memory and I don't do top end work very often.

Very first thing I'd suggest is make sure the engine rolls over, the actual crank. The front clutch bell housing will spin freely in one direction if nothing is binding in the transmission, if you turn it the opposite way, it will turn over the engine if the one way bearing is good. It is fairly common to have that bearing go bad, signs are the kick starter "slipping" when you kick it, and the whirling sound when turning off the machine. If it does not turn over at all, we know the source of the problem is related with the actual engine section of the whole unit. If it spins freely, then it must be something to do with the kick starter section, or the other side of the engine.

Also just to make sure things are clear, the electric start gears are on the left side of the engine and has it's own one way bearing just like the kick start side. If the electric start doesn't work as well, I'd suspect is wrong with the main engine part, something in the starter gears, primary clutch coming apart (hitting inside of the side cover), or worst case would be top end issues such as a stuck valve or the timing chain skipped far enough for the valve to hit the piston.

Hopefully I didn't bomb you with too much info. Let us know if the engine turns over freely and we'll work from there. Photos of the whole side of the engine would help too to have multi able eyes on the situation.

--
    Well, it's locked up, and I'm pissed. I'm not even going to attempt to rebuild it myself. There's a guy in Pleasant Grove named RJ that has rebuilt my brothers race bike, and I'm thinking about trying to get him to do it. I'm gonna go ahead and put different clutches in it, and maybe more. You experts have any advice on engine upgrades for these things?

Another thing I can figure out is the fact that it wasn't running when it locked up, and was running fine right before.

Like before, thanks again for all of the input and advice guys. I really do appreciate it.
    Thanks, Chandler.

Howdy is offline Putting Priorities in Order, Busier than ever. Catch me if you can
    --
    There doesn't look to be any real bad damage in the 3 pics you posted. It looks pretty normal for this style motor. The kick starters are a lot easier to remove and replace than many other motors.

It's not good being locked up. You might get lucky though and find it is a simple fix ( not always cheap though ).
    Howdy

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
    There doesn't look to be any real bad damage in the 3 pics you posted. It looks pretty normal for this style motor. The kick starters are a lot easier to remove and replace than many other motors.

It's not good being locked up. You might get lucky though and find it is a simple fix ( not always cheap though ).
    Howdy
    I'm hoping all it did was drop a valve, but, I don't know.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //