//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Something is Definitely Wrong...

250ES5984 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

Something is Definitely Wrong...

So, this weekend I and a bunch of buddies rode up to Hawk Pride Offroad in Tuscumbia, AL. They all have crawlers, so I rode with them on the rough stuff. The 250sx had a couple of trips to the bath house and down to the hill climb, but that's as far as it went. As we were leaving, I got on and began to kick it, starter doesn't work. The kicker turned the motor over twice, then the kicker seized. Couldn't get it to move. At all. So, we tried to push it off, but it seemed like something was wrong around the kicker shaft. We loaded her on the trailer, and that's where she is now.

With all of that said, has anyone had anything like that happen? One of my buddies said that his did something similar and that his clutches had come apart. I'm not the best mechanic in the world and am afraid to attempt to split the case on it because of my lack of knowledge.

Any suggestions, help, or advice would be greatly appreciated. Although im sure i cant have it fixed before, we also have a ride this coming weekend.

Thanks, Chandler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Not familiar with these motors. Can you pull the outer cover off? That should get you to the Kickstarter. Make sure you drain the oil first. And make sure you can get it off with the engine in the bike, or pull it first.

--
    time to start tearing into the clutch side. could have been a kicker spring or clutch or worse. will not know till you tear into it.
    good luck.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    How complex are the clutches in these? I don't want to tear into it and end up having it torn apart and not know what to do with it. And, can I pull that side without pulling the motor?

Thanks, Chandler.

--
    Yes you can but the footpeg and brack lever may have to come off. I just tip the trike over to the left and don't have to drain it Especially if you take pictures and notes and have a free online manual to help you on how to take any portion of your machine apart. There one motor that has allot going on but they're not hard. No repairs are hard if you read ahead take notes and use the manual,

There is the main clutch, just like and manual clutch except your clutch opens via linkage (rather than a lever on the handlebars) in the motor connected to the manual clutch. That's why some people hold the gearshift up with their foot in any gear, punch it and drop the shift lever. Making it take off faster or wheelie; It's not a good thing to do for the drivetrain....

The other clutch is the centrifugal clutch where the shoes fly outwards at a certain RPM and at any point you stop it (1 thru 5 gears). The shoes stay in until the RPM's increase,There is a one way bearing in there that allows the starter to turn it over, or the kicker to turn it over. Yours sounds stuck but most likely it's worn out as well as the surface it rides on; sounds jammed and locked

Follow the book. get a piece of cardboard and make a crude drawing and push all the bolts thru the cardboard so you don't mess up the lengths of the case bolts.

The manual makes you a better mechanic and anytime I took a , I'd read how different things apart. Such as th 86/87 200X that have left hand threads and if they don't have the directions, they strip the crank. I have a good amount of stripped theads on that year model from all the meatballs using an impact driver right hand threads resulting in a stripped crank....
    Last edited by Dirtcrasher; 03-07-2016 at 08:06 PM.
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Thanks dirtcrasher. I have the clutches out. I couldn't get the kicker shaft out at first, and then , rotating it CCW, it slipped out. This is what I found. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1457397996804.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	228691

I'm not sure, but it seems to me that part of the case has broken off. Maybe I'm just thinking wrong. I don't know. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1457398059363.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	228692
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1457398070449.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	228693

--
    No from memory on my 250es it has that cutout also, pretty sure it's a passage for oil to flick through and lube up the kicker shaft and gears.

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    You have the rare optional 2 piece kick starter shaft . Cases have to come apart.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    You have the rare optional 2 piece kick starter shaft . Cases have to come apart.

I'm not sure I understand...

--
    No, I don't either. A broken case anywhere will be very jagged. Was it full of good oil??
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    You made sure the motor isn't locked up correct? You don't need to make a cutout for the case bolts, just stick them in their holes when you go to put it back together and there should be 1/2"ish of the bolt sticking out, use the elimination to find where all the bolts go. A cutout is handy, but not necessary. Pics of the kickstarter shaft? Assemble everything but don't torque it down and upload a pic/video, that might help.

--
    It was full of oil, but I haven't checked if it had shavings or pieces in it. The edges on the hole were extremely jagged, that's what made me think it was broken.

Loganm, I haven't taken the kicker assembly apart as of right now. Everything looks to be there and intact. As far as I can tell, the motor isn't locked. The clutches spin over freely, but I haven't torn into the other side to see if it will spin over. It seemed like it would turn over when we tried to pull it off, but I'm not 100% sure. I have a buddy that has a parts bike for sale that has a good bottom end, so I figure I'll just get his and go from there.
    Last edited by 250ES5984; 03-07-2016 at 10:55 PM.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I'm looking at your photo on a small screen but it looks like your kick starter shaft is broken, i guess that is not the case?

bigger photos are better.

--
    With the outer case off you should be able to spin the crank over by hand. Pull the spark plug out if you need to, it shouldn't be that hard to turn. Don't go putting vice grips on the shaft or something stupid like that tho.

--
    Well, I'm in for the night, but when I get off tomorrow I'm going to see if it has compression. If it will turn over at all.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //