//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oversized ATC250R Radiators issue. Please Help!

--
    Pro vs. amateurs

--
    I always liked the high mounted light on my Tecate. It's part of its distinctiveness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3051455.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	718.6 KB 
ID:	228864

--
    Quote Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post
    Did Marty Hart win
    No, but it appeared to me that he only needed another lap or two to complete a monumental comeback and win.

Marty Hart was riding a factory works bike with an enormous amount of testing time on it...
    You've mentioned lack of time, and running out of time, a few times before with respect to doing R&D, and proper testing on the Tecate. If Honda had time to test their bikes, why was Kawasaki always so short on time? Where does the time go?

For anyone to say that the 1986 TECATE is unreliable is ridiculous based on my testing...
    Oh ok, so you did find some time to do some testing.

Also, expecting any dirt bike that is 30 years old to be reliable and not get frame cracks or have some other type of failure is beyond unrealistic.
    Unrealistic? Maybe. Unachievable? No. My 250R is over 30 years old, and it has never had any frame cracks, is still using the original ignition, and starts on the 2nd or 3rd kick every time.

I remember when my friend's '87 Tecate, which was standing up on the rear grab bar, fell over on it's back because the grab bar attachment brackets, that were welded to the frame, snapped off. Luckily, a compassionate Honda owner (yours truly) was nearby to rescue the stricken Tecate, which was looking like wounded ninja turtle, laying upside down on it's shell. I figured I should either flip it upright, or put up some "NO SMOKING" signs. At the time, his Tecate was about 3-4 years old. Were we being unrealistic to expect the welds to last a tad longer?
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

Mosh is offline I'm the one with all the 2 stroke around here! The day begins with 3WW
    --
    I want verifiable pics of these pro accomplishments of barnett or none of it happened...

Hillbilly trail repair= When over paid, under educated, over thinking engineering, with no field experience fails.

I will take a few beers, and a need to get back to camp from 5 miles out for more beer, and a moderately prepared female and 3 " non former pro riders" any day over book worms...

Sorry Tim. Another thread that ended up with the dark liquid, stink sheen and stench, of a farm field in early spring, due to a manure spreader malfunction caused by operator error...
    Here is where my long useless list of stuff nobody cares about should go...

Proudly NOT a member of

"Team on the Teat"

--
    And Al Barnett sucks another one in on how great he was in the glory days at Polk High!

--
    Wow - all of this is so helpful to my oversized radiator dilemma. Thanks!
    RIP - Yamahondaman!! You will never be forgotten!
    RIP - Sam Brehm!! Gone but NEVER forgotten!
    RIP - Sandpuppi101 - You will live on in my mind - I miss you friend!

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    This thread is now about oversized egos and how to get them to fit on a trike.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

ONEBAD350X is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I really am thinking about buying some for extra cooling when riding in the woods. They look really nice.
    85 350X
    85 330R
    85 250R
    86 250R
    86 200X
    86 200X

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEBAD350X View Post
    I really am thinking about buying some for extra cooling when riding in the woods. They look really nice.
    christph got one for his 84/86 TECATE and tested it last week and said it made a definite improvement . Look closely at the photos before you buy one because they are actually selling two slightly different styles for the 85/86 Honda . One style has the same shape on the top and bottom tanks as the Honda ones and the other is just a square tank.

The Chinese rads have the same size or slightly larger tubes and they two more tubes across than the Honda rads and it has less cooling fins which in this case is what it should have because it allows more air thru the rad . Check the fins out closely if you get one because some are often bent which reduces the amount of air than can flow thru them so the bent ones should be opened up . There is a tool to do this with called a radiator comb but they don't always work that well in all situations . I often use a very small blade screwdriver but be careful because the fins are extremely thin and ca tear easily.

At only $110.00 for a pair, it is the deal of a lifetime and one f the best upgrades you can do to a water cooled bike, especially if the engine has been modified and the bike is ridden hard in hot weather.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosh View Post
    I want verifiable pics of these pro accomplishments of barnett or none of it happened...

Sorry Tim. Another thread that ended up with the dark liquid, stink sheen and stench, of a farm field in early spring, due to a manure spreader malfunction caused by operator error...
    It doesn't seem to me that you are sorry for anything otherwise you wouldn't be asking for me to post more in this thread and now I'm guessing you are going to make another one of your posts that start off with "I may get banned for this but I just have to get this off my chest" . No ill will or disrespect intended, but imo [not that anyone cares], it's really time for you to stop obsessing over me and move on with your life.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    No, there is another reason. The bolts tend to fall out, due to the excessive vibration, as the Tecate massages itself to death, much like a 25 cent bed in a cheap motel, thus leaving the shrouds flappin' in the breeze.

.................................................. ...........

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atctim View Post
    Well since it seemed like you already had lots of ideas and a plan of action, it didn't seem like there was much more to ad.

This all started with the comment below from Red Rider whom knows that I will make some type of good natured reply whenever he or others say these types of things which is one of the reasons he and others do this . They always then reply back, and then inevitably other Honda guys join in because it seems to take a lot of them to attempt to beat up on just one lowly Kawasaki guy, lol . That process then turns peoples threads into ones like this one has become. Then, some of the Honda guys occasionally get nasty because they don't know how to have fun . It is illogical for people to make comments that they know will elicit a response from someone and then complain when that person does exactly what they wanted them to do.

The Kawasaki guys are outnumbered on this site by maybe 100 to 1, so imo, when any of the Honda guys get upset when one lowly Kawi guy occasionally says, "The TECATE....The Most Powerful 3 Wheeler In The Universe" etc, they need to take some Prozac or go find some defenseless animals to shoot for "sport" to relieve their anger . imo, dirt bikes and dirt bike people are supposed to be FUN.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Well of course there's a tab for the shroud. I can't have the shroud flappin' in the breeze like one of Barnett's Tecates.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ONEBAD350X View Post
    They are much stronger than OEM as well. I had fitment issues on the bike this went on, but nothing a little elbow grease couldn't fix. The last $300 OEM rad I put on lasted less than 50 hours before a tube split open without ever having been stressed. These sell for $130 a pair and are built like brick outhouses. The one in the photo never leaked a drop.

I would suggest that you take a file and smooth out the edges on the rad cap and the spigot as they turn a little rough. If your model uses a bleeder hole on your rad I would make sure the boss is flat with a file and then switch the aluminum screw and washer out for a copper washer and an SS bolt as the aluminum bold can snap before you get the aluminum washer to seat. Other than that I had one come with a steel insert in the wrong spot, but I put a new one in and emailed the seller and the next set were correct. Small details, but worth it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAD.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	228898Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAD 1.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	228899
    It sucks to get old

--
    How much thicker than stock are these things?

I'm willing to do the proper fab to fit them to save that much money.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    How much thicker than stock are these things?

I'm willing to do the proper fab to fit them to save that much money.

I didn't measure, but I'm going to guess one gauge thicker that what my stock rads were and the frames are about 1/8" thick. For $130 a pair they even look good on the shop wall. Get em now before Trump marks them up 40%
    It sucks to get old

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //