//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 85 SX - Rear brake panel fused to wheel bearing hub

--

85 SX - Rear brake panel fused to wheel bearing hub

working on my rear brakes, and wanted to take all the parts apart, clean them all and put them back together.

problem is, I cannot get the part he holds the wheel bearings to let go of the brake panel. I believe 31 years of being together have fused them together with the extreme
    power of Iron Oxide.

So far I have tried PB blaster and tapping wtih a , but I have no confidence that these 2 parts will ever come apart again, which wouldn't be too bad, unless I have to do wheel bearings.

Anyone ever tackled this issue? and how did you resolve it.
    Trikes I Own:

85 ATC 350X - The Beast
    85 ATC 250SX - High School Pal
    83 ATC 110 - The Little One

--
    Take some pics, apply some heat, drink some beer, beat it with a dead blow or rubber maul, go to sleep happy
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Photos would be a plus to see exactly where you are at with disassembly.

Might be a given but the wheel hub and drum has to be removed first and of course the 4 bolts on the back side of the plate. I think there is an O-ring that seals the axle tube to the brake panel... actually i'll grab the diagram real quick...

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...+85/parts.html

Looks like no O-ring. Remove the drum seal and heat it up a good deal should break it loose much easier. I don't think #3 in the diagram has seals that would get too hot from the heat, but never hurts to be on the safe side and remove them too.

--
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1508.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	228817

Here is a picture of the part that came off as one part, all nuts are off on the other side but the brake panel won't even budge on the round center piece that holds the bearings.
    Trikes I Own:

85 ATC 350X - The Beast

zoomerman is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I dont remember that coming apart. To replace the bearing you just knock them out.of the holder I dont think that holder comes out of the brake panel. Never tried though. Never needed to.
    1985 suzuki alt 185
    1985 honda atc 250sx
    1985 honda atc 200m (all apart)
    1984 honda atc 200es
    1984 honda atc 200x- need motor, plastics, axle, exhaust.
    1984 honda atc 125m- times 2
    1985 honda atc 200m all apart
    1983 honda atc 200e times 2
    1983 honda atc 250r-times 2
    1983 honda atc 200 4 parts

1983 honda atc 110 times 3
    1979 honda atc 110 smokey
    1978 honda atc 90- restored

Have lots of extra parts, if interested email at e_mcy@hotmail.com

--
    according the the shop manual it is supposed to come apart! I may end up not worrying about it though. one of the 2 bearings is a little worn but not terrible on the fence as to if I should replace them while I'm doing this brake work.
    Trikes I Own:

85 ATC 350X - The Beast

--
    This ebay posting has a nice pic of the part separated from the brake panel

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ATC250...FBxExA&vxp=mtr
    Trikes I Own:

85 ATC 350X - The Beast

--
    Looking at your photo vs the ebay photos, I'd say you probably need to take the backing plate off as a whole first. Could be wrong, that is a slight difference from the 250es design which just has a backing plate and I think the bearings sit in the axle tube or the brake panel based on memory.

I have a 85 sx I need to replace the axle and swing arm bearings on, so some day I'll be in the same situation probably lol.

--
    The piece from the ebay posting is sandwiched on there by the end of the axle housing and 4 nuts, you have to remove the 4 nuts to get it off the bike, so now it should be free to come off. I'm affraid 31 years of neglect and mudding have bonded it on there good. To add to the problem all these parts are sealed with Silicone RTV as per the shop manual so all the mating surfaces have silicone sealant.
    Trikes I Own:

85 ATC 350X - The Beast

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //