//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Can I do a sprocket and chain replacement myself?

--

Can I do a sprocket and chain replacement myself?

Just ordered a 520x92 o ring chain, and 11 and 47 sprockets for my '85 200m, after getting a call from the local shop that the clanging I was hearing was worn sprockets and a full-extended chain. Their parts cost figured to be about $240. I bought these new for $78-ish. Their labor charge is $80/hr.

But I have some serious life mileage on me, and have few skills and a bad back. Should I job this out, or try and manage it myself? It is a big deal or require some special press or anything?

The trike is down there, so I couldn't see what's involved, but I should have the parts in a week, and could just bring them down.

You folks with great, natural, skills can do most stuff casually. I am not one of you.

I would appreciate your opinions: shop or do it myself? Time for shop labor on such job?

Thank you.

atc12 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Not all that hard of a job. What part of Wis are you in? You just need basic tools and a grinder works if you need to cut the new chain. Any shop should be able to replace them in under an hour.
    Last edited by atc12; 03-11-2016 at 01:27 AM.

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Its not a hard job. All you need is a set of regular tools. It looks like you bought the chain and sprocket set so you will not have to cut the chain. You take the left side wheel off. then remove both chain case covers if they are both still there. After this loosen the adjuster nut. Then find the master link and remove it after this you should be able to remove the chain. Then after the chain is removed loosen the bolts on the front sprocket there should be 3 and the the sprocket keeper and the sprocket should just slide off. After this loosen the rear sprocket bolts and take out the snap ring. It is a Little difficult to remove the snap rings so just be patient. after this the sprocket should just come off. After this to put it back together do these steps in reverse order. I personally would not take your bike to the shop to get this done honestly i would not take any of my stuff to a shop unless absolutely necessary as I do not trust mechanics. I am amazed that a shop will even work on your bike as every shop around here says they will only work on things from 2000 and newer.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //