//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Christmas ATC70 MINT with papers value

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    http://www.hondaatvforums.net/forums...-1-85-a-2.html

Never heard of these before this thread. Seems they gave them away. Very cool!
    The one in those photos has no rear sticker either

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

--
    That Xmas atc70 is beautiful - very nice score.

--
    hard to say from just pictures, but i don't think you'd have a problem sniffing 2 grand. you'd have to find the "gotta have it" guy, but they're out there. that thing is "mint"! congrats.
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!!!!!

TRIKES:
    86 250r
    85 250sx
    86 250sx
    84 Yamaha 225DX - Bruins Trike
    85 Yama 225DX - The Rental!
    150cc Piranha powered 70
    110cc Lifan 70
    82 70
    83 ALT 50 Trail Buddy
    88 Yamaha BW 80
    84 z50

--
    It's not even close to mint!!!!!!! Rust all over it!!!!!! WTF people!!!!!!Ohh the handlebars are bent too, how is that mint?!!!!

It's nice but cmon!

110 atc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Very nice condition 70. Thanks for sharing. I also have two blue 70's and try to keep up with what the value may be. I'll probably never sell mine either. I have seen two different blue 70's go for more than 3 thousand on ebay but, Who knows if the money ever comes through.
    1982 110, 1982 Big Red, 1983 70 Christmas Special X2, 1983 185s, 1984 200s, 1984 200m, 1986 250r, 1987 125m, 1987 lt500r x2, 2003 Rincon, 2008 700xx, 2016 pioneer 1000-5

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    So does it hurt the value to "clean it up" like bead blasting and reprinting wheels and putting peewees decal on the rear fender?

gimmeamidget is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Dohc , I agree it's not "mint". I thought we had been through that. I do think given a few hours at mr cleans garage this thing would look brand new.

--
    Hey no problem man i'm just a realist, and i care about market values!!!! When someone tags a rusty bike with bent bars as mint, it affects the market value, fractionally, theoretically, whatever!!

HOWEVER, I'd not touch it, it's still original, there is evidence here that suggests it may have never had a rear decal. I also think it is worth more than 1500, for the record.

And yes, Mr. Clean does fantastic restoration work!

Is there ANY indication that there was a rear decal? Adhesive? Outline? Fading? ANYTHING? I see no evidence whatsoever that there was a decal, and a trike in that condition, would still have that decal if there ever was one on it! If you see evidence in person that there was, then I digress.
    Last edited by DohcBikes; 03-12-2016 at 11:18 AM.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmeamidget View Post
    So does it hurt the value to "clean it up" like bead blasting and reprinting wheels and putting peewees decal on the rear fender?
    I was planning to hit my 1895 Morgan dollars with the buffer wheel today, but as soon as I get done I'll answer your question.
    It sucks to get old

110 atc is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Does anyone here wonder if the x-mas 70 was the lowest production number atc built? I wish there were some numbers on them.
    1982 110, 1982 Big Red, 1983 70 Christmas Special X2, 1983 185s, 1984 200s, 1984 200m, 1986 250r, 1987 125m, 1987 lt500r x2, 2003 Rincon, 2008 700xx, 2016 pioneer 1000-5

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Ok, if you want to sell it and get the most money you can for it you MUST detail it . That's all there is to it, however, you need to weigh your time against how much more the detailing will increase the value . imo, if you detail it, you can set a near record price for one of these whatever that price may be.

The key to that bike is the nice orig fenders and fork and tank paint and fairly nice engine finishes . I can guarantee you that very few, if any people will give a flyin f about it having original paint on the wheels or exhaust pipe or rear axle housing or brake drum because they are crappy looking or rusty, and I don't personally know anyone whom collects rust, however, there may be people that do.

Also, there will be very few, if any buyers that are experienced enough to tell if you repainted something on it or not, and very few would care anyway as long as it looks original.

If you decide to clean it up, I and several others here will gladly give you suggestions on how to do that, and many here have restored their bikes to beautiful condition . El Camexican has a killer Tri Z [yes Nico, I did see your photos].

One concern with doing that is that you do not want to use finishes that are too shiny or too nice looking because they will tend to stand out a little too much which can ruin the overall flow . In other words, you wouldn't want to paint the rear brake drum with super dark black paint that had a really high gloss . The colors/finishes should be "muted" a little.

Restos are one of the things I have done for many years and have used almost every color and brand of paint on the planet, so on my end, I can offer suggestions on ones that I think might best match that won't stand out too much . Anyone can make something super bright and shiny, but it's a bit of an art to make things all blend together when not all the pieces can look better than new . In other words, imo, you don't want to detail/restore it to a point where it has obviously been restored.

On the Concours cars I do, I even have to put runs in the engine compartments and create drips on the floor pans, then over spray them with body color just like Earl Scheib would . It seems like a crime to do that, but when a Concours BOSS 302 is bringing over $100,000.00 at Barrett Jackson, that's what needs to be done to get that kind of money.

The first thing I would do no matter what is try to remove the decals from the forks . In my experience, this can easily be done by heating them up . The safest way I have found to do this is to use a high power hair dryer and try it on low setting first . If this doesn't work, try it on high . Heat a section of one until it is very warm to the touch then try to peel it off as you continue to heat it . The blow dryer can also toast your fingers so you may have to heat then pull then heat then pull . If you try to pull too fast, the decal will break.

After they are removed, you can use cheap paint thinner to remove any left over glue, then use mild detergent to remove the paint thinner then wax the area.

--
    Thanks guys for all replies and opinions. I have done a few restores myself and I was thinking of just cleaning everything up as well as can be. The only reason I was considering the wheels is the Honda silver cloud paint is still available and is the actual paint used and I will need to take rims apart to put the ohtsu tires on. I think most of the other stuff will polish nicely. The exhaust I may just leave since every paint job I have seen on pipes looks "restored" and I am trying to keep as original as possible. These is absolutely no sign of ever having a decal on the rear. No fade in plastic or residue and if it had one it must hav been removed early in its life.

--
    Oh and I do collect a bunch of atc' s and have no intentions of selling this. I was just curious as you guys opinions since we are all like minded people and I want to do my best to keep this bike in as good of condition as I can.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmeamidget View Post
    I have done a few restores myself and I was thinking of just cleaning everything up as well as can be.

I think most of the other stuff will polish nicely.

The exhaust I may just leave since every paint job I have seen on pipes looks "restored" and I am trying to keep as original as possible.
    Unfortunately you can not polish paint that has rust or is thin or extremely faded or non existent as lots of the black on yours is.

Painting the pipe will not make it look restored as much as it will make it match the nice blue paint and engine more providing the right paint is used . Just don't use a very glossy one on it and you can even just lightly fog it on near the head pipe or leave that part unpainted so it looks like it has been run some and see how it looks.

I would use something like this on the exhaust . It's not very shiny and not very dark in color.

or this

I would say that this has too much sheen to it and is too dark.

I seriously doubt that brake drum will "polish up".

--
    Ok I will clean what I can and paint what needs it. I just would like to stop the rust before it gets worse. Thanks for the advice. It is appreciated.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //