//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cheap CDI's on ebay and your experience with them.

--

Cheap CDI's on ebay and your experience with them.

So my CDI is bad on my '86r and im seeing 17$ cdis on ebay. Why are they insanely cheap? To good to be true?
    Any thoughts on this would be appreciated

--
    well i guess ill find out. Just bought one. Ill let yall know how it goes. lol.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    A few years in with a $12 cdi on my 200es with no problems so far. Ditto on a $10 ignition coil for the same machine. They are cheap because they are made in China. Best of luck to you!

Watford city, North Dakota United States "THE BAKKEN" / Lebanon, Oregon United states.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    A few years in with a $12 cdi on my 200es with no problems so far. Ditto on a $10 ignition coil for the same machine. They are cheap because they are made in China. Best of luck to you!
    12 dollars?!?? Think I'm done with amazons price of $60-80 for a cdi.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Saying "it's the trikes fault" is like saying "guns kill people"
    don't poke the bear... you'll get banned

--
    Throw it in the trash can as soon as you get it. My 85R had a cheap Chinese on it when I picked it up. It sparks too early so when you kick it, it will start before you make a full kick and the kick starter will let you know that by slapping your chin. But the main problem it had was that after 1/2 throttle, it would do nothing but bog, it would just fall flat on its face. Found a good used OEM and solved everything. By the way, it takes a good hard swing of the kick start to notice a blue crisp spark if you have an OEM CDI, I bought 2 before I realized that.

--
    POS ebay cdi almost left me stranded in the desert. glad i had a spare

--
    Junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
    If its electrical and needs replacing it gets OEM Honda whenever possible. I just can't bring myself to trust a $12 Chinese electrical part, one that is necessary to get me back home.
    Not saying it wont be fine for your everyday bump around the yard, i just wouldn't go off riding wherever carefree with one.
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

JesseA420 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    throw a ignition from a 01 cr into it, never have any 30 year old electrical problems again.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    If its electrical and needs replacing it gets OEM Honda whenever possible. I just can't bring myself to trust a $12 Chinese electrical part, one that is necessary to get me back home.
    Not saying it wont be fine for your everyday bump around the yard, i just wouldn't go off riding wherever carefree with one.
    Point well taken. My 200es seldom leaves my property, as I use it for chores on 4.5 acre yard. If it craps out, it isn't too far to push back to the house.

--
    I too had a bad experience with other than OEM CDI on a 250r. Mine wasn't even a $12 chinese unit, it was a Ricks Hot Shot that was supposed to be a "better" CDI than OEM. Found it not to be the case. Hard kickbacks, especially on hot re-starts, and I was chasing the final tune on the main jet. These problems were amplified when I did the ESR 350 big bore.

Switched back to and OEM cdi and every single issue was resolved. What I thought was a stubborn jetting issue turned out to be caused by the CDI, the hard kickbacks on startup don't happen any more. If I ever decide to use anything other than the original OEM CDI for my R, it will be a complete CR250 ignition system, nothing else.

I have no experience with aftermarket or chinese CDI's for the other milder machines. They might not be as sensitive as the R and could be fine to run. I can't say either way though as I have never run one.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Just to put it out there, the CDI circuit is rather simple, and pretty cheap to build. Of my limited understanding on them, a capacitor inside determines the ignition advancement curve. 2 Stroke is way off from 4 stroke, and some CDI's don't have the advancer circuit like the ones that work great on the 200es due to the mechanical spark advancer doing it's job.

I tested one 4+2 pin style CDI on my 350x, was doggy to start, idled low, and ~1200-1500 rpm it would spark too early and just die if I held the throttle open. It is clear the spark curve is way off from what the 350x wanted.

For those above that had the china CDI's fail, what exactly was the fault? Bad connection, or the CDI burnt out? The 30+ year old connector on your harness could be partly to blame too.

Not trying to say China made is super high quality or anything, but generally they don't do super bad. General thing I have seen is very tiny wire (the copper part) on most Chinese electrical, and the connectors are really poor quality and crimped poorly. I modify ignition switches from Chinese quads for use on other machines, and besides a couple I have found defective and the notes above, they have been reliable, I replace the wire and connectors on them though.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseA420 View Post
    throw a ignition from a 01 cr into it, never have any 30 year old electrical problems again.
    What about lighting?

--
    When I got my 1980 atc 185, the cdi was bad so I bought a cheap one on ebay. I put it on and still no spark. Tried cdi #2, same thing. I was getting frustrated by this point. The ads said fits 1980 atc185 and a bunch of others. I checked the resistance of the cdi and it was way off spec. I bought a third one that was over $40 and this time I checked the resistance before installing and it checked good. I installed it and it ran great! I'll never install another one without checking the resistance first.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    When I got my 1980 atc 185, the cdi was bad so I bought a cheap one on ebay. I put it on and still no spark. Tried cdi #2, same thing. I was getting frustrated by this point. The ads said fits 1980 atc185 and a bunch of others. I checked the resistance of the cdi and it was way off spec. I bought a third one that was over $40 and this time I checked the resistance before installing and it checked good. I installed it and it ran great! I'll never install another one without checking the resistance first.
    That is a good point to put out about the resistances. Too bad sellers don't list the values before buying.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //