//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Identifying Motor,KXT?

--

Need Help Identifying Motor,KXT?

I picked up a collection of ATC and KXT parts and machines a awhile back now I'm getting to some..
    I have a KIPS motor but cant find anything out about it and any help would be gratefully appreciated!
    All I know it says on the cylinder is 250 also kips nothing on the bottom-end but vin number, I assume the motor was taken out for the kips 500 swap.
    Motor vin XF250AE001601,Thanks Again.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    On the engines, Kawasaki dropped the first letter on the vehicles that used 3 letters for their identification like KXT, KXF and KDX etc, therefore, you have a KXF engine which is out of the 1986 pos 4 wheeler . Very good engine, very bad bike.

--
    Pictures. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0311161642[1].jpg   0311161643b[1].jpg   0311161643[1].jpg   0311161642a[1].jpg   0311161643c[1].jpg  

--
    Thank You!!

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    Does that bolt up to `86 Tecate ?
    Yes if you remove the front down tube because they are around 1 1/2" longer due to the balancer.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by joe schmo View Post
    Thanks!
    No prob....

--
    Joe, just for your info, an early Kawasaki KXF250 will spank the bejesus out of an early TRX250R.

--
    Would you say it's better than a first gen KXT 3 motor?

--
    Would you say it's better than a first gen KXT 3 motor?
    Well, it depends on exactly how you personally define "better" . I actually did all the development testing on these for Kawi, plus I raced an 84 model so I had a lot of comparison time, and I would say that the 86 T3 engine is a bit more user friendly than the 84/85 ones because it has a little smoother power deliver, and the 86 KXF engine is basically an 86 KXT engine with one more gear and a counter balancer.

--
    Ok Thank You for all the information!!
    This one is the most complete motor out of them all. I was going to sell it for some extra cash,But you made me realize everything isn't about money..Especially when I was born a little too late,But I still manage to find and enjoy them also information from some Trike racers!
    I will put it on the back burner for a wile and make one more out of the part's ones and enjoy her like my 85 B&B KXT3!
    P.S. Any little tricks you would mention I could do for the build? I would like to build one like you would see on the track in the 80's.. Thanks again.
    Last edited by joe schmo; 03-18-2016 at 06:21 PM.

--
    Ok Thank You for all the information!!
    This one is the most complete motor out of them all. I was going to sell it for some extra cash,But you made me realize everything isn't about money..Especially when I was born a little too late,But I still manage to find and enjoy them also information from some Trike racer!
    I will put it on the back burner for a wile and make one more out of the part's ones and enjoy her like my 85 B&B KXT3!
    P.S. Any little tricks you would mention I could do for the build? I would like to build one like you would see on the track in the 80's.. Thanks again.
    What is a B&B?

Exactly what are you building?

You should start a new thread f you want build suggestions because you will likely get a lot more responses.

Yes, I and others can certainly help you get it to where you want it to be if you supply very specific details . If you want a pro level race bike, you must run race gas or E85 or add Lead to regular pump gas but you can still get them to run good on pump gas . I contacted Jon Easton last week and he still makes cone pipes for the KXTs and ATC250R's.

As far as modifying the chassis to race spec, I actually ran a stock swingarm and stock rear axle with spacers and stock shock etc and won the last race at Saddleback park beating Jimmy White, Donnie Luce and the Team Honda riders, however, I wouldn't recommend using a stock swingarm to anyone for racing . I could have gotten all that fancy stuff for free but chose not to, and one of the reasons for running a stock chassis was to see how well I could do on it against others with all their fancy parts knowing full well that I would have gone significantly faster if I had a longer arm and some other items, however, I had raced PRO Motocross for many years before that so I no longer cared as much about winning and was just out to have fun.

for so it's not ionbeat Jimmy White and building

--
    Jon Easton JEMCO cone pipe . Comes in natural, blach high temp paint or Nickel . Standard is $375.00 . Nickel is $85.00 extra.

--
    B&B is the shop that worked on my cylinder back in the day.
    Also I'm not totally sure how to go with that build yet. Your right when the time comes for the KXT project I will post a new thread..
    I have been collecting parts here and there for a 200x build that is first..I still need some low profile white fenders,powroll seat and more,In time..
    Sound like you knew back then,Its all about having fun! Thanks again!

--
    That's a nice pipe I will keep it in mind..Mine are on the other side,I'm guessing being a first gen?. Thanks.

--
    Sound like you knew back then,Its all about having fun! Thanks again!
    Well, that was my attitude anyway, however, most of the guys in the PRO class were far more serious and dedicated than I was, especially the guys that rode for Kawi and Honda or the ones that wanted to which is certainly understandable . I was not an official Team Green rider nor did I care if I was or not, however, they basically made me an Honorary one [I guess that was because they didn't have to pay me that way] and would post my results and even asked me to run a race with Jimmy and Donnie for them which I did an we won . When I won the Saddleback race, I got money from the sponsors for the win but nothing from Team green, however since Jimmy got second, he got money from both the race sponsors and Team Green, lol.

If I got 3rd or 4th or 5th etc, I was perfectly happy, but some of these other guys would get pissed off or depressed etc if they didn't do well which didn't seem like much fun to me . I also never trained other than doing some 12 ounce curls during the week and I figured if I had to quit that and actually start exercising to do better, it wasn't worth the trade off to me cuz I figured, whats the point in doing well if you can't celebrate...a lot.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //