//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 350x engine rebuild

--

350x engine rebuild

Hey guys, I'm looking to have some engine work done on 86 350x. I'm in Oklahoma and need suggestions on where to take it.

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Not that i can help you but....

What is wrong with it?

1984 Honda Big Red ATC 200ES (Emma)
    1985 Honda 200X ATC (Pretty Boy)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Dr. Fast)
    1985 Honda 250R ATC ( 77 )
    1985 Honda 250R ATC (Baller)
    1986 Honda 350X ATC (Go Go Girl)

Feed Back: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-arlaunch

--
    It currently runs fine but is all original and I'm wanting to beef it up a little. I'm not sure what all can be done, that's why I was looking for a shop with some experience with the 350X.

--
    Four stroke tech Mickey Dunlap has a sweet 500 kit.
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

JacobMonster is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    If there is performance Offroad shop, you could take it there and have them work it. Just about any local ATV shop could do it. I took my 200X to a Honda tech as a side job at home and he rebuilt it fine. As long as they know how to rebuild and upgrade, you'll be fine. Or possibly check around for an older Honda tech guy, or other trike guys in your area who have some experience with it.

Check out a video on Youtube, 350X build by ATV On Demand. They built a High Performance 350X with Ron Ray AKA Chickenhawk here on the forums. That will serve you as a buyers guide, and let you in on the companies that make performance/aftermarket parts for the 350X

arlaunch is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I have a 350X as well.

I haven't really done a search for motor modifications as i am a bit scared of that one.

I secretly have always wondered what the benefits of the 400ex carb mated with an exhaust performance upgrade and a K&N would do?

There has been some threads in the past about modern exhaust upgrades etc.

Tearing into the engine is financially spooky.

One thing leads to another and then you are spending thousands that you can't ever get back.

Through experience i have found it is better to just buy somebody else s money pit (beautiful project bike) and ride it.

I have taken my machine out of commission due to finding metal dust in the oil filter. I think i will fill it full of oil and, ride it again to see if it makes more metal. I have a very nice brand new OEM filter installed now.

--
    Squeezing out more hp out of your motor has consiquences that you should consider.

Keep in mind that Honda engineers know more than "most shops" could ever dream of. They engineered an engine....based on a racing heritage......that can give you max power, reliability, rideability, ease of starting and dependability. Going into an engine and altering flow, turbulence, lift and timing and intake changes the recipe. Can one make more hp? Yes...absolutely but at a cost......usually rideability. If your racing then that's different

--
    Thanks for for all info, it has been helpful. I did try the 400ex carb but it made the machine a bear to start, so I went back to factory.

--
    Really!

That is interesting.

I have wondered about that .

--
    It could have been largely due to my lack of carb tuning and jetting knowledge but I was not a fan of the change.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by arlaunch View Post
    I have a 350X as well.

I haven't really done a search for motor modifications as i am a bit scared of that one.

I secretly have always wondered what the benefits of the 400ex carb mated with an exhaust performance upgrade and a K&N would do?

There has been some threads in the past about modern exhaust upgrades etc.

Tearing into the engine is financially spooky.

One thing leads to another and then you are spending thousands that you can't ever get back.

Through experience i have found it is better to just buy somebody else s money pit (beautiful project bike) and ride it.

I have taken my machine out of commission due to finding metal dust in the oil filter. I think i will fill it full of oil and, ride it again to see if it makes more metal. I have a very nice brand new OEM filter installed now.
    Metal dust is pretty normal since the engine oil is also the transmission fluid and transmissions do make metal dust over time normally. How much, and how large the dust is, is the huge factor. If the filter wasn't changed for a long time, it would be logical to expect more build up, but if you ride it a few times and check it and it is loaded up on metal, something is wrong. Photos would be best, but I suspect it is too late to show what you saw.

For the 400ex carb, I don't have direct experience with the swap, but when the exhaust is replaced with a higher flow exhaust, then the carb has to be re-tuned richer for the more air. I'd suspect the 400ex carb has a larger carb body which would flow air more freely, and probably can be jetted richer than what the oem 350x carb can handle. In other words, it is probably a needed upgrade that mates up with the exhaust upgrade.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //