//ArrowChat Code

Thread: ATC registration in Ontario, Canada?

AngusJustice is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

ATC registration in Ontario, Canada?

Has anyone been able to legally register their ATC in Ontario, Canada?
    Have you been able to get a licence plate, Sticker & insurance?
    If so please leave me some information.
    Thanks.

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusJustice View Post
    Has anyone been able to legally register their ATC in Ontario, Canada?
    Have you been able to get a licence plate, Sticker & insurance?
    If so please leave me some information.
    Thanks.
    Yes, I just did it to my 200M in Ontario a few months ago. I had no ownership or registration, so I had the seller write me a bill of sale. Then I had to take my ATC to the nearest Honda dealer and get him to sign a paper saying he had seen the ATC, yada yada yada and put its info down. That was 25 dollars. Next, I took the bill of sale and signed paper from the dealer and went to the license office. It was 10 dollars for registration. But I also had to get an affidavit signed by a notary of the public that states who I bought it from, what I was going to do with it, etc. That was 35 dollars if I remember correctly. That is a grand total of 70 dollars. May have been a little more, but in that area. Now I will say that if you want a license plate, it is a bit more, 35 bucks I think. I did not get a plate. If you just ride on your land or at your buddy's place then you don't need a plate. If you want to ride on public land or roads then you will need one. If you need exact info, just ask at your local MTO about registering your ATV, they will tell you. The reason I say ATV is because people sometimes get wrong ideas, saying that you can't register it because it is a 3 wheeler. I don't lie to them, a 3 wheeler is an all terrain vehicle right? If they ask about it I will tell them that it is a ATC, but using the term ATV can help avoid some unnecessary hastle. Anyway, I hope this helps.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    If your talking off road (green) plate, all the trikes I've ever owned had ownerships, plates and were insured with liability as off road vehicles. I've gone the affidavit route many times if the ownership was missing or lost, I've done the import from the US thing a few times.
    If your talking on road (blue) plate…………good luck. I doubt it is even possible unless it was a conversion that was road legal at some point.

Ross..
    My Rides
    1985 250R original (Garage Queen)
    -under restoration

1985 250R black and blue full rebuild ( Daily Rider)
    -Paul Turner pipe
    -+2" Westcoast

1985 Red and White Tecat-EH Sold

1985 Green Tecate Sold

My Wife's Ride
    -2003 Suzuki LTZ 400 Showroom fresh and completely stock

My Kids Ride
    -2004 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock
    -2006 Yamaha Blaster, Completely Stock

BarnBoy is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by RoscoW View Post
    If your talking off road (green) plate, all the trikes I've ever owned had ownerships, plates and were insured with liability as off road vehicles. I've gone the affidavit route many times if the ownership was missing or lost, I've done the import from the US thing a few times.
    If your talking on road (blue) plate…………good luck. I doubt it is even possible unless it was a conversion that was road legal at some point.

Ross..
    I am talking off-road. What I was thinking when I said on road was gravel country roads or the shoulder of the paved roads, not actually in the city/on paved highways. With an off road license plate you can still cross roads or go on the shoulder. As I understand it, you need a license plate to legally drive anywhere off of your own property, unless you have a friend who lets you ride on his private land.
    1984 HONDA ATC200M - OG, mid-restoration
    1981 HONDA ATC200 - future build
    1981 HONDA ATC185S - parts
    1984 ATC200X - roller, future build
    1984 Honda ATC250r - in a million pieces- ISO grab bar, PM if you have one

Da velder

--
    1st. In Ontario you CAN license and insure a trike..but!

Three wheelers do not fit in the ATV classification as outlined in the traffic act. That being said, even in municipalities that allow licenced/insuranced ATVs on public roads..you can't. An ATV is classed as a four wheeled vehicle that operator rides straddled on the machine. 2ups and UTVs are also prohibited from road access. (These are under review at this time and to the best of my knowledge may change in the near future, but will never include trikes!)

You can operate on crown land trail systems, but in areas where public roads are used to access the trails, you can be charged.

My brother and I face this every spring at a club sanctioned ATV rally. Police presence is a usually thing and we are warned about running on the roads between trail access point, but they turn a blind eye since we are involved in a club ride.

Unless it's your intention to ride the northern ATV trail systems I'd say..don't bother with license or insurance.

Furthermore, since most of the ATV clubs in southern Ontario are on private land they won't allow trikes..even licensed and insured. Not CAN'T just won't..most I've called to ask have a BS answer about their club insurance not covering 3 wheelers!

Gopher Dunes in Tillsonburg is the only I've found.
    Current toys..
    1986 Honda 350X..trail bomb!
    1985 Honda 250SX..my main mudder
    1985 Honda 250ES..Back in Black Trike
    Current non-trike toys:
    1990 Honda TRX300FW
    1995 Seadoo GTX
    1998 Polaris Indy Lite 340(Nearly new looking)
    1998 Polaris Touring 500
    1998 Club Car (electric)

honda4h is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    doug nailed it that's all you need to know. just to note one of the last insurance places where a guy/gal could go for a trike no longer will. so unless your existing client state farm will not except you

--
    Plated my 1984 Honda ATC 200ES a few weeks ago here at ServiceOntario - no issues

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //