//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Let's see your curbside cast offs, what they're made of, and what they cost.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Did I mention I need to clean? I will be re sheet rocking this room, so no need to clean now. The window was trimmed out with bits of old shipping crates, curved slats from the middle of a large cable spool, and a green painted and aged random piece of wood. I think it may have been a drawer front at one time. It cost me some sandpaper, a few nails, and an ounce or two of Minwax Golden Oak stain. I found the stain in a clean out, so this cost less than $2 to complete. I understand packrat chic is everyone's bag, but I don't have anyone to tell me I CAN'T do it. Plus I'm cheap.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails junk trimmed window.jpg  

--
    Love it,last room I built was 12x36, 100% pine,and a barn for my Sister last spring, 40x50 all rough cut. I cannot get enough wood. What a gorgeous home,yes,I realize you will say different lol. Impossible to heat, never a square corner in ANY room..lol. My neighbors home was built in the 1700's... Their kitchen floor drops FOUR inches,and that is the best he could do "fixing" it up. He moved back here from Rochester in 89,and begged his new wife, please. Can we bulldoze this and simply plant a new doublewide or modular. Well, he now has put more money in it than the new house would have cost. Furnace is next on his list. He's always heated w wood, he is 84 w cancer and buying oil next year..
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    Bill, I heated my domestic water with propane for about 2 years, and it cost me about $150 a month just to get lukewarm water. The house has baseboard hot water heat with an indirect (or bypass) hot water maker. If the baseboard heaters weren't on, the bypass hot water maker became a dedicated domestic water heater, and it wasn't cheap. I only heated the house with the baseboard system for about 10 days, and it cost me about $450. That was when propane was 99 cents a gallon! The house was only about 60 degrees and the outside temps where only in the 30s. I bought an old Shenandoah R65 woodstove for $55 and have used it ever since. The house is usually about 75-80 degrees (with the stove dampered fully) which is a bit warm, but better than freezing. I installed an electric water heater, and now I have HOT domestic water. My total utility bill is usually about $45 a month now. The propane company finally came and took the tank after about 5 years of inactivity. It was about half full, but figured I would still be assessed a termination fee. Instead, about 3 weeks later, I got a refund of over $300. I love it when I get a windfall like that!

--
    I built a TV stand with shelves using an old oak pallot ,maple book shelf and survayers stakes. I built a kid size bench from the rest of the maple bookshelf.Year ago I built a coffetable from some left over maple Gym floor boards.I try to repurpose a lot of stuff.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    I built a TV stand with shelves using an old oak pallot ,maple book shelf and survayers stakes. I built a kid size bench from the rest of the maple bookshelf.Year ago I built a coffetable from some left over maple Gym floor boards.I try to repurpose a lot of stuff.
    Sounds interesting, it would be cool if you could post pics. Your home can't POSSIBLY be any dirtier than mine is right now. I do participate in a lot of "landfill interventions" myself. Great avatar, BTW!

--
    I will get pics tonite.Im a big fan off wiener dogs I have 2.My wife sent me the pic.lol
    250r rules

--
    I will get pics tonite.Im a big fan off wiener dogs I have 2.My wife sent me the pic.lol
    The only wiener dog I have is the one I was born with. But I do have more junk that I built. I made this valance over 20 years ago when I was renting a house. When I bought my house, I took this valance with me, and by chance, it fit one of the windows. It is made from pine that I found in the trash, the bottom of an old dresser, some white paint, a few nails and a blue chintz window treatment that I bought from Walmart. Got about $10 - $15 into this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails valance.jpg  
    Last edited by tripledog; 03-25-2016 at 01:40 PM. Reason: get to the point already!

--
    Bill, I just re read post 17. So sorry to here about your friend's illness. Sounds like he had the same idea I had. My house and 4.32 acres was on the market for 76K if I remember correctly. No problem. The bank foreclosed on it and I picked it up for $19,900. I have a little over twice that into it now. The outside looks like hell, but the assessor lives across the street, so it is going to look like this for a while.
    Last edited by tripledog; 03-25-2016 at 02:06 PM.

--
    Pics of TV stand.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-23_19-08-56_134.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	882.3 KB 
ID:	229466
    250r rules

--
    Pics of TV stand.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-23_19-08-56_134.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	882.3 KB 
ID:	229466
    Wow, now that's what I am talking about. Very nicely done!!! You realize that I am going to steal your idea, don't you?

--
    Steal away lol. Iv been wanting to do a side business with repurposing stuff like this and selling it at flea markets. I will get better pics of this and the bench. I didn't fill the nail holes in the pallot boards it gives the stand character. The coffee table I made for a coworker.
    Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    Wow, now that's what I am talking about. Very nicely done!!! You realize that I am going to steal your idea, don't you?
    250r rules

--
    Steal away lol. Iv been wanting to do a side business with repurposing stuff like this and selling it at flea markets. I will get better pics of this and the bench. I didn't fill the nail holes in the pallot boards it gives the stand character. The coffee table I made for a coworker.
    Agreed. In my opinion, nail holes, dents, and traces of paint lend a bit of character, history, and charm to a home made item. I have also thought of starting a business, but I never thought of flea markets as a venue for selling things. Great suggestion, thanks!

--
    Made these this morning.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-03-25_12-23-41_956.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	229520
    250r rules

--
    When household products go bad...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scrap crap.jpg  

Chopsaw is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    [QUOTE=I never thought of flea markets as a venue for selling things.![/QUOTE]

I used to pick up dunage and pallots off the job site . I'd make them into display shelves , picture frames , just simple stuff for wall deco . Leave some raw so people good finish them selves some I would stain . Take 30 items to the flea market , and they were gone in less than 1 hour . I have a table and a clock that I kept for myself . I'll get pics up .

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //