//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Gen 250R Rear wheels on a 2nd Gen

--

3rd Gen 250R Rear wheels on a 2nd Gen

I have a set of 3rd gen gold rear wheels that I want to use on my 83....however the bolt holes are bigger and the wheel is thicker...is this a hub replacement issue?

--
    The hubs may need to be changed to a 4x110 pattern. On the earlier 81-82 model this makes it work. 400ex hubs will extend the axle.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan View Post
    The hubs may need to be changed to a 4x110 pattern. On the earlier 81-82 model this makes it work. 400ex hubs will extend the axle.
    Thanks Morgan. The bolt pattern is the same between 2nd gen and 3rd gen...4X110. The wheels actually "fit"...however the holes on the 3rd gen wheels are larger and the wheel is thicker...the factory studs on the 2nd gen hub aren't long enough....surely someone has tried to do this before?

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by miket007 View Post
    Thanks Morgan. The bolt pattern is the same between 2nd gen and 3rd gen...4X110. The wheels actually "fit"...however the holes on the 3rd gen wheels are larger and the wheel is thicker...the factory studs on the 2nd gen hub aren't long enough....surely someone has tried to do this before?
    You need conical shaped lug nuts and longer studs or bolts. The problem with longer bolts is it wont seat in the hub so you will have to hold the head of the bolt with a wrench or socket.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    You need conical shaped lug nuts and longer studs or bolts. The problem with longer bolts is it wont seat in the hub so you will have to hold the head of the bolt with a wrench or socket.

Thanks Mr. Clean...where can those be sourced?

--
    You can also get the rear wheel studs & conical seat lug nuts for an '85-89 250R and press them into your '83-84 250R hubs, then only one wrench is needed when removing/installing the lug nuts. A friend & I did this to his '84 250R when he got a good deal on some '86 250R rear wheels/tires.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Thanks Mr. Clean...where can those be sourced?
    Let me look at what I have laying around, I may have a set of studs for a 3rd gen 250r and lug nuts. If I do I will PM you.

I would think you could get some longer bolts from Fastenal or copper canyon hardware supply store.

--
    I ran into this issue with a first gen 200X build.

As you found out, the later Hondas use the same 4/110 bolt pattern, but the wheels are thicker and set up for acorn style lug nuts.

I had some later (TRX?) wheels and I could not use them on my old 200X hubs - the studs were just too short.

I had no luck finding longer studs for anywhere near a reasonable price. I might not have been able to find any lugs at all - it's been a while but I remember being frustrated by the whole thing.

I resolved it by using 400EX hubs/studs/nuts on the 200X. Used to be able to get both hubs with nuts for $40-$50 if you're patient.

Try to get them with the lug nuts or you'll end up ordering those, too.

If you squint, you can see the hubs & wheels in these pics:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In_Progress_2_5_11_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	229455

Name:	In_Progress_2_5_11_2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	229456

--

--
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2wheels View Post
    I ran into this issue with a first gen 200X build.

As you found out, the later Hondas use the same 4/110 bolt pattern, but the wheels are thicker and set up for acorn style lug nuts.

I had some later (TRX?) wheels and I could not use them on my old 200X hubs - the studs were just too short.

I had no luck finding longer studs for anywhere near a reasonable price. I might not have been able to find any lugs at all - it's been a while but I remember being frustrated by the whole thing.

I resolved it by using 400EX hubs/studs/nuts on the 200X. Used to be able to get both hubs with nuts for $40-$50 if you're patient.

Try to get them with the lug nuts or you'll end up ordering those, too.

If you squint, you can see the hubs & wheels in these pics:

Name:	In_Progress_2_5_11_1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	229455

Name:	In_Progress_2_5_11_2.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	229456
    JB thanks. Will the 400EX hubs work on the 2nd gen 250R axle and support the 3rd gen wheels?

--
    Let me look at what I have laying around, I may have a set of studs for a 3rd gen 250r and lug nuts. If I do I will PM you.

I would think you could get some longer bolts from Fastenal or copper canyon hardware supply store.
    Thanks Mr. Clean..I just noticed you are about 15mins from me.

--
    Thanks Mr. Clean..I just noticed you are about 15mins from me.
    I am being told the 400ex style hubs fit the second gen 250r. I have a set in the garage, just need to dig out some lug nuts. I will PM you with some details this weekend.

--
    I am being told the 400ex style hubs fit the second gen 250r. I have a set in the garage, just need to dig out some lug nuts. I will PM you with some details this weekend.

Awesome...thanks.

--
    I have an 84 250r that I put 400ex hubs and 86 atc250r wheels on. Bolts right up and adds 4 inches of width, give or take. Nice upgrade.

--
    I used the rear hubs from a 89 trx 300 2x4 and the tapered lug nuts.
    250r rules

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //