//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 ATC250R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

--
    The foot pegs were black btw.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post
    I have discovered that I am a closet OEM obsessive freakazoid so I am trying to keep all of the finishes as close to factory as possible, without sacrificing durability.
    Don't burn yourself out obsessing over nos and oem. This happened to me on my bike and really turned me off of trikes after that.

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Sorry, all the hot pink goes on my rides.
    I'm loving the period correct colors on that CR man! Heck...makes me want to start a whole other project!

--
    Damn man that thing is really turning out nice!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I been looking for another mid eighties CR for awhile but they are hard to find and the bikes I locate are trashed beyond belief.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by ironchop View Post
    I been looking for another mid eighties CR for awhile but they are hard to find and the bikes I locate are trashed beyond belief.

Sent from my Z998 using Tapatalk
    Hell come buy this one off of me. I want a kdx again anyway. LOL

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I've had a few days off so in between honey-do's, I was able to get a few things accomplished. First off, I got my new (rebuilt) carrier back from yaegerb (this thing looks brand spanking new!!!) along with a replacement axle, sprocket, sprocket hub, rotor and castle nuts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2947.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	488.8 KB 
ID:	229753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2948.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	452.9 KB 
ID:	229754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2949.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	438.7 KB 
ID:	229755
    I also went to a buddy's house to do some minor frame repair. We welded in new nuts for the rear exhaust hanger, and both rear grab bar mounts as well as filled in some unnecessary holes previously drilled and added the tool box support wire that I stole from my old frame.

Name:	IMG_2954.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	318.5 KB 
ID:	229756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2963.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	296.2 KB 
ID:	229757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2957.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	378.3 KB 
ID:	229758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2964.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	229759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2965.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	262.1 KB 
ID:	229760Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2966.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	279.8 KB 
ID:	229761
    I blasted some of the small parts in a benchtop cabinet and will try to get them powdered in satin black at a friend's house tomorrow.

Name:	IMG_2968.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	421.1 KB 
ID:	229762
    The rest is off to a powder coating shop for a proper dose of color and I am dropping all of my hardware and axle off at the plater tomorrow.

Oh! And the engine is on it's way up to St. Louis for a rebuild by yaegerb and PC!

I start a several week-long stint of non-stop work, so this may be it until late April. Stay tuned!

--
    I was able to get to the plater this morning and pick up my hardware. Wow...it's amazing how much better all of it looks!

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	550.7 KB 
ID:	230461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	518.2 KB 
ID:	230462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	230463

I have to thank BusterBrown for setting me straight on the correct finish for the wishbone and the grab bar. Unfortunately, the grab bar had already been plated so I will need to blast it and PC it later. The plater actually did the foot brake lever in yellow zinc instead of black, so it has to be redone. Oh well.

It's amazing how the shiny new look really brings out the imperfections (see axle). Next time I will definitely spend more time polishing before it goes out for plating.

Name:	image4.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	230464

I think it all still looks amazing, but it could definitely look better with more prep. Now for the hard part...miking and sorting all of the loose bolts.

The frame, swinger and hubs are still out for powder and my guy is waaaay behind. He hopes to have it back to me next week. We shall see.

I sent my tank off to Mr. Clean for one of his legendary polishing jobs and the the rear shock went out to none other than onformula1 for a rebuild, revalve and cleaning.

Hopefully in the next two or three weeks all of this will start coming back together and at least resemble an 85R again.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post
    I was able to get to the plater this morning and pick up my hardware. Wow...it's amazing how much better all of it looks!

Name:	image1.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	550.7 KB 
ID:	230461Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	518.2 KB 
ID:	230462Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	230463

I have to thank BusterBrown for setting me straight on the correct finish for the wishbone and the grab bar. Unfortunately, the grab bar had already been plated so I will need to blast it and PC it later. The plater actually did the foot brake lever in yellow zinc instead of black, so it has to be redone. Oh well.

It's amazing how the shiny new look really brings out the imperfections (see axle). Next time I will definitely spend more time polishing before it goes out for plating.

Name:	image4.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	441.4 KB 
ID:	230464

I think it all still looks amazing, but it could definitely look better with more prep. Now for the hard part...miking and sorting all of the loose bolts.

The frame, swinger and hubs are still out for powder and my guy is waaaay behind. He hopes to have it back to me next week. We shall see.

I sent my tank off to Mr. Clean for one of his legendary polishing jobs and the the rear shock went out to none other than onformula1 for a rebuild, revalve and cleaning.

Hopefully in the next two or three weeks all of this will start coming back together and at least resemble an 85R again.

Looks fantastic! can't wait to see it become a roller.

--

85R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

Not much to add since last week. I was able to get quite a bit done and shipped off while I had a break from work, but now I'm back on a standard diet of trabajo...oh well. Life.

Thank goodness my awesome bro Yaeger has been helping me. I shipped my motor up north to him and it is definitely in good hands now. I knew that I had some case saver damage, so we decided to send both cases to Carlos at BDT for the reapairs....what I didn't know was I that had crank and counterbalancer problems too...ugh.

BDT is going to address both of these issues and fix all of my case damage too. The jug went out to Fast for a fresh hone and chamfering and should be back in St. Louis about the same time my cases, crank and counter are. All new bearings, seals and gaskets and a metric sh_t ton of greatness later...and I have a brand new motor! Thank you brother Yaeger!!!

I have decided to go head and powder the calipers, and brackets. Went ahead and disassembled the perches, levers and front master cylinder too. This is all going to get a coat of black satin powder as well. Oh...and the bars too.

I'm starting to realize that I'm not REALLY restoring this machine...MANY OTHER people are! I disassembled and am merely RE-assembling the work that others are performing FOR me. For THAT I am forever grateful.

So...like I said... Not much too add, but I should start making some headway in the weeks to come.

But for now...

Yaegerb
    onformula1
    Mr. Clean
    Buster Brown
    BKM

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 04-23-2016 at 11:46 PM.

--
    I was leery of powder coating the front master cylinder because of the sight glass, so I tried it on a junk master and it melted the glass really bad. I remember reading somewhere on the net someone replaced the sight glass, but it wasn't easy. I just bought a newer 400ex/450r master and taped off the glass and painted it with caliper paint to help with any brake fluid spills.

--

Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    I was leery of powder coating the front master cylinder because of the sight glass, so I tried it on a junk master and it melted the glass really bad.
    Me too! Luckily, Buster Brown got back to me on that, walked me through the sight glass removal and provided me with the replacement glass and installation instructions. I have already ordered TWO new glasses (cuz I KNOW I will royally F the first one up!) I think I'm set!
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 04-24-2016 at 12:08 AM.

--

At least I have something to ride while my "main squeeze" is under the knife. We spent last weekend with friends at their East Texas cabin patrolling the woods and keeping things safe:

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	659.5 KB 
ID:	230774
    My son has decided that my X is actually SLIGHTLY cooler than his KFX...uh-oh!

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	747.5 KB 
ID:	230775
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 04-24-2016 at 12:45 AM.

--
    I finally got around to cleaning up my wiring harness which was completely filthy and found this:

Name:	wiring.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	710.5 KB 
ID:	230880
    It looks like my voltage regulator was hooked up wrong and the ground wire has been fried. The headlight has always worked, but the tail light? Not so much. Hmmm....

--
    you don't have a lot to play with concerning the yellow wire so be careful when cutting the male end off the voltage regulator...um why are the colors swapped on the plugs?

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //