//ArrowChat Code
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 ATC250R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

--
    Looks awesome man keep up the good work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Thanks Bryan! Your 86R build has and is my inspiration for this one. I just hope it turns out in the same ball park as yours.

Unfortunately with summer coming up, the assembly will likely be at a snail's pace unless I can somehow convince the wife that this would be a great way to teach the kids a thing or two.

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    That's interesting that you brought that up Glamy. Because the wheel and tire set are Enkei/Ohtsu, which are correct for the '86 but not for my '85. To be correct, I need Hirata/Dunlop and I don't see me finding those...Unless I could swing a trade. Anyone?

I would say the tires have at least 80% tread left...quite possibly more and they are in pretty good shape. Very little sidewall cracking.

The front has the same amount of tread, but has considerable cracking and won't hold air.

I need the rear wheels even though they aren't correct for my bike because mine originals are trashed. I may look at selling off the Pro Vectors to help offset my ever-expanding build costs though. I like the new Cheetahs (I have a set on my 350X). Having them on this build would be just fine with me.

Thanks for the idea.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    I like that name...I may use that one someday
    I thought it was Fatazz Racing??? Or Phatazz Racing??? (My mistake?)
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    You may be right Milner! I will have to go back through my records to find the correct spelling (it's been so long since I addressed the crate that I have forgotten ).

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    I thought it was Fatazz Racing??? Or Phatazz Racing??? (My mistake?)
    Fatasse Racing it is. Book it Danno!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    CHRISTMAS IS IN SEPTEMBER THIS YEAR!!!

I thought today would be a great day to knock the dust off this build thread, as my engine just arrived on my doorstep. I have been anxiously awaiting it's arrival and it definitely did not disappoint... THIS ENGINE IS A PIECE OF ART! The guys (guy) at Fatasse Racing of St. Louis, MO do an OUTSTANDING job and I simply cannot say enough great things about them...my hat is off.

This engine was completely disassembled, and the cases were sent to Carlos at BDT for repair (case saver mounts and oil drain hole). Upon their return, we sourced all new OEM bearings, o-rings, gaskets and seals as well as a complete new bolt set. It was determined that I needed a new counter-balancer and the crank needed major attention as well (this was also done by BDT). Reassembly came after the entire engine was coated in satin black powder. It simply looks amazing...maybe too good to even put back in the frame. I've never seen an engine look this good!

It will be a couple more weeks until I can dive into the next phase of this build, which is...actually building it. I have almost all of the parts back, now it is up to me to put them all back in the right places!

Anyway, here are a few pics of the "Heart of the Beast"...I hope you enjoy. (The pics just don't do it justice)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor1.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	234883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor2.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	1,007.9 KB 
ID:	234884Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor3.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	961.9 KB 
ID:	234885Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor4.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	845.3 KB 
ID:	234886Click image for larger version. 

Name:	motor5.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	952.2 KB 
ID:	234887Attachment 234888

--
    We at fatasse racing aim to please! Glad you like it brother. She should run like the wind blows.

--
    Brother Brendon, you sir are the man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Indeed the man is a Grade A professional (and a he11 of a nice guy to boot). No detail was spared and absolutely no shortcuts were taken. By all practical purposes, this is a brand new engine and I honestly believe that it is better built than it was when it was originally assembled back in early 1985. I can't wait to hear it sing!

I have asked Brendon to give a full synopsis of what work was performed as I know I would leave a lot out. He definitely had his work cut our for him with this one...it was a wonder it didn't grenade on me before I decided to send it to him.

--
    Cody asked that I document the build in pics. Here you go. I will let the pictures do most of the talking.

This is when I received the motor earlier this year. On the outside it looked good, but a pressure test revealed both crank seals leaking.

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	234929

Upon case break down I found the counter balancer bearing absolutely destroyed (there was literally no time left on it) and we're lucky the balancer didn't blow out the front of the cases. I also found the kicker shaft distorted where the 30MM spacer rides. We had to source a whole new kickstarter because of this.

Name:	IMG_1122.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	234930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1123.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	234931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1300.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	234936

One of the main reasons he wanted the motor re worked was to fix the all-to-familiar broken case saver mounts. The left case was sent to BDT for some proper treatment. The right case was also sent to get a time sert installed in the oil bolt hole (also notorious for being ruined from years of over tightening).

Name:	IMG_1279.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	143.9 KB 
ID:	234932Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1280.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	234933Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1281.JPG 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	234934Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1286.JPG 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	234935

After receiving the cases I pressed in all new bearings. EVERY bearing was replaced. I also mic'd and rebuilt the transmission. A few shims needed to be replaced. Also the center shift fork and 3rd gear were toast. Quality replacements were sourced from BDT.

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	234949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1301.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	234950

When sending the cases, I also sent the crank for a rebuild, true and weld. Once I received the crank I didn't even think I needed to check the welds, so I reassembled the case halves and ended up with the first picture below. The crank wouldn't spin because the left hand weld was protruding into the cases. I split the cases back apart and proceeded to grinding that area down with a stone and dremel.

Name:	IMG_1345.JPG 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	234939Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1347.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	234937Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1346.JPG 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	234938Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1461.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	234940Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1460.JPG 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	234941

Case half reassembly number 2. The grinding went perfectly.

Name:	IMG_1336.JPG 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	234943Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1470.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	234942

Yummy fresh powder. Piston/Cylinder/head all back together.

Name:	IMG_1471.JPG 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	234944Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1473.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	234945Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1472.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	120.8 KB 
ID:	234946

Brand new OEM clutch plates (fibers/steels) and inner clutch hub was installed along with new springs and bolts. This is how I prep the steels before setting in the hub.

Name:	IMG_1477.JPG 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	234947Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1475.JPG 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	234948

I decided to blast the intake manifold and clean it up along with a thorough cleaning of the reeds. It was at this point that I cleaned the stator and put shrink wrap on the stator wires sealing them off from any future water.

Name:	IMG_1512.JPG 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	234951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1513.JPG 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	234952

And here is the final product. Cody went the extra mile and bought the BDT bolt kit and I think the whole unit turned out fabulous. There were a couple delays and a few hiccups in the build but all in all this motor is built to run. Maybe in a year or two he will send it back to fatasse racing for some port work and a stroker crank

Name:	IMG_1615.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	234953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1616.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	234954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1617.JPG 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	234955Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1618.JPG 
Size:	110.0 KB 
ID:	234956
    Last edited by yaegerb; 09-16-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Awesome Job!! Cody stop flying jets and get to work building this thing of beauty!!

--
    You might be on to something Mike! If I could just figure out how to do that and still get a paycheck, I would be set.

Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to figure that scenario out (yet) so I am doomed to trike building on days off. It should be relatively easy for me though, I farmed out all of the hard stuff to the pros like you, Brendon and Milner! All I have to do is bolt it all back together.

I am so pumped though! I officially have all of this machine back under the same roof now.

My mailman showed up at about 7:30 pm tonight with my shock! Milner definitely did not disappoint...in fact he nailed it! I am so happy that I sent it to him because this thing is another form of functional beauty and I will be so proud to have it as part of this build!

I sent it to him for a rebuild and revalve and he went way above and beyond. This shock looks like it came right off of the NOS shelf at a dealership...very, very happy. Thank you Milner!!!

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	234959

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--
    Looking really good man. I'm curious about welding the crank pin though. I know the inherent problems with the banshee cranks, but I've never heard of there being a probelm with the crank pins on the 250r. Especially not a stock engine. I'd be more woried about the tins coming apart before there was a problem with the pin. But, I guess there is no such thing as building an engine too strong.

--
    They are basically crank stuffers to reduce crankcase volume and move air/fuel faster. When they come apart they do some major damage as you've experienced. These tins would be my main area of concern over the crank pin. Personally, I've never seen or heard of a pin coming loose and taking out an engine, but I have seen the damage first hand the tins will create.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //