//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 ATC250R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

--
    Yep, they are crank stuffers and yes they are another weak point. I failed to mention that on this particular crank the left Tin had some damage and Carlos decided to replace the entire tin. Carlos and I talked a while on the phone about welding the tins but we decided that since this was going to be stock there was no need. If Cody had wanted to go 4mil I would have had the tins welded. I get all of my crank pins welded because for 10 bucks why the hell not...just extra insurance to me. But yes you are correct bryan, I have never heard of a pin coming apart on an R, however they implode on shee's on a daily basis.
    Last edited by yaegerb; 09-17-2016 at 11:56 AM.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Nothing wrong with a little extra insurance. It might make future rebuilds a pain, but it won't come apart.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I was able to make a little progress today and am really starting to get excited about this build again.

I started with driving the outer bearing races into the steering tube, then went straight to mating the engine to the frame. I thought the motor looked incredible by itself, but it actually looks better in the frame!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	235304

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	235310

Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	235311
    Next up, I mounted the dogbone to the swinger and then pressed in my new Delrin swingarm pivot collars courtesy of BKM...thanks Bryan! These things are awesome.

The swinger went in smoothly and my new TRX400EX pivot bolt holds it together perfectly. I did have to go back and loosen all the engine mounts to get the swinger to mate up...is that normal? After the pivot bolt was torqued, I went back and torqued the mounts.

All in all, I'm very pleased with what was accomplished in a couple of hours:

Views:	25 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	235305

Views:	27 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	235306

Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	235307

Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	235308

Views:	41 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	235309

Hopefully I will have some more time this weekend and get things a little further along. I had hoped to have it on it's wheels, but realized that I don't have the lower dust seal for the steering stem. The front end will unfortunately have to wait for a few more days. Oh well.

The goal is to get the rear suspension and cooling system mounted and maybe even the carb and wiring harness by Sunday evening. With kids sports and other projects it's amazing just how little time is left over on the weekends!

Quick question: Does anyone know a good source for bulk hose? I want to replace the tubing for the coolant overflow bottle, carb vent lines and fuel line. Also trying to keep it stock in appearance. Thanks.
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 10-01-2016 at 12:15 AM.

--
    looking great! Nice job so far
    85 ATC 250r -Under Construction
    86 TRX250r
    05 KFX400
    02 400EX

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post
    I was able to make a little progress today and am really starting to get excited about this build again.

I started with driving the outer bearing races into the steering tube, then went straight to mating the engine to the frame. I thought the motor looked incredible by itself, but it actually looks better in the frame!

Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	235304

Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	235310

Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	235311
    Next up, I mounted the dogbone to the swinger and then pressed in my new Delrin swingarm pivot collars courtesy of BKM...thanks Bryan! These things are awesome.

The swinger went in smoothly and my new TRX400EX pivot bolt holds it together perfectly. I did have to go back and loosen all the engine mounts to get the swinger to mate up...is that normal? After the pivot bolt was torqued, I went back and torqued the mounts.

All in all, I'm very pleased with what was accomplished in a couple of hours:

Views:	25 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	235305

Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	235306

Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	235307

Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	235308

Views:	41 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	235309

Hopefully I will have some more time this weekend and get things a little further along. I had hoped to have it on it's wheels, but realized that I don't have the lower dust seal for the steering stem. The front end will unfortunately have to wait for a few more days. Oh well.

The goal is to get the rear suspension and cooling system mounted and maybe even the carb and wiring harness by Sunday evening. With kids sports and other projects it's amazing just how little time is left over on the weekends!

Quick question: Does anyone know a good source for bulk hose? I want to replace the tubing for the coolant overflow bottle, carb vent lines and fuel line. Also trying to keep it stock in appearance. Thanks.
    Looking phenomenal! Keep it up, you will be riding before first snow!

--
    Looks awesome. Stay away from the clear bulk hose at the box stores. It's super thin walled and kinks instead of bending like the stuff honda used.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

--
    Honda hose,don't skimp now ! Looking great ! Thanx for sharing!
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Honda hose it is then. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Thanks glamy... . I was going to call my dealer to either buy or order some, but Partzilla shows the breather tubing (from right rad to the bottle) as discontinued.

I have two sets of rads and overflow bottles with different tubing there. One has clear vinyl and one has black (maybe it's just vacuum line). Don't know what to use there.

Eh hoser...

--
    Thanks glamy... . I was going to call my dealer to either buy or order some, but Partzilla shows the breather tubing (from right rad to the bottle) as discontinued.

I have two sets of rads and overflow bottles with different tubing there. One has clear vinyl and one has black (maybe it's just vacuum line). Don't know what to use there.

Eh hoser...

If I have to source hard to find stuff, I usually call BDT as a last resort. They usually have those hard to find items but you're gonna pay for it.

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    I will check today but I think this overflow hose is for around 9/32" size fittings . I use this on some of the vintage cars I work on.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...FUFrfgodeucDGg

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Ok, that hose fits 1/4" and 9/32" fittings.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR

--
    Thank you Barnett, I will look into getting some of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

--
    Thank you Barnett, I will look into getting some of that.
    No prob, you're welcome . I can tell you that it is very flexible but can kink or reduce in id if you make fairly sharp bends with it . It is also not reinforced with webbing . They put ribs on it to reduce kinking instead . Now, I had some time this morning so I looked up the real deal SAE rated overflow tube made by Gates . This is NOT vacuum tube or windshield washer tube or fuel line . It is the real deal overflow tube currently used by many auto mfg's and is the most kink resistant overflow tubing made . It is made by Gates which is one of the largest mfg's of vehicle belts, hoses and fuel line etc . The others are Goodyear and Dayco.

Below is their catalog . I will post the part numbers and sizes that are available later . They make it in Metric and US standard sizes . Some auto shops like Oreilly, Autozone, Pep Boys, Checker Auto or NAPA should be able to get it.

https://www.gates.com/~/media/files/...al-low-res.pdf

Real carburetor overflow tubing is also available if you can't get the Honda stuff or if it is extremely pricey, however, I can't look that up until later today or tomorrow . Gates may even make it in the size you need so you can look in the link I posted . I used to get it from Mcfaddendale Hardware in So California when I may or may not have lived there.

--
    Any updates on this beast? .... paging Onetrackmind.....

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //