//ArrowChat Code
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 ATC250R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hahaha...Unfortunately, not much to add right now. I have been out of town for work more than I have been home! Add in father/husband duties and that has left me with exactly...no time to work on this thing!

I will have a few days off coming up without many other chores, so I should make some more progress soon. I did get most of the coolant system installed and a few other odds n ends like kicker and shifter. I am actually trying to dye my old rear brake MC hose cover right now. We will see how that goes...

I am still waiting on a dust cover for the lower steering stem bearing. Once that gets here, I can at least get front end on.

If things go my way, it will be a roller very soon with nothing left but a metric sh!t-ton of small stuff to do later ;-)

Stay tuned...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    My 10 yo old son and I tackled a couple of small items today after finishing up a 2 day lacrosse tournament. His job was to reassemble both foot pegs. I had them powdered and all the hardware re-zinged.

I gave him the parts and an exploded diagram from an online catalogue and said "Have at it!" We quickly realized that the powder had reduced the tolerances too much and I had to some Dremeling, but he got them together in perfect order. ��

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	235850

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	235851

Views:	22 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	235852

Views:	23 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	235853

I was also able to get the rear bearing carrier installed along with new pinch bolts, stopper bolt and washer and dust seals. It sure looks purty!

Views:	26 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	235854

Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	235855

Views:	21 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	235856

I'm still waiting on some parts, but I think I might be able to have it back on three wheels in the next few days. I have really been procrastinating on rebuilding the perches, calipers and rear MC...I may just have to rip the bandaid off and knock that out tomorrow.

--
    Absolutely killer. I got 10 bucks that says you wince the first mud puddle you hit
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Thanks brother! Yeah, it's definitely going to be tough getting it dirty for the first time...

--
    I've got the rear brake system components rebuilt and the carrier/axle installed, but am having a little issue with the brake torque link. In the pic below, I am having problems with the two torque link seals (#18). I have the ones that I took off, but they are a much larger diameter that the bushing they show to go on. When I cinch down that nut, they squish out. They are disco by Honda, so should I just improvise with something that will fit?

Name:	RearCaliper.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	235959

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post
    I've got the rear brake system components rebuilt and the carrier/axle installed, but am having a little issue with the brake torque link. In the pic below, I am having problems with the two torque link seals (#18). I have the ones that I took off, but they are a much larger diameter that the bushing they show to go on. When I cinch down that nut, they squish out. They are disco by Honda, so should I just improvise with something that will fit?

Name:	RearCaliper.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	235959
    So you are saying the OEM's are not working...they are larger than the OD of the bushing shoulder?

--
    Well, not exactly. I have no way of knowing if what I removed and saved was, in fact, OEM. The ID of the seals measure 19mm and the OD of the bushing shoulder measures 21mm so in theory, they should work just fine. Unfortunately when I put any pressure on them, they sqhish out. They are very soft rubber. There isn't a torque value in the manual for that castle nut...hmm...

Here is something else: If you notice on the Honda parts diagram above, you see that it calls for the seals, bushing, washer, lock washer and then the castle nut and cotter pin. In the pic below (from the Honda shop manual), it doesnt call for the seals at all and it also doesn't call for the lock washer either. This really has me scratching my head. If I delete those three pieces, there is way too much slop.

Name:	Manual_brakes.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	654.5 KB 
ID:	235960

--
    Well, not exactly. I have no way of knowing if what I removed and saved was, in fact, OEM. The ID of the seals measure 19mm and the OD of the bushing shoulder measures 21mm so in theory, they should work just fine. Unfortunately when I put any pressure on them, they sqhish out. They are very soft rubber. There isn't a torque value in the manual for that castle nut...hmm...

Here is something else: If you notice on the Honda parts diagram above, you see that it calls for the seals, bushing, washer, lock washer and then the castle nut and cotter pin. In the pic below (from the Honda shop manual), it doesnt call for the seals at all and it also doesn't call for the lock washer either. This really has me scratching my head. If I delete those three pieces, there is way too much slop.

Name:	Manual_brakes.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	654.5 KB 
ID:	235960
    Leave all those pieces in, apply ample bel ray, let 'r squish and move on down the road good sir.

--
    Are the other remaining components correct (shouldered washer & shouldered bolt)? If not, that could account for your squishy issue.
    Red Rider's Sand Machine Updated 07/23/14

--
    Red
    That torque link actually rides on a bolt (with a permanent shoulder) welded to the swinger. I know it's correct and I'm pretty sure that the shouldered bushing is as well.

I am going to try a different setup with hard rubber o-rings and see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Two words that I wish that I had listened to early on in this build... bolt and kit. Man, had I listened I would be so much better off in time and money. Every time I turn around, it seemed as if I was short on the required bolts for a particular part and had to order (I tried to plan ahead for this, but didn't do a good enough job obviously). Oh well... Partzilla has a LOT of my money now.

On the brake torque link, I wound up using an extra brake pedal dust seal on one side and an o-ring on the other. I think it will work great.

Anyway, here is my progress so far...it's starting to look like an R again. Finally!

Views:	42 
Size:	2.34 MB 
ID:	236258Click image for larger version. 

Views:	42 
ID:	236258Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	236259Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	236260Click image for larger version. 

Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	236261Click image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	236262Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	236263

I found a tool in the plumbing section of Home Depot that worked great (minor mods) as a spanner wrench for the steering stem nut ($7):

Views:	25 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	236264Click image for larger version. 

Views:	27 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	236265

Front end going on

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	236266Click image for larger version. 

Views:	22 
Size:	2.32 MB 
ID:	236267Click image for larger version. 

Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	236268Click image for larger version. 

Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	236269Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	236270

ID:	236271

Powdered OEM grab bar and nice '85 tool box (w all tools including spanner). I added the 350x stays for extra lateral support.Click image for larger version. 

Views:	29 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	236272Click image for larger version. 

Views:	24 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	236273

Nice powder work on the throttle cover

Views:	28 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	236274

Had the OEM sprocket that I got from yaegerb replated...looks sharp. Rear brakes finally finished.

Views:	36 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	236275Click image for larger version. 

Views:	36 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	236275Click image for larger version. 

Views:	30 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	236276Click image for larger version. 

Views:	31 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	236277
    I'm really digging the new Cheetahs. Was going to try and use the Ohtsus that I got, but the front was awful. Besides...this bike deserves new shoes!

Views:	44 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	236278Click image for larger version. 

Views:	37 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	236279Click image for larger version. 

Views:	32 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	236280

Hopefully I will have a little time next week and can get back into the garage...I'm ready to ride this beast!
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 10-27-2016 at 08:36 PM.

--
    Wow, looking sharp man. Finish line is near!

--
    Finally finished. I think it turned out pretty well.

Name:	final1.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	236727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final2.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	236728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final3.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	236729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final4.JPG 
Views:	43 
ID:	236730

--
    Finally finished. I think it turned out pretty well.

Name:	final1.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	236727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final2.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	236728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final3.JPG 
Views:	62 
ID:	236729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	final4.JPG 
Views:	43 
ID:	236730
    That turned out excellent! Nice job man!

--

85 ATC250R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

Quote Originally Posted by glamy View Post
    It makes me want to cry ........ what a nice job are you gonna use it or just look at it ? ....i love it !
    Thanks glamy. Honestly, now that it's finished...I just don't know. I always thought that I would just "reset it's clock" to 1985 and use it like I would have thirty-one years ago, but seeing it like this has me wanting to keep it this way forever.

I'm trying to find a way to convince the wife that it would look great as a piece of art in the living room. Or maybe as one of those cool pool-hall type lights above our game room pool table. Would look pretty sweet with LED accents!

I have a busy couple of weeks with work, so I will do some soul searching about it while away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 11-09-2016 at 04:52 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //