//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 85 ATC250R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --

85 ATC250R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

Well I am finally getting around to doing a full-on refresh of my 250R. It always bugged me that the frame was bent and every time I tried to work on something that bolt was rust/corrosion welded in place. So...I bought a very nice, straight frame along with some other odds n ends from BKM a while back and started amassing some other needed pieces.

I am really undecided on which way to go with this build. On one hand a simple frame swap with a good deep cleaning and lubing would be entirely sufficient. On the other hand why not go all the way and get some powder coat, paint and plating done? I mean...it's already completely disassembled now and I may not want to ever do this again to this bike! What do y'all think?

I may already have a really good (cheap) connection to both a powder coater AND a plater that are both local.That would make the decision a little easier for me. I also now have access to a blasting cabinet and a mobile sand blaster.

As an aside, what would be a good price for a powder coat job on a frame?

A couple of weeks ago I started the tear down and it went pretty well until I started working on the rearend. The brake hub would not move! No amount of Kroil or heat or beating would make it budge so...I cut the dang axle! Voila! Unfortunately, I then had a two-piece axle and a completely jacked up carrier. Fortunately, my bro Brendon came to the rescue with nice replacement axle and rebuilt an eBay carrier that I bought. I say rebuilt, but this thing now looks like an NOS work of art! Thank you sir!

The next problem was (of course) the pivot bolt. It was so badly stuck that when I turned it, the whole swingarm rotated with it. I finally got it spinning w a ton of heat and a borrowed electric impact wrench. My $20 air got it inching in the right direction, then it was back to the 2 lb sledge and a long lag bolt to drive it the rest of the way.

Today I will try to remove the bearings and collars. I saw a thread a while back where one user (roscoew maybe) used all-thread w nuts, washers and sockets to push and pull them out. I will post my results.

Since I completely jacked the pivot bolt nut and also bugered the bolt threads, I am now in need of a replacement pivot bolt and nut. I know that a TRX250R (86-89) bolt will work, but they are eBay pricey. I have heard that a 400EX bolt will work, but what years?

I will start to post some pics of my progress (or lack there of) today or tomorrow. Wish me luck!
    Cody

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 09-16-2016 at 05:07 PM.

--
    Pics or it didn't happen
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

Onetrackmind is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Ha! You know all to well that it happened... I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach that my R will forever remain in boxes!

This is a pic of it the day I bought it...pretty rough:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1533.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	480.6 KB 
ID:	229418
    And here is a recent pic before it exploded all over the garage:

Name:	IMG_2257.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	581.8 KB 
ID:	229419
    Here is my handiwork with a grinder and my awesome two-piece 250R axle:

Name:	IMG_2829.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	354.6 KB 
ID:	229420Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2832.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	478.4 KB 
ID:	229421

--
    Nope, it'll be back together in a couple months. No worries man!

--
    A few pics of the sweet donor frame and other replacement parts that I got from Bryan:

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	229422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2890.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	229442Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	229445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0132.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	229446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	229447
    ...and some other stuff that I have bought:

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	229423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0122.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	229424Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0127.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	993.8 KB 
ID:	229425
    Oh, and I got a sweet deal on these OEM rear fenders:

Name:	IMG_0194.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	955.3 KB 
ID:	229426Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0197.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1,002.3 KB 
ID:	229427
    And these '86 rear wheels and tires which are in amazing shape ($50 total). The front forks and wheel assembly were snagged for another $25! BTW, will '86 forks work with an '85 front hub and brake?

Name:	IMG_2886.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	454.9 KB 
ID:	229428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2888.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	613.7 KB 
ID:	229429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2889.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	534.9 KB 
ID:	229430
    Last edited by Onetrackmind; 03-23-2016 at 03:40 PM.

--
    More parts:

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	55.1 KB 
ID:	229432Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0100 (2).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	229433Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0116.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	229434Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	229435
    The decals came from Jeff Blackburn (pantera1975) and they are awesome. I also found an OEM grab bar that is in decent shape.

This is what I am now left with:

Name:	IMG_2799.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	489.8 KB 
ID:	229437Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2890.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	419.3 KB 
ID:	229438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2901.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	566.1 KB 
ID:	229439Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2927.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	583.3 KB 
ID:	229440
    And an unneeded (slightly bent) frame

Name:	IMG_2928.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	532.2 KB 
ID:	229441

So... now that the easy part is done. Now what? AHHHH!!!!

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by Onetrackmind View Post
    What do y'all think? Yes, redo the paint/powder/plating

As an aside, what would be a good price for a powder coat job on a frame? I had one frame powder coated, it was $225

I have heard that a 400EX bolt will work, but what years? I think all years 400EX are the same, you could check part numbers.

Today I will try to remove the bearings and collars. The collars should be pretty easy to remove, they are not pressed in but corrosion could be an issue. Try using a propane torch for both the colllars and bearings. I have had success with heating the swingarm where the bearing are installed and using a socket and extension to drive out the bearing once the collar is removed.

Wish me luck! Good Luck!!!

See responses in red

--
    Thanks for the responses Mike. I will tackle the collars and bushings this afternoon and order a 400EX pivot bolt as well. Mine might be ok to reuse, but the nut is toast...so might as well replace the set.

Waiting to hear back from the powder coater and also need to start compiling a list of what parts need coating, paint or plating and what colors to use. I need to start doing my homework!

Thanks again.
    Cody

--

85R Refresh / Rebuild (First Timer)

I have found both a local powder coater and plater and will be getting the various pieces to them in the next week or two.

Question: Some of the parts like foot brake lever, foot pegs and grab bar were originally black oxide zinc...correct? Should I go back with the original plating on these items or take them to be powder coated black instead?

--
    I have found both a local powder coater and plater and will be getting the various pieces to them in the next week or two.

Question: Some of the parts like foot brake lever, foot pegs and grab bar were originally black oxide zinc...correct? Should I go back with the original plating on these items or take them to be powder coated black instead?

I think the brake lever, foot pegs and grab bar were hot pink oxide zinc......

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Anything you can fit in an oven you can powdercoat yourself, if you want to try your hand at that.

JesseA420 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Should I go back with the original plating on these items or take them to be powder coated black instead?
    thats the beauty of a complete tear down and refurbish. u can do it any way u want completely up to you.
    if your powder coater carries prismatic powders u can add some pizazz to your color scheme with flake or super chrome base with a translucent colored midcoat

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    I think the brake lever, foot pegs and grab bar were hot pink oxide zinc......
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Maybe I could find some grips to match! BKM...do you have any extras from you CR?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseA420 View Post
    thats the beauty of a complete tear down and refurbish. u can do it any way u want completely up to you.
    if your powder coater carries prismatic powders u can add some pizazz to your color scheme with flake or super chrome base with a translucent colored midcoat
    I have discovered that I am a closet OEM obsessive freakazoid so I am trying to keep all of the finishes as close to factory as possible, without sacrificing durability.

--
    Sorry, all the hot pink goes on my rides.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //