//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone! My 1986 BR!

--

Hi everyone! My 1986 BR!

Hey guys and gals.. Rob here..

Been following this site for a long time now and I'd like to first off thank you for all the information and links!

/// Start Background

Around 2001-2002 my friend and I got ahold of two 1986 Honda Three wheelers. Mine was a 1986 Big Red and his was a 250sx (exactly like the 2 pictured in the Clymer). We rode the hell out of them and by all means we beat the living crap out of them. Its a shame we did considering how much of a gem these things are today! No regrets for the sake of fun though!!!

Well as life went on, I joined the Navy in 2006 and he let me keep the BR at his house in upstate NY while I served. It was kept under a tarp behind his house outside for 10 years. Mind you, it was running when I left it there.

So, just last year I went back home to visit and he mentioned me taking the BR back. So I did and put it on my truck and thought about what the hell I'm gonna do with this old beat down thing.. Sell it? Part it? Rebuild it?? Brought it back home in North Chicago (where I'm currently stationed) and got it into the garage. Checked the oil, air box, spark plug.. all the normal stuff. I put just a bit of trans oil in the top end and tried to kick it over, betting it was seized up. NOPE!! Cleaned the spark plug up and checked for spark... Yep! So what the hell lets try to start it up! The gas tank is rusted out on the inside and leaks so I rigged up a 2 liter bottle with fuel in it and gave it a whirl.. Sure enough after just a few kicks it fired right up!! I ran through the gears and everything worked just as I parked it 10 years ago!

Just hearing the engine running, and that distinct smell of exhaust when you first fire it up brought back so many memories.. The choice was clear.. Were gonna restore the BR!!

///End Background Story

My daughter (11 y/o) and I cleaned it up and sprayed it down with PB. We already have everything apart and I have even got some replacement parts waiting to be installed. Currently, everything is bagged and tagged with the engine out of the frame. I'm thinking of having it powder coated. Though I'm not sure yet, I enjoy the time and pride it takes to complete a project, though powder coating is much more durable than epoxy.. Thoughts?

So as I said everything is apart and it all went smooth with the exception of the lower motor mount bolt. The issue is it sat outside for 10 years and was probably never removed since manufacturing. I managed to snap both heads off each side and have now resorted to using an easy out and slight heat to get it to turn. Unfortunately the casing snapped on the engine but not where it would cause the engine to leak (I'll add pics of this). Looking for advice on a possible fix or temp repair for this. Id like to not replace the lower end unless I absolutely have to.

Thanks again for the help and inputs on the forum. I considered scrapping her but after I saw the support online here I decided to stick with it!

--
    Sounds like an exciting time for you, man. Thanks for your service and good luck with the project!

--

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

--

--
    Welcome to the site...
    Current Trikes
    2 1985 Honda 250sx
    1985 Big Red
    2 1983 YTM 200k's. 1 for parts.
    KLT 250 Prairie
    1982 Honda 185 - Waiting to be saved
    1985 125m Parts Machine

Still on the hunt for a 1986 350x and 250r.

--
    Thanks for your support! And, yes it most certainly is a great time!

--
    Nice big red! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB_IMG_1461338760661.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	230965

--
    Nice lineup filbs!

--
    Update: Had to get a hold of a new top end. Unfortunately the cam tore into the journals pretty bad and damaged thr cam, head and cover.

--
    Luckily I was able to obtain a good top end so while I'm waiting on a gasket set I did some polishing.

--
    Valves are now lapped with new valve seals installed. Really want to put it all back together but thinking I should go ahead and replace the lower jug gasket before I do.. Still waiting on warmer weather to get the frame painted anyways..

--
    If you do replace the cylinder base gasket, you should at least replace the rings and have the cylinder honed. If there's much wear, go ahead and get an oversized piston.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 350for350 View Post
    If you do replace the cylinder base gasket, you should at least replace the rings and have the cylinder honed. If there's much wear, go ahead and get an oversized piston.
    After inspecting the bore and taking some inside diameter measurements I decided to just replace the piston rings and lower jug gasket.. it's all put together now..

--
    So I was reading the Clymer I have and it specifically details not to lap the valves and if you do it will certainly cause failure? It goes on to say the valves are coated with a "special" material..

I know people who have lapped them before and have no issues .. what's the big deal ?

--
    Last edited by BoxerBoss; 06-03-2016 at 08:17 PM. Reason: After media blasting.. prepping for paint

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //