//ArrowChat Code

Thread: Spark Advancer Question

--

Spark Advancer Question

First off i'm going to admit this is not a three wheeler. I'm sorry, but I know this is the place to come for answers on a 80's Honda and It's the only forum I'm active on. I acquired a 81 Honda XL185 dirt bike from a friend of mine for free. It had been sitting in a barn for 10 years. Long story short I got it running and its in awesome shape for its age. As far as I can tell it's principals of operation are no different from a 185s ATC. So the problem I'm having is that I cant get above above about 1/2 throttle. It will choke out and die if held. Its not starving for fuel because the choke makes it worse. I pulled off the "CDI" plate and found that the springs on the spark advance were turned to dust. So looked through all my stuff and found that I had everything to a CDI setup but the spark advance. I did how ever find a couple springs from god knows what that I made work. Reinstalled and have the same issue. Now I assume that those springs are setup to exact specs for the advance to work correctly. My question is if I get one off ebay for $30 you think this is my problem? I'm assuming so but wouldn't mind a little input before I pull the trigger. Thanks

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    OK you do not need to buy a whole advance this is the part number for the springs. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...4-437-000.html. This number comes from a 1998 200r. The thing is the advancer has the same part number for all of the 185 200 motors of this era but its only this bike that has the parts listed individually.

Sent from my KFFOWI using Tapatalk

--
    I’m only the cylinder guy; did you check for the correct cranking compression?
    JT

--
    Well crap I wish I wasn't so impatient. I bought a advance off eBay last night for $30. Well the next time I run into this on any of my Hondas I'll know. Thanks! I probably should check compression in the meantime though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--
    Here's a pic of it. So excited to get this thing going and add to my red collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

86125m is offline Got The Holeshot Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Well its not a bad idea to have an extra advancer laying around I might would go ahead and order those springs as when my advancer on my 200m was giving me problems the old springs I stole of a parts machine broke not long after I put them in there. by the way looks like a nice bike.

--
    Thats a cool old XL!!

I learned on an XR75 at 12 years old; 4 gears seemed fast!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //