//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Master cylinder cover bolts

--
    Quote Originally Posted by bkm View Post
    Save yourself headaches and invest in a set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers. A set of 8 is around $80 or so. You'll thank yourself later. Dirtchrasher, I believe discovered this a couple of years ago on here and it has been a lifesaver.

Watch this video to see the difference between a Phillips and JIS

https://youtu.be/gEwVUZr5xxQ
    I was checking out the JIS screwdriver sets above. I found that they were really nice but a little expensive and had only certain people who could import them. These things are like ivory or alligator hide. Some had to be imported and others were like a 6 piece set for around $30, probably not great. I kept looking and found that Dennis Kirk sells just the 1/4 inch bits. You get two bits for under $4, they have all 3 sizes of "phillips crosspoint" for under $12 bucks. They sell JIS special flat blade bits too. Thought that was cool since I've never had any special JIS drivers my whole life. I am going to order some.

--
    I've done 3 or 4 master cylinders by drilling them with a left handed drill bit. Once the bit hangs in the screw, it backs right out. Been replacing the screws with counter sunk ones with Allen hexes in them instead of Phillips.

It doesn't hurt to invest in a set of left handed bits, I got mine at the local NAPA store, was $30 for a set of 5, but they are GOOD stuff, carbide. I use them for a lot of stuff, my favorite is the stuck jets in carbs

--
    The KXT brake fluid resivoirs i have were missing the rubber diaphrams that go on top of the brake fluid and seal the fluid in. My question is can i just make a rubber gasket to bolt down with the cover and screws or is there another model part i can use because i can't find used or NOS. Well, i had found one for about $75.00. I would like to rebuild and use the origional 86 KXT brake setup.
    Looking for any information, opinion or knowledge of crossover parts. I think i have seen the KXT master cylinder rebuild kits from Moose.
    Then there is the ole "should i just use a modern dirt bike setup or aftermarket for the master and resivoir and which one?"
    Last edited by fieldy; 02-15-2018 at 10:43 AM.

--
    84-87 KXT & KD 80.
    Diaphram part number # 43028-1035

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //