//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flat track

--

Flat track

I have a dura-blue +4 extended adjustable axle and new dura-blue 4/4 hubs. They have about 3/8ths inch bolts and non tapered nuts. I am looking at different 4/4 beadlock rims and ft tires. I think the old 4/4 pattern is outdated in general. I got to go 4/4 for ft at this time. Someday i might go to the Honda axle and pattern but thats gonna cost me. Go-kart axles look cool too, maybe later.
    Would anyone have a suggestion on the brand/size or offset of the rim.........3+5, 8x8?
    What about tires and tire size/compound to start out with for most tracks?
    I am new to this and looking for anyone wanting to comment about flat tracking, suspension, front tires, any of it. Looks amazingly fun. My trikes are stock 250 for now. Well....tia.

--
    You can get adapters on ebay that go from 4/4 to 4/110.

Kart axles are easy to do and very versatile.

nicker71 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hoosier makes a 15" tire that will mount right up on a 8x8 wheel. It's rd20 compound.
    Need to get it low and wide. Small tires will probably require a change in sprockets to get the gearing back up.
    When I first started racing flat track I was just running 18" lawn mower tires in the rear. I rachet strapped the back end to make it sit lower and than slid the forks down to match.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

--
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    American Racer makes a 16" tire that works nice on a trike. It is a medium hard compound.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by nicker71 View Post
    Hoosier makes a 15" tire that will mount right up on a 8x8 wheel. It's rd20 compound.
    Need to get it low and wide. Small tires will probably require a change in sprockets to get the gearing back up.
    When I first started racing flat track I was just running 18" lawn mower tires in the rear. I rachet strapped the back end to make it sit lower and than slid the forks down to match.
    Hey, you wouldn't happen to be able to get a better shot at them nerf bars. I would like to build a set.

--
    The_steve_man........ i did see those adapters about a week ago, i would still be under 50" wide i guess. I have an old set of 8x8 douglas 3+5 with worn out fast trekkers. I will try to get a mock up measurment on width. Might go this route. I bet i do the kart axle someday, i just know it. I've seen your trike on 3ww before. It is so trick i cant really put words to it. Couldnt hardly see it in that truck bed picture. I wanted to ask about the tire height and overall width on your black 250r with it setup like that. I will check out the 16" tire.

Everyone......I have a 10" Chris white front wheel, no tire yet. I hear you want a round front tire, not flat. Is a twist throttle ok for flat track? I did like the thumb throttle though that i had on the four-stroke 200x, it was my first attempt many years ago at low and wide. Very fun.

Do you guys like wider handlebars, like dirt bikes have? It seems like that would help a little with leverage through turns. I guess my final question at this time would be ....are there many tracks that have turns left and right? To me turning left and right would be more familiar. The speed of same turn tracks may be more fun though, trying to get faster and faster.

Nicker71..... I will check out the 15" tire. Is there a ratio calculator to get a ballpark on the sprockets or just buy a bunch, lol. My stock rear shocks are due for a rebuild asap. I am going to talk to onformua1 about them. So you just had the stock shock compressed all the way with the strap and was there an adjustable dogbone on your 250R or did you make a shorter piece.

86T3.... i notice you and others are not steering me towards beadlocks. Any Tecate tire and sprocket advice?

My responses are kinda out of order a little typing on this phone. I will write these rim tire suggestions down and probably all the people responding to this thread, which i hope continues.Thanks everybody!

--
    The fastest most sideways trike pilots I've seen are running non beadlock wheels, I have no concerns about them. Bead guards might be advisable if your conformable banging wheels. I'm not, but I got a deal on a set so I run them. I run high run tires, the same as the atv on demand test. I am going to hossiers this year on my 450, but I've ran high runs for 4 years. No problems, just trying something new
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Width with a kart axle can be anything you want. It is infinitely adjustable.

I run 12" kart tires and I have hubs to run Honda bolt pattern wheels. All of the shelf stuff.

I am running an 05 450r swingarm that is an inch shorter and I think is causing me problems hooking up too much so I need to find the right tire and width to make it work.

--
    I run paddles with the kart axle too.

nicker71 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by x-rider View Post
    Hey, you wouldn't happen to be able to get a better shot at them nerf bars. I would like to build a set.
    These are first gen yfz 450 alba nerfs, modifications were needed to get them to mount correctly. It was
    pretty simple though.

I'm thinking the flat front tires will be better for hard packed tracks.(I haven't ran mine yet). The knobby I ran at the last race didn't steer very well at all, but the dirt was super hard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

--
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Steve_Man View Post
    I run paddles with the kart axle too.
    Are you switching rear shocks for the regular riding in this picture or adjusting the same rear shock you use for racing back up to ride with these paddles?

--
    X2 on low and wide. 51 is the max width from back in the day.I race both 200x and 250r both are a blast. Im trying to figure out lowering my 200x without using straps and in the back.
    250r rules

--
    Quote Originally Posted by atc300r View Post
    X2 on low and wide. 51 is the max width from back in the day.I race both 200x and 250r both are a blast. Im trying to figure out lowering my 200x without using straps and in the back.
    I once broke my 86x shock from bunny hopping off about a 7 foot pile of dirt, true. I cut a piece of 3/4x 1 inch oak and put it in place of the shock. It worked good enough to ride it a little. Thinking a piece of aluminum would be the same as a shock strapped down in the compressed position. Maybe run no shock for ft. I am going to call about getting my shock done for ft. I want to know how much cushion a ft shock has, i need some cushion besides my spine.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldy View Post
    Are you switching rear shocks for the regular riding in this picture or adjusting the same rear shock you use for racing back up to ride with these paddles?
    Surprisingly I run the same ride height. I think the rear is around 2 inches lower. The kart tires are so short that I don't need to lower it. I only lower the front. The front tire also raises the overall height.

You need some suspension because a lot of the TT tracks have a jump or 2. Some bigger some small but nothing huge.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //