//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: TecateDan and Fabio's joint 480R effort

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy expansion chamber. I see what you did there. Gonna line up on the inside lane and put the fear of god into the poor baystad sitting to the right of you. Sprinkle him in sweet two stroke oil....LOL
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Wow! Just make sure to wear an ear plug in your right ear!

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Everything is now hinging on a clutch hub that shipped late. It's the most important part we're waiting for and it's late. The bike was supposed to be assembled, running, and riding tomorrow but that's not going to happen now. We're going to do everything we can and then I'll take it home with me and install the hub one day after work next week. If everything falls into place this bike will be running. Everything has to fall into place very soon though.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Come on man!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	done.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	2.6 KB 
ID:	232612
    It sucks to get old

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    As of now this bike has fallen together and it will be in Indiana this year. I'm astonished by what it has become, it brings a tear to my eye. It's very easy to work on and there isn't a whole lot to it. This build I had more "hands-on" personally than the Tecate 500, probably closer to 50/50 this time, or even 60/40 in my favor. We did build it at Dan's and he did do some after hours work, but not nearly like he did with the 500. He built probably 80% of that bike himself, maybe better. This bike was essentially built in three days really. Two really long days and one shorter day. Dan and I are able to "divide and conquer" as well as come together on the parts that require more than one brain or two hands. At some points we're passing the welder back and forth and waiting in line for tools. It really hadn't sunk in leaving Dan's house what we had just accomplished, but on the ride home with the 480R in the back of the truck I was starting to realize what we had just done. I got it home and my buddy who has been spending a lot of time at my house helping me with the truck and trailer came by to see the 480. He was just blown away and he started wiping it down and waxing it. I was working odds and ends and installing the "480R" decals and we were able to just stand back and take it in. It's so much more than I had expected, I'm truly happy with how this bike has come out. There hasn't been one drop of paint sprayed on it, it's all raw. Raw metal, raw welds, necessity, ingenuity, and lack of time have all culminated in the form of this old Honda. It's raw, it's right off the build table, but it will show and run.

At the beginning of the build we had purchased an entire used kicker internal assembly. Shaft, springs, ratchet mechanism, everything. I bought it because at that time we were under the impression we'd be lengthening the kicker shaft in order for it to clear the frame. We had a change of plans and ended up welding two kicker bases together instead, so the spare parts went on the shelf. Last weekend was the first time we fired this pig up and it ran really well, however the kick starter went haywire and started flailing about like an out of control fire hose. We concluded that the internal mechanism was either faulty or improperly installed. Upon disassembly and inspection we couldn't see what the issue was, but we did have an entire spare kicker assembly on the shelf. I put that in and continued re-assembly. Almost at the same time Dan and I noticed an incorrect "repair" someone had done to the inner clutch hub. That's the part that your clutch spring bolts actually thread into. Someone had broken one of those elongated bosses off that the clutch springs go into and instead of replacing the hub they tapped the back side of the boss and screwed it in from the back of the hub. I was glad we had figured that out but nervous about if we had time to locate another hub and replace it. I found one on Ebay right then and there and ordered it sent out ASAP. Well the "new kid" at that particular Ebay store messed up on shipping my part not once, but twice, and our entire build was relying on that part. We were hoping to do final assembly yesterday with the new hub in place. Well that didn't happen, but we did use the bad hub for the time being just for some tuning and testing. I've been running it to do jetting and the usual things you need to go through, but the new hub should be at my house tomorrow.

My first impression when I rode this bike was "holy frickin fack". It has a lot more power than I had expected. I haven't gotten to wring it out yet, just get on it here and there. From what I've heard about the Honda 480, it is an explosion of mid-range hit with a very early sign-off, hence the recommendation to short-shift. I'll have to say, with the middle hit it has I can definitely do some damage. I'm curious about this "early sign-off" and I have to shake it down and see what that's all about, but it has a lot of potential. During certain resonant frequencies while decelerating and quick throttle blips it hurt my balls. It was slapping my balls enough to make me flinch. It's a pretty violent vibration.

At this point I have a few small things I'm touching up on. Gotta make a chain guide for the top of the swinger, get a kill switch on it, shite like that. Both brakes work and it seems to run well. I took the 188 main jet out today and replaced it with a 205 to see what she liked. The 205 was way too much, so I brought it down to a 190 and I'll keep working with it from there.

There are so many people who have come together for this bike, for this trip in general. I have so many friends and they've been so helpful. Obviously Dan and his wife, but there are so many more. I'll be thanking everyone on Facebook at some point soon. I've been working my tits off these last couple months. This is our busy season at work and my Trikefest prep must begin as soon as the weather changes. I got a good jump this year and here we are right down to the wire again, but it's not been from lack of effort. Every day I get home from work and jump right on my Trikefest stuff, whether it be the truck, the trailer, the generator, whatever. It's all coming together though and I couldn't be more pleased. Thank you all for reading.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 06-12-2016 at 08:34 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    It has different rear tires than what's pictured, I changed the 22's out for 20's today.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

averysdad is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Please post some videos!!

That is the coolest bike / build I have seen on this site in a while.

--
    There really isn't much to record around here at the moment. I'll be frigging up my grass pretty good doing some 1-2 shifts in the yard for the sake of jetting and tuning over the next four or five days, but I'll be at Haspin for Trikefest by Sunday or so. I'm sure the cameras will be rolling.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    FANTASTIC!!

Cannot wait to see it in person.

I foresee this machine as a top contender!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    looks sweet! Does the light work?
    It sucks to get old

--
    Love your "raw" builds you and Dan put together John! Looks great, and sounds flat mean!

I'm sure a bit of grinding on that cylinder can take care of that "early sign-off"..
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    We going to play a game of "Start my 480 you f'n p+$$y" this year?
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 86T3 View Post
    We going to play a game of "Start my 480 you f'n p+$$y" this year?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Greatest part of TF15! Joe, you let that little 120lb 14 kid start your 500 when your hulkulian ass couldn't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep on Triking!!!! "I am the NIGHT RIDER!!!"

RIP Ninja!

Feedback thread: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-for-thestud25

Trike Fest 2011, 2012 Vet!
    Founding member of the Haspin 6ft Bats Club!!

Trikes Currently Owned:
    87 Big Red 250es
    86 Kawasak KLT110. All documentation, bought from original owner.
    83 Honda 200s
    81 Honda Atc 70
    (4) Suzuki ALT 50's
    Yamaha YT 60

--
    I like how clean and smooth it all flows.

Look at that tank!! Awesome shape!!
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

--
    Quote Originally Posted by El Camexican View Post
    looks sweet! Does the light work?
    No but I have something for that.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //