//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: TecateDan and Fabio's joint 480R effort

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    Oh no shite! I thought they said triple elimination. The river decision stands as correct!
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 09-20-2017 at 12:21 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I'm sick of this beautiful bike sitting around looking good and doing nothing. I took it to Trikefest this year and it ran great, even on the year old gas from Trikefest 2016. It's a shame the bike doesn't get used more. The engine feels so strong and manageable, I'd really love to ride it in "regular" trim instead of drag trim. I just ordered a used CR480 factory head pipe, which will be my first step getting that to fit. I'll order a silencer once I see what I'm able to do with the pipe. I also would like to put a stock swing arm on it, although I don't have to, but I'd like to put the bike back to stock and see how it rides. If anyone happens to have an 84R swing arm for sale, please let me know.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 09-20-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    they said triple elimination.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

--
    Looks great fabio! I to would like to see this at trikefest next year

--
    The pipe arrived yesterday and today I got to cutting. At first it almost looked like it wasn't going to take much work to get the CR pipe in the ATC chassis.

After I started working with it a little bit, it was clear this was going to take some work. I started by cutting the pipe for my first bend and left a hinge. After that it was clear that I was going to need to a lot more cutting, so cut I did.

The CR480 cylinder head has very small fins on the left side for the pipe to clear on the dirt bike. Thankfully the ATC has the exhaust on the correct side to utilize the clearance provided by the factory on the CR head, however I had to take the small fins right off to get more room for the pipe.

I was able to mock up the meat of the expansion chamber using a floor jack and some rags to hold it in place. The tolerances are going to be extremely tight, so at least two strong mounts are going to be an absolute necessity for the expansion chamber alone. However, the pipe does look like it belongs there at this point.

Thanks for looking.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    I ended up using the cr480 head pipe and joined it to a 250 pipe on my build. It works pretty well for what it is

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

--

TecateDan and Fabio's joint 480R effort

Dude I like that a lot. I wish I had another expansion chamber lying around. I just ordered an FMF turbine core (not turbine core II) muffler with a spark arrestor. I'd love to keep this thing as quiet as possible and have a spark arrestor as well as being forestry approved. Hopefully it's quiet. I'm going to wrap the head pipe as well.

I'm trying to think of a fairly cheap thin wall tubing I can procure to make up the rest of the exhaust to join the expansion chamber and the silencer. I was going to peruse the hardware store but I'm not faithful I'll find anything. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 09-29-2017 at 12:56 AM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Maybe something on this site?

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/fab-parts/exhaust-fabrication-parts.html?dir=asc&order=price

http://www.coneeng.com/pdf/Header%20...ends%20PDF.pdf

I have a 3 foot slip roll you are also welcome to use if you want to. I can't even tell you last time I used it so feel free to keep on loan until you get your exhaust built
    Last edited by sledcrazyinCT; 09-29-2017 at 01:05 PM.

--
    That looks really good John, i wouldn't have thought someone could cut a pipe and make it come together so nicely. I think your best bet would be to ask around locally for crushed pipes that you can salvage stuff off of. Maybe you have some 2 stroke friends nearby that crash a lot?
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Thank you my friends and thanks for the laugh Joe, lol! I found a piece here I can mess with once the silencer arrives but I won't know until then if it will work. If it doesn't that site looks perfect, so thank you.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --

You can also check the electrical conduit section at the hardware store and you can also use copper tubing from the plumbing department if you have the right rod and gas torches.

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    Yep, electrical conduit is great, but the best place for cheap thin walled tube is under bridges where homeless people abandon shopping carts.

--
    If you want a slick finish, use SpeedyMetals and get the exact size cold or hot rolled tubing. OD, ID, Gauge etc etc....
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

barnett468 is offline FACT ! I have no edit button Arm chair racerThe day begins with 3WW
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    I'm going to wrap the head pipe as well.
    Just in case you didn't know, the two wraps below are by far the best and most durable but may be overkill for your app. They both have lava rock in them.

https://www.designengineering.com/ca...-lr-technology

http://www.thermotec.com/products/ca...ting-wrap.html

PREVIOUS KAWASAKI INTERNATIONAL R & D PROJECT ENGINEER AND ATV DEPARTMENT SUPERVISOR AND THE ONLY PERSON ON 3WW WITHOUT AN EDIT BUTTON OR A STAR

--
    I actually have an old roll of eBay's cheapest offering on the shelf already, but thanks. I'd certainly try the stuff you're suggesting if I had to buy some.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //