//ArrowChat Code
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: TecateDan and Fabio's joint 480R effort

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --
    I wasn't planning on buying knock off jets, never would. I wonder if the jets I was looking at were knock off or not now that you mention it.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    It looks good Fabio! Just wanted to throw in that the 83 swingarm will fit right in but the upper shock mount/rear engine mount, both linkage pieces and the 83 shock are all different.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

--
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    I wasn't planning on buying knock off jets, never would. I wonder if the jets I was looking at were knock off or not now that you mention it.
    Were you on the JetsRUs site? They sell both and the knockoff jets are about 30% cheaper. In theory it's just a holes in a piece of brass, but when drill bits get worn holes get bigger and rougher. I stick with original jets simply for the threads, some of the knockoffs seem to thread in a little harder and the last thing one needs is a broken pilot jet in a $250 carb. I'd feel feel pretty stupid having saved $2.50 on a jet if that happened.

Genuine Keihin jets have their logo on the mains and pilots, the knockoffs don't. All I can tell you about Mikuni jets is that the font they use looks top shelf and any knockoffs I've seen have much less refined. You can tell them apart pretty easily when you have both in hand.

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the Mikuni jets seem to thread in a lot harder than the Keihin's the first time. I've had a few Mikuni pilots that had to be worked in very carefully the first time, almost never had that come up on the Keihin jets.

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

TecateDan and Fabio's joint 480R effort

I took the 480 out two days ago for its first real ride in the woods. There's a small place up the street from me I never bother going to but I'd been seeing a lot kids riding out there lately and I wanted to run the 480 to see what rattled off.

The bike ran great and jetting is actually pretty close. I do get a little pre-ignition on deceleration and some typical air cooled pinging, but I'd like to see if I can smooth that out with jetting. I'm not sure what it would require or how feasible it is but my 81 300R was the first air cooled bike I ever rode that didn't knock, ping, or ring-ding. I'd like to try and replicate that. I'm guessing more idle or pilot fuel? It idles great so I'd like to keep it that way.

The front engine mount had been vibrating violently and wore itself out a little bit, so I had to add a washer. When I put the bolt through, I filled all the spacers and frame with Motorcraft 7.3 oil pan sealant, which is an RTV with an abnormally high adhesive rate. It's strong stuff, and I think it will help dampen things.

I need to find a flywheel weight and I've come up with nothing yet from searches. If anyone can help me out in that regard I'd be grateful.

I need to make chain guards for the swing arm. Honestly I had no idea what this noise was while I was riding but as it turns out the chain was hitting both sides of the swing arm.

I found some whoops after riding for about 20 minutes and grabbed some throttle into third and fourth gears to really on things and see what breaks. It is a home made swing arm after all. I was moving along at a rather good clip over the entire section, then I turned around and went right back. At the end of it the shock was no longer damping and I assumed I'd blown it.

As it turns out, the banjo bolt on the shock reservoir vibrated out and it puked oil everywhere. Honestly I've never had to have a shock rebuilt or anything, so I just don't know. Do I have to get this thing charged or filled now or something along those lines? Obviously it takes nitrogen, and obviously the seal has been broken so...

It's definitely going to need a head stay and I'm pretty good at starting it now, but I'm going to add a compression release.

Thanks for looking.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    For info on the flywheel try contacting Steahly. If they can't help call Falicon Crankshaft in FL. It's possible they've done this for someone in the past or can tell you can who can do it.

I need to make a couple chain guides. There's two types of plastic that I know of to use, but can't remember the industrial names. Swinwhart would know. I think the one they use to make cutting boards is the strongest, but it's so hard that it's almost as loud as steel when the chain slaps it.

Are you sure what sounds like detonation on deceleration isn't that chain? If not the pilot jet and air screw are what I'd try adjusting to be richer. For whatever reason when things get to be larger than 250cc in a two-stroke jetting seems to become very difficult to tune regardless of the brand.

Can't help you on the shock. Knew a guy but...
    Last edited by El Camexican; 10-15-2017 at 06:24 PM.

--
    Looking at your set up again, I wonder if you could put a slot through the tube and run a plastic wheel on a bolt through the center of the tube as a combination of chain guide and chain roller? The only downside I can think of other than slightly weakening the assembly is that you would have to make sure you had a drain hole at the lowest point of that tube because you'd get a lot of water in there.

Not sure if what I said makes sense so think plastic pizza cutter and you'll know what I mean.

You could also weld vertical flat bars on each side of the swingarm and mount standard chain rollers in between them, but you'd have to extend the flat bars High enough that the chain could never slip off the roller, or it would make a heck of a mess.

--
    Just putting it out there, if u want to make some sort of clamp on or two piece bracket to hold a chain guard/wheel in place out of playdough or preferably "wood" to pour/ and make it out of aluminum it would be an option.
    Nice bike by the way.

Shep
    Last edited by Shep1970; 10-16-2017 at 02:04 PM.

--
    Hi John, just wondering: Did you help with all the swingarm tubing? Was it Chr-Mo - or is it just a type of steel tubing or NPT pipe used that you could MIG or TIG?

Is that all TIG welded??

Just curious because the jig is still all set up and a few guys asked me if I could make them fit. This will make things even easier.......
    All our government does is distract us while they steal from us, misspend our tax $ and ruin our country

HondaRidr is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    The bike ran great and jetting is actually pretty close. I do get a little pre-ignition on deceleration and some typical air cooled pinging, but I'd like to see if I can smooth that out with jetting. I'm not sure what it would require or how feasible it is but my 81 300R was the first air cooled bike I ever rode that didn't knock, ping, or ring-ding. I'd like to try and replicate that. I'm guessing more idle or pilot fuel? It idles great so I'd like to keep it that way.

What carb do you have on it? I read about a guy having an issue with his stock carb on his cr480. He put a tube over the pilot jet to extend its reach down into the fuel bowl so it wouldn't run dry after holding the throttle open and then cutting the throttle. Might be worth a try

--

At the moment I have the 650 in pieces, my neighbor's 87 SX apart, and the 480 apart as well. Also both of my pickups are down as well as the Zinger and Buell. We're in it knee deep ovah heyah.

I just got back from the post office where I sent the 480 cylinder head out to Adam Millar for the installation of a compression release. The 480R still needs the shock worked on, forks rebuilt, swing arm swapped out, and quite a few other things. One thing I'm debating on doing is making another head pipe using an 83-84 ATC250R pipe, so if anyone reading this has access to a pipe that they might let go for cheap, please let me know. My cobbled 480 pipe does work, but it is crammed in there tight. It was hitting the bottom of the gas tank, so I'm debating on denting the under side of the tank in. I might build a better pipe though, we'll see. I also have to build a head stay.

My concern right now is the 39mm Keihin PWK I bought. The price seemed very fair on Ebay, and I didn't realize until the other day why. The used carb I ordered is missing the choke assembly. I've had the carb here at the house for weeks and somehow overlooked this fact. I looked back at the listing because I was a bit bent out of shape about this when I first realized it, but in the listing the pictures show it with no choke and the description says "see pictures". The seller definitely did not advertise the fact that the choke was missing, and ultimately it was my fault for not seeing it. Kinda sucks but it is what it is.

Because of this, I now need to procure a choke for a 39mm PWK, and I have no idea how to do that. A quick search on Ebay netted no results. I'm not opposed to buying the parts new, but I don't know where I could buy just a choke for a PWK carb.

So if you have a choke that can help me out, or if you have a pipe you don't need for an 83-84 R, please let me know.

Last edited by fabiodriven; 04-10-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    JetsRus will have them
    It sucks to get old

--
    Or call SUDCO in a pinch

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--

Thanks for that guys. I was assuming Jets R Us might have something like that but I wasn't sure. I went ahead and ordered all my jets while I was on there. The PWK I bought came with a 52 pilot and 175 main. Based on some quick research, I ordered pilots 42, 45, 48, and 50, as well as mains from 162 to 182, all original Keihin jets.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 04-10-2018 at 11:07 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    How much is that compression release running ya? Been thinking about that alot lately. I also found out that the crf450/04-06 trx450r kicker shares the same splines. The trx kicker would fit real good if it was spaced out from the bike a bit. I borrowed one from a friend to check it out. In the pictures it was sitting on the very end of the kicker shaft.

--
    I must say that when this thread mentioned "joint effort" I pictured something completely different

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //