//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TecateDan and Fabio's joint 480R effort

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

TecateDan and Fabio's joint 480R effort

I bought someone else's unfinished project from Ohio. It's an 84 ATC 250R with an 82 CR480 engine. This was the original build thread from who I can only assume was the person I bought the project from. http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...highlight=480r

For those not familiar with the CR480 engine, it is a four speed in 81 and 82 trim, with the 83 engine being a five speed. They are all left side kick start with the counter shaft on the right side. The right side counter shaft makes the first and second gen 250R's a good choice as a home for this engine as they are right side drive as well. This engine is 55hp from the factory which is good, I can have fun with that, however it is not going to be enough. I bought this trike over the winter with the greatly appreciated help of Kiser, who was my boots on the ground. He drove quite a ways to go look at this bike for me and yay or neigh it. If it weren't for him this may not be happening right now. Also big thanks to Specht for storing it. My sister and her husband were able to pick it up from Kiser and Specht on their way up from Arkansas, so I just had to drive 45 minutes away to pick it up. The original plan was to have it ready for Trikefest. I was going to build it all myself. Then I got wrapped up in my Mustang which consumed gobs of my spare time until work picked up for the season and there was no hope for this bike this year. I jokingly asked Dan if he felt like building it and much to my surprise he said sure! I was only kidding when I asked! So I picked it up a few weeks ago and dropped it off to Dan. When we went through everything it was a bit disheartening at first. It literally needed everything aside from the engine. The engine appears to have been completely rebuilt and every gasket is brand new as well as the top end. It doesn't even look like it's been fired. The bike needed literally everything else. Very little progress had been made, next to nothing really, as far as engine fitment and mounting. The 480 pipe is useless, the ATC pipe is useless, and all braking and control systems need to be made pretty much beginning to end. Ironically enough the drag pipe from the Tecate 500 fits this 480R like a glove! I was tempted to use that pipe on this project, however having read up on the 480 I found that they do not respond well to pipe alterations and everything I read says nothing is better than the factory pipe on that engine. So we have a trick coming possibly. I don't want to say much yet because time is of the essence and sometimes things happen, sometimes they don't. If this happens 55hp will be a number we can all get out of our heads and then some.

The build is happening at Dan's house and once again he's taken the bull by the horns. He's able to go out there after work on weeknights on his own and has made a lot of progress on this by himself. I spent the day there today and we killed it. We got a lot done today. Up to this point it's been mostly motor mount work and building the main rear mount that both mounts the back of the engine and the top of the rear shock. It's the one the swing arm bolt goes through. Basically a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding thus far. The kick starter needs to be extended out in order to clear the frame. In order to accomplish this we will be welding two kicker bases together. I got the idea from some kid on Facebook.
    Last edited by fabiodriven; 05-07-2016 at 10:03 PM.
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

fabiodriven is offline Aspiring romance novel cover model, and the Official 3WW slayer of thieves and swindlers. Catch me if you can
    --

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

kiser is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Looking great Fabio! That bike deserved to be finished and I hope it makes TF this year! Good luck and keep us posted.

Watford city, North Dakota United States "THE BAKKEN" / Lebanon, Oregon United states.
    --
    Subscribed.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Saying "it's the trikes fault" is like saying "guns kill people"
    don't poke the bear... you'll get banned

--
    I remember the kids build from foolers.com. That swinger sure is slick!
    82 250r
    83 Big Red
    85 Auto-x
    If you've done business with me please leave me feedback
    http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ght=Bren_downe

--
    Sweet. You just dont see enough 480 conversions out there.
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...k-for-ATC-Eric

Survivor! TF: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13 Sandpuppies: 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 16, 17, 18 Imperial Invasion 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20

Everything Big Bore on FaceBook

--
    Didn't someone do a 480 ice racer some time ago if I recall?

Seems like you guys are well in ypu way with this project! Gonna follow closely

nicker71 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    That swingarm is wild!! Looking forward to this build, very nice work!

Billy Golightly is offline Always finding new and exciting ways to not give a hoot in hell Catch me if you can
    --
    Blog Entries
    Looking forward to seeing this one at TF. That swingarm is pretty rad looking!

--
    Dans got some mad fab skills and the welds are looking good. Where in hades did you get that swingarm?
    Last edited by yaegerb; 05-08-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    There's a guy in NY with a 480R that he raced at Icefest when I was there in 2011. His name is eluding me right now, he used to post more back in the day.

The swing arm came with the bike and I have no idea who made it but yes, it does look great!

Dan does have some mad skills doesn't he? He also has a bit more time to use on this than I do. Dan does weld but I prefer to do as much of the welding as possible. All those beads yesterday are mine.

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--

TecateDan and Fabio's joint 480R effort

I have to rebuild a generator as well as getting a truck and massive trailer together which is far less glorious but every bit as important as this!

85 Tri-Zinger 60
    85 ATC250SX
    86 ATC250SX
    87 ATC250SX
    02 XR650L conversion
    84 ATC 480R

--
    Cool to see you and Dan building again! Nice work thus far

Back about 15 years ago, my little brother had an '83 CR480 and I had an '89 CR500. That 480 was nothing to scoff at, not by a damn sight. Only thing was I never got so I could kick it with my left foot, had to stand along the left side of the bike and kick with my right. LOL!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

rayatc84 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Great to see another 480R build.
    I'm working on the same project, but unfortunately I haven't got enough time to work on mine: motor mounts and kick extension are built and if everything goes well, I hope to have the exhaust pipe done in a couple of months.
    Outside of engines with holes that stink, there is no salvation...

My feedback thread: here!
    Want to see overseas 3wheelers? http://www.passion-atc.com of course!

YT60 Tri-Zinger, YT70 Tri-Zinger modified, '84 ATC 70, '82 ATC 110, '82 250R, '82 250R modified, '84 250R, '84 480R in build, '85 310R, '86 250R, '87 250ES BigRed, '84 FL250 Odyssey, '85 FL350 Odyssey

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //