//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 200x Build-Up

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 250ES5984 View Post
    I think I may go ahead and get the piston before I take the trike to the mechanic. The motor, from what I can tell and have been told, has a stock bore.

Shortly after my first post, I received a set of repop tank shrouds and a new to me light and engine shut off switch from tx200m.

Then, last Friday, I picked up my freshly powdercoated parts from Windsor Iron and Powder Coat in Cullman, AL.

I had told the owner that I wanted satin black on all of it, but soon after I left, I remembered that I had wanted gloss black on the skid and kicker and gloss white on the hubs. I'll probably fix that later down the road, as paint isn't that big of a deal yet.

I still have to find a performance header and silencer.

Another thing, what is the best way and the easiest way to cut down the vibration in the bars? Anywhere that I can ride around here I have to go down highway, and the vibration is getting unbearable.

Thanks in advance, Chandler.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

Don't buy a piston until you mic the bore. You are putting the cart before the horse. If I were you I would pull the jug and send it to John Tice. He will set you up correctly.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

250ES5984 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    Don't buy a piston until you mic the bore. You are putting the cart before the horse. If I were you I would pull the jug and send it to John Tice. He will set you up correctly.
    That may be my best bet. My only problem is, I'm really good at tearing thins down. Not so great at putting them back together right. Of course, I'm sure I could get some folks on here to walk me through it if need be

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    Yes you will get help.

Buying a piston without knowing for sure what size you need is not a good idea. With a 30 year old machine, it's anyone's guess as to what size the bore is regardless of what someone says it is. Most pistons will be marked as to what size they are. Standard pistons will have either no markings or in the case of most aftermarket pistons will be marked "STD". Overbore pistons will be marked in thousandths or mm over. All you should need to do is pull the head and clean the top of your current piston enough to see how it's marked. Once you do, order a new piston the next size larger.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    Yes you will get help.

Buying a piston without knowing for sure what size you need is not a good idea. With a 30 year old machine, it's anyone's guess as to what size the bore is regardless of what someone says it is. Most pistons will be marked as to what size they are. Standard pistons will have either no markings or in the case of most aftermarket pistons will be marked "STD". Overbore pistons will be marked in thousandths or mm over. All you should need to do is pull the head and clean the top of your current piston enough to see how it's marked. Once you do, order a new piston the next size larger.
    Okay, would it be easier for me to pull the motor completely out? I think I may end up getting the frame powdered when all of this does happen. Just a thought though, as I don't know if I can take it all apart, then put it back together. Lol

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    Okay, would it be easier for me to pull the motor completely out? I think I may end up getting the frame powdered when all of this does happen. Just a thought though, as I don't know if I can take it all apart, then put it back together. Lol

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE
    Yes, pull the motor, set it on a bench and then take the head and cylinder off. Ship cylinder to john tice and he will send you back a bored cylinder with a new piston/circlips/rings.

--
    Yes, pull the motor, set it on a bench and then take the head and cylinder off. Ship cylinder to john tice and he will send you back a bored cylinder with a new piston/circlips/rings.
    Okay. Definitely gonna need some help when it comes to the timing chain and what not. It'll be a month or so before I can get started on it.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    in my sg is a link to download factory repair manuals. download it and read it over and over till you get it. you should know what to do before you even start.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    John Tice does incredible work!!!! and very reasonable too! have him do your Wiseco piston upgrade.

do NOT powder coat the frame till everything else is done. that should be one of the last things you do. you have to install parts and test fit stuff (you will nick and scratch it if you do). I also recommend you have a shop gusset the frame for you. it will re-enforce the tubing connection points so they do not crack and brake on you. bot pretty when that happens..

biggest thing, TAKE YOUR TIME!!! my 350X build was in the planning stages for 7 months before I even turned 1 wrench on it. take your time, research and spec things out.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    John Tice does incredible work!!!! and very reasonable too! have him do your Wiseco piston upgrade.

do NOT powder coat the frame till everything else is done. that should be one of the last things you do. you have to install parts and test fit stuff (you will nick and scratch it if you do). I also recommend you have a shop gusset the frame for you. it will re-enforce the tubing connection points so they do not crack and brake on you. bot pretty when that happens..

biggest thing, TAKE YOUR TIME!!! my 350X build was in the planning stages for 7 months before I even turned 1 wrench on it. take your time, research and spec things out.
    I have already got a repair manual and plan on using it as much as possible, but I know that there are some things that are stubborn and some folks know tricks.

I'm seriously thinking about sending it to John. I've looked up and seen a lot of his work and it's pretty impressive. So, I could just send him my cylinder, and he could get me the right piston kit?

I'm thinking that I may need a valve job done as well, and that will be a little more $$. I don't know how much valves and springs are. Would he do that also? I guess I could just start asking him questions....

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    I have already got a repair manual and plan on using it as much as possible, but I know that there are some things that are stubborn and some folks know tricks.

I'm seriously thinking about sending it to John. I've looked up and seen a lot of his work and it's pretty impressive. So, I could just send him my cylinder, and he could get me the right piston kit?

I'm thinking that I may need a valve job done as well, and that will be a little more $$. I don't know how much valves and springs are. Would he do that also? I guess I could just start asking him questions....

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE
    If you want to send me the head, I can put new valves and seals in it. PM if interested.

--
    If you want to send me the head, I can put new valves and seals in it. PM if interested.
    PM sent.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    Timing just about any Honda engine is a piece of cake once you know the procedure, which is pretty simple really.

Good idea to do a complete valve job along with the fresh bore and piston. A new piston and cylinder bore running back up at new condition compression can and often does expose or accentuate shortcomings with valves, seats, and valve seals that have alot of run time on them. Sounds like you are on the right track for doing this job right the first time, and I think you will be well pleased with it when done.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    Timing just about any Honda engine is a piece of cake once you know the procedure, which is pretty simple really.

Good idea to do a complete valve job along with the fresh bore and piston. A new piston and cylinder bore running back up at new condition compression can and often does expose or accentuate shortcomings with valves, seats, and valve seals that have alot of run time on them. Sounds like you are on the right track for doing this job right the first time, and I think you will be well pleased with it when done.
    Thanks. I really do want to do it right the first time so that there won't be any problems from then on. Of course, if I get the motor running good, then will come the carb work. I know a little about them, but I don't know some things that would be some of the bigger factors such as intake size, jetting, and the difference between round and flat slide carbs. I've looked but can't seem to find a thread displaying what different things do for your bike. Maybe I just haven't looked hard enough.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    I wish I could help you in the carb department as to a recommendation, but frankly I'm just not well versed on what carb is a good upgrade for the 200x be it 1st gen or 2nd. I know DC has been playing with an FCR on his highly modded 2nd gen 200x with mixed results.. He has had to work at it to get it where it needs to be..

If you had a 3rd gen R on the other hand....

A nice 2nd gen X is still on my wish list...It's the glaring hole in my stable and is the last trike I want to add to it.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

--
    I like the satin on the skid and kicker. I did gloss on mine and it does look rattlecan-ish

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //