//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 1986 200x Build-Up

250ES5984 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Gonna be gone for a week, then the teardown begins. Not gonna lie, I'm really nervous. I've never messed with motors before.

Luckily, I found an actual shop manual online, and it will be here when I get back.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE
    Last edited by 250ES5984; 06-02-2016 at 01:28 AM.

--
    You do not need a flat slide carb on your 200x unless your racing it a lot. If your doing a Wiseco 10.25:1 piston and a aftermarket exhaust then just get a 28mm mikuni carb and be done with it. Can get them in eBay for under $80 shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    [QUOTE=oscarmayer;1416527]You do not need a flat slide carb on your 200x unless your racing it a lot. If your doing a Wiseco 10.25:1 piston and a aftermarket exhaust then just get a 28mm mikuni carb and be done with it. Can get them in eBay for under $80 shipped.

Thanks. So, the Mikunis are just as good as the stock Keihn carbs? I haven't been able to find an aftermarket exhaust other than a new DG/RCM. would there be any point in getting one, or would I do better if I just wait?

What are the racing advantages to the slides vs. rounds? No, I don't plan on racing it, although I'd actually like to. There's nowhere around here that has had or do have trike races. May be able to get access to a track though.....

--
    oh yea, and there are a ton of jet kits available for jetting them too. less expensive as well.

slides are more instant response over round, so you get a faster throttle response, but they are harder to tune than the round.
    I would keep scouring eBay for a super trap or bassoni pipe, fmf, ETC. even if you pay $200-$250 for a good system it is a deal. you can always blast and repaint it even if rusty so that is no biggie.

stick with the mikuni stuff for the carb, you will be fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/28mm-Mikuni-...FUm9xZ&vxp=mtr

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Where did you find the reproduction tank shrouds??

Quote Originally Posted by 250ES5984 View Post
    I think I may go ahead and get the piston before I take the trike to the mechanic. The motor, from what I can tell and have been told, has a stock bore.

Shortly after my first post, I received a set of repop tank shrouds and a new to me light and engine shut off switch from tx200m.

Then, last Friday, I picked up my freshly powdercoated parts from Windsor Iron and Powder Coat in Cullman, AL.

I had told the owner that I wanted satin black on all of it, but soon after I left, I remembered that I had wanted gloss black on the skid and kicker and gloss white on the hubs. I'll probably fix that later down the road, as paint isn't that big of a deal yet.

I still have to find a performance header and silencer.

Another thing, what is the best way and the easiest way to cut down the vibration in the bars? Anywhere that I can ride around here I have to go down highway, and the vibration is getting unbearable.

Thanks in advance, Chandler.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83_200e_rider View Post
    Where did you find the reproduction tank shrouds??
    I bought them from tx200m on here. Not real sure where he bought them. There was another member on here that had some. Let me find is username.

His UN is atc007. There's a thread in Trikesylvania called 86 200x tank fins, or something to that nature. He said that he had them in stock for $120.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE
    Last edited by 250ES5984; 06-09-2016 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Info found

--
    So, I'm back, and broke at the moment. Can't even scrounge up enough money for the Cobra pipe I found on eBay.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/1986-Honda-ATC...%257Ciid%253A1

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do as far as the rebuild goes. I've found another bike and atv shop here pretty close and plan to call them tomorrow.

I really would love to do it myself, but I'm afraid that if I do, I'd end up leaving something out or re-assembling something wrong.

Plus, I'd like to get the bottom end scoped out to see if the vibration problem is coming from the bottom end. I would like to also have the crank bearings checked just in case.

I'm thinking that if I can get this one rebuilt and fixed that I may try to rebuild my 250sx myself. Have a buddy that has a good bottom end that I can buy from him pretty cheap. Thinking that I could take my top end and put on his bottom end and make 1 good out of 2 bads, considering that his had a screwed up top end. Just throwing around ideas though, as I don't have the money.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    I wouldn't be worrying about a pipe. You may have bigger problems with that vibration. Get it running solid first before you spend money on "upgrades". Depending on what's going wrong with the motor, you may be looking at 5-800 bucks not including labor. Start saving.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yaegerb View Post
    I wouldn't be worrying about a pipe. You may have bigger problems with that vibration. Get it running solid first before you spend money on "upgrades". Depending on what's going wrong with the motor, you may be looking at 5-800 bucks not including labor. Start saving.
    That's what I was thinking. The only thing I was worrying about was if and when I will come across another pipe.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    Make sure it's a good reputable shop that is trustworthy. Too many fly-by-night shops out there that let ham-fisted hacks turn wrenches on customers' machines and do a crap job at it. Last thing you need is your 2nd gen 200x mill getting screwed over because of someone else's lack of caring about doing a good job.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDE-RED 250r View Post
    Make sure it's a good reputable shop that is trustworthy. Too many fly-by-night shops out there that let ham-fisted hacks turn wrenches on customers' machines and do a crap job at it. Last thing you need is your 2nd gen 200x mill getting screwed over because of someone else's lack of caring about doing a good job.
    You're exactly right. That's what I'm checking on.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    Can you tell me any more about the powdercoater? Looks like decent work, good prices? Turnaround time? There is no one nearby that does it anymore...
    Suicide Hill Survivor

The rides:
    1981 ATC110
    1982 ATC185
    1983 ATC185s
    1984 ATC200es
    1985 ATC200x

When the going gets tough, the tough get sideways

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ATC185 View Post
    Can you tell me any more about the powdercoater? Looks like decent work, good prices? Turnaround time? There is no one nearby that does it anymore...
    $80 for everything that was coated. His turnaround is great! He had my stuff finished the next evening. When I got up there, his shop was full, so I'm gonna guess he's pretty quick. There's a guy in Muscle Shoals that I talked to recently, but his prices were outrageous.

Apparently flyingw on here does it, or did it, as well. I had meant to check in with him as well but never got around to it. May be something to look into.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    After almost a year, I've finally got enough money saved up to get this project going. Trike is going to a mechanic today for teardown. He's going to mic the bore and let me know what size piston to get or order it himself, which is up to me.

Decided to go with a 10.25.1 Wiseco. Don't know about the bottom end as of yet.

Haven't talked to yaegerb in a while, still may get him to do the valve job if he has time, but don't know yet.

Got the Cobra exhaust. Not exactly what I wanted to use at first, but it's what I have for noe.

Updated as they come.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    Bore turned out to be stock.

Just placed an order for the Pro-X 65.25 kit from Ebay, along with an All Balls carb rebuild kit, and Barnett Dirt Digger HD clutch kit.

Did a little reading and it seemed the the Pro-X kit were decent, and made in Japan. Any downfalls or problems from these?

I've heard good things from others about Shindy carb rebuild kits, but has anyone used the All Balls? Looks like they come with some extra o-rings that the shindy kits didn't come with.

The Barnett clutch kit seemed to be the beast way to go as far as a rebuild kit. Any problems from them?

Thanks, Chandler.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //