//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1986 200x Build-Up

250ES5984 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --

1986 200x Build-Up

I had posted in input thread before, just specifically for before I followed through with the buy, but now I feel the need to start a build thread.

I purchase a 1986 Honda 200x from a guy in Tuscaloosa that said he needed to get rid of it. When I talked to him, he said he had gotten it in a box. It had had a bent exhaust valve and had jumped time, so he put new valves, timing chain, and timing chains gear in it. That's all he said that he did. He had mentioned that it smoked when it got hot, so I figured it was gonna need a top end overhaul anyway.

When I got to his house, he mentioned that the kicker was messed up when he got it, so he done some "custom welding." Needless to say I needed a new kicker.

I rode it around, and it smoked. Endlessly. I figured that was okay too since I was getting it at a decent price.

I pulled out of his yard with a 200x worth, I think, more than 1000.

I'm getting the engine rebuilt by Dales Cycle Shop in Iuka, Ms. I have a choice on some different pistons, and specifically don't want the compression of a Wiseco. He gave the option of a Shindy kit, with a .06 over bore, that he already has in stock. Any more or better ideas for kits would be appreciated as I will not be able to get him to rebuild it until later in June.

Thanks to pistolpete88, or Pete Thompson, I grabbed a set of good hubs, swinger skid, and "new" kicker.

Off to the powdercoater as I type.

I plan to make this one my own, and may steal some other ideas along the way. 😉😉

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    ....any opinions on at least the piston?

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    I would get the wiseco 10.25:1 piston. the increase in compression would go from 9.2:1 to 10.25:1. that would be about 1-2hp difference. if done correctly with support mods, you can hit 4-5hp. this would include upgrade to 28mm carb (mikunis are great), performance good quality exhaust (Supertrap, Bassoni, ETC. DG sucks.....), performance intake filter with either no lid on the airbox, or holes drilled.
    just so you know, none of this is rocket science. this is a minimum I always do to 200X's I come across and work on and this is standard for most riders.
    you will also want to put in a heavy duty clutch and spring set for longer lasting clutch.

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    I would get the wiseco 10.25:1 piston. the increase in compression would go from 9.2:1 to 10.25:1. that would be about 1-2hp difference. if done correctly with support mods, you can hit 4-5hp. this would include upgrade to 28mm carb (mikunis are great), performance good quality exhaust (Supertrap, Bassoni, ETC. DG sucks.....), performance intake filter with either no lid on the airbox, or holes drilled.
    just so you know, none of this is rocket science. this is a minimum I always do to 200X's I come across and work on and this is standard for most riders.
    you will also want to put in a heavy duty clutch and spring set for longer lasting clutch.
    Where do you think I could find a better exhaust than a dg? I've looked around and on ebay and can't seem to find anything other than dg. and what is the bore size for a 10:25:1 piston? I cant seem to find a wiseco kit with that compression.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE
    Last edited by 250ES5984; 05-19-2016 at 12:44 PM.

--
    ebay. take your time. may take you a month or 2, but you can get one.
    also post in the classifieds you want a performance header for the 86/87 200x. then you can always get the muffler later. you can also o to a performance shop and have them modify a J-bend to fit and help build you a custom head pipe. if you take a decent muffler ( bassoni, supertrap, even stock CRF250r), with you they can install it on the trike as well. you want to go no more than 1/4" diameter larger than stock ID or you ill start to hurt performance unless building a stroked rad setup then 1/2" max.

--
    Does the piston have to be 200x specific or will one from any 200cc honda work?

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    It needs to be 86-87 200x or 86-88 trx200sx
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmoozy27 View Post
    It needs to be 86-87 200x or 86-88 trx200sx
    Thanks. Do you know what the year differences are in the aftermarket pistons?

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    Also, I would strongly advise AGAINST jumping right to a .060" overbore! I would tear the engine down and measure to see what bore it is on now and only bore to the next size. Overboring is not a mod done for performance really, it's main purpose is to restore a cylinder to specs for taper, bore (piston/cyl clearance), and out of round. Boring more than one step is un-necessary and IMHO foolhardy, especially in the case of a 2nd gen 200x where good used parts are less abundant. Yes you can re-sleeve, but why saddle yourself with the extra cost of a sleeve and the shop labor to install it sooner than is necessary.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the Wiseco 10.25:1 piston. I would just stay away from the 12:1 unless you want to run race fuel. Wiseco pistons are good quality and given a choice between those and some ebay chinese knock-off, I would go Wiseco every time.

You might want to contact Mickey Dunlap at 4-Stroke Tech. http://www.fourstroketech.net/#!__pr...%27-87%27-200x

While he only lists an 11:1 piston for a 2nd gen 200x, he may be able to offer some help for other alternatives.

That's a nice looking 2nd gen! And given the overall condition of it, I think you are right about what it's worth...At least in my area.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by 250ES5984 View Post
    Thanks. Do you know what the year differences are in the aftermarket pistons?

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE
    dome chamber design. Wiseco sells the piston. they cut their domes to fit both chamber designs so they work on both years. their site tells you they fit 83-87

you will want to get the next larger sized piston so have the stock measured to see if it had been replaced before. if not the next size would be a 65.5mm (stock is 65mm), or even a 66mm. don't go for the 12:1 as your putting around not racing and will probably not want to do all the head work needed to run that piston correctly.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    dome chamber design. Wiseco sells the piston. they cut their domes to fit both chamber designs so they work on both years. their site tells you they fit 83-87

you will want to get the next larger sized piston so have the stock measured to see if it had been replaced before. if not the next size would be a 65.5mm (stock is 65mm), or even a 66mm. don't go for the 12:1 as your putting around not racing and will probably not want to do all the head work needed to run that piston correctly.
    Yea, I definitely don't want the 12:1. The guy that I am getting to do it was going to do a 66.5mm bore with a Shindy flat top piston.

Now Im leaning toward a Wiseco, I just ain't very excited about the cost. Lol

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

--
    OK a couple things: I don't know about Shindy pistons, but I have used Shindy valves based on some advice I received here. I was told they are Japanese made (which is a good thing as opposed to Chinese) and that the quality is there. I was pleased with them and would use them again in the absence of OEM parts availability. Based on that, I would suspect their piston quality is good as well and I would give them a try if the circumstances pointed me in that direction.

Next: Why is the shop guy pushing you toward a 66.5 bore? Is this based on pulling the top end and measuring what it currently is and determining the 66.5 to be the next size over what it is now? Or is he wanting to do that because that's what is on his shelf??

If you haven't yet pulled the top end to figure out what bore it is currently on, I would not make any decision on the overbore size until you do. And it goes without saying, for the bore job to be correct, it must be done with the new piston on hand to match the bore to. You can't simply look at stock cylinder dimension specs and go "X" over that and expect it to be right. The piston must be on hand and measured, and then the bore must be done based on the piston dimensions to set proper piston/cylinder wall clearance. If it's not done this way you could seize it up the first time you start it, or have a "new" top end that still smokes like a 2-stroke..

Also, remember to check and set ring end gaps to spec. This too can be critical. If too wide you will be down on compression and may be burning oil. If too tight, the ring gaps can close completely when the engine is brought up to temp causing the rings to seize.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    I think I may go ahead and get the piston before I take the trike to the mechanic. The motor, from what I can tell and have been told, has a stock bore.

Shortly after my first post, I received a set of repop tank shrouds and a new to me light and engine shut off switch from tx200m.

Then, last Friday, I picked up my freshly powdercoated parts from Windsor Iron and Powder Coat in Cullman, AL.

I had told the owner that I wanted satin black on all of it, but soon after I left, I remembered that I had wanted gloss black on the skid and kicker and gloss white on the hubs. I'll probably fix that later down the road, as paint isn't that big of a deal yet.

I still have to find a performance header and silencer.

Another thing, what is the best way and the easiest way to cut down the vibration in the bars? Anywhere that I can ride around here I have to go down highway, and the vibration is getting unbearable.

Thanks in advance, Chandler.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

loganm is offline Competing with a gnat in reading comprehension. Current winner: Gnat. Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    So what are you building up??? Or is this just a resto?

--
    Quote Originally Posted by loganm View Post
    So what are you building up??? Or is this just a resto?
    Resto mod is probably the best way to put it. It'll probably be pretty drawn out because I have other things I have to spend my extra money on right now, or to the middle of June anyway. I would like to build a flat track inspired trail bike. But I don't know exactly yet how I'd cross the two.

1986 Honda 200x

1985 Honda 250sx
    FOR SALE

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //