//ArrowChat Code

Thread: 1985 Harley Low Rider build thread

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --

1985 Harley Low Rider build thread

I bought this bike new in 1985. I'll try to find a pic of when I bought it, I'll have to do some digging. 85 was a transitional year for the Low Rider: First year with the Evo motor, but still had a 4 speed tranny and a kick start. In 86 the Low Rider went to an FXR frame. All the stock parts from this bike will be stashed away in case a resto to stock is ever wanted or needed.

This is what it looked like after the first round of mods in about 1992 or so, aside from adding a cam in '06, and the starting point for the current project:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LowRiderB4a.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	232181 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LowRiderB4b.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	270.0 KB 
ID:	232182 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LowRiderB4c.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	232183

I've always thought the rear fender was too high and the seat was too thick, and I've always wanted dual discs in the front.

I already posted a thread about modding a set of touring lower legs so I could put an '08 and up Brembo dual disc set up with with Wide Glide triples and 41mm tubes.

The modded lower legs. In the first pic on the left is a lower leg from an 80-83 Wide Glide that had dual discs stock. I used that for the dimensions to machine the groove for the dust boot :

Name:	slidermod1.jpg 
Size:	221.9 KB 
ID:	232184 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slidermod3.jpg 
Size:	218.8 KB 
ID:	232185 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slidermod5.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	232.0 KB 
ID:	232186

I bought a junker rear fender for modding purposes to get the mount holes laid out and to cut the rear of the fender the way I wanted. I lowered the rear fender about 1 1/2 inches and drilled new holes for a test fit. I think I'm going to go 1/2 to 1 inch lower. I need to cut a piece of 2 x 12 with the radius of the tire and 3 1/2 inches tall. That will give me my final clearance between the tire and rear fender. From what I've read most of the time guys leave 4 inches for clearance, but this will be a solo bike from here on out, so I doubt 1/2 inch lower will be an issue. I'll know more once I cut the spacer and get the new fender sitting on it.

I'm using Road King fork tubes with a 16" wheel instead of the stock Low Rider 19" wheel, that lowers the front about 3 inches, and installing RaceTech Hi-Performance Fork Springs and Gold Valve Emulators. Wide Glide triple trees with a NTO 2014 Fat Bob headlight, '08 and up Brembo calipers, '08 and up Brembo rotors, and '08 Harley touring wheels.

Here she is so far. Lowered, widened, front end mocked up with the wheel and new rubber, calipers and headlight installed, Harley short stem mirrors off of a Dyna. Rear wheel with new rubber mounted for proper fender spacing, fender holes drilled and fender temporary mounted. I made a temporary mounting bracket for the headlight, just to get fit and spacing figured out. Made some spacers to bring the bars up 2", might have to go 2 more inches higher.

Name:	Low Rider Mock 2b.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	289.8 KB 
ID:	232187 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Low Rider Mock 2c.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	232188 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Low Rider Mock2a.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	213.9 KB 
ID:	232189
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 05-29-2016 at 08:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

If we've done business together, please leave me feedback. Thank You!:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...t=Scootertrash

--
    Sweet bike, how many miles have you put on that gem?
    "Roll on 3"

RIP Ol' Deuce

"Long Live the ATC"
    Building: ATCr125x
    Riding: ATC200sx
    "I am not a mechanic, mechanics get paid for this. I do it because I enjoy it."

Scootertrash is offline Just Too Addicted: Protecting Our Community The day begins with 3WW
    --
    Thanks!

Mmmmmm somewhere between 150,000 and 175,000 is my best guess. Speedo cable broke at 96,000 and was broken for many years. Re-ringed and put a cam in at about 110,000. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to. It's gonna get the heads massaged and possibly an 89" stroker kit this time around. I planning this as the last build for this bike, then I'm going to start saving for my Geezer Glide. This will be my little hot rod.
    Trick the people into thinking they're enacting their own will and you have willing slaves.

Liberalism suspends the intellect of its victims, while at the same time tricking them into believing that they're smarter than everyone else.

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    You, Mr. Scootertrash, are a bad influence. Now I will have this song stuck in my head for days. BTW, nice scooter Scooter.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qeq47

--
    I've been told that before, usually by the parents of my girlfriends in my younger days.

I had a teacher tell me once "You're not totally worthless, you can be used as a bad example."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootertrash View Post
    I've been told that before, usually by the parents of my girlfriends in my younger days.

I had a teacher tell me once "You're not totally worthless, you can be used as a bad example."
    At least it wasn't your own patents
    It sucks to get old

--
    Any updates on this project, Scooter?

--
    Should have an update this weekend. Been super busy.

Took Thursday and Friday off so I can sit on the deck in the morning in my thong and drink Bailey's and coffee, then work on projects......

--
    Careful, dude. I've heard them projects is rough.
    Last edited by tripledog; 09-02-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spellun

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //