//ArrowChat Code
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: About to start on my ATC500...

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedbngr18 View Post
    Also, this is posted in 2 other threads. May as well give you guys a shot at it too. I have decided to just modify the cradle on my spare 85 250R frame and build myself a tube swingarm.

"Hello fellow 3 wheel enthusiasts! I am currently in possession of a 1985 CR500 frame, Leagers subframe conversion with a Leagers extended swingarm. I measured it as compared to a stock ATC250R unit and there is exactly a 7" difference. I am aware that the mounting points are different between the two, but I really have no other way to describe it.

85 CR500R: Tank (in very good condition), Maier Shrouds (no cracks, very good condition), Airbox with intake boot, Full Leagers CR500 trike conversion subframe with extended swingarm and bearing carrier, original CR500R frame with adjusted rake for better handling, Radiators (good working order), stock rear shock (complete).

I also have a complete pair of 350X forks that I am opting to part with, as I want the 250R forks instead. There is a bit of rust on them between where the triple clamps attach, but I feel like a little time and effort and they will be like new again. I have pictures of everything, but you will have to PM me. I don't have permission to post them on here yet."

I have the stock 500R rear shock too. I may try to use it on the trike, but I haven't looked at it yet to see if it's at all possible. If any of you on here have some insight into that, I would appreciate it.

I also have 2 1985 stock swingarms for the 250R. Both are in excellent working condition and are still gold with decals. Would need to be stripped and painted to be showroom quality, but they could be installed and ran with no issues whatsoever. One unit has the rear carrier, the other does not.

I have yet to decide on prices for anything, as I need to do some research to see what it's all worth. I want it to be fair for everyone (including myself). This $ will go into repairing my 85 R, registering both my 85 and 86 R's, as well as getting started on the 500.

Pics available through email upon request.

Price and pics in the post please. And in the future please only create one for sale thread.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    I tried to post pics. I was told I don't have permission. As for pricing, I am still researching what everything is worth. I at least wanted to give people time to see the post and respond. I know most users aren't on here very often. Plus, I would rather deal through email. It's easier. if that's a problem, then I'll figure something else out.

--
    Alright. Update time! Jwheeler and Big Specht were able to relieve me of some parts in exchange for money. :-) I have since ordered a new clutch cover/water pump housing. Geniune Honda brand new in box. It's technically for an '89-01 engine. Notes on the description stated that as long as you use the hoses for that same era, the bolt pattern is identical. It'll be nice to have the removable clutch cover as well. Definitely an upgrade from the '85 part number, as it won't have the same corrosion issues and my water pump housing is toast. It'll be here Thursday! This project had a LOOOOOONG way to go, but this is the first real progress towards actually building this thing. I had only disassembled stuff up to this point.

Coming at some point in the future (most likely summer) will be a new engine cradle on the '85 ATC frame and an extended swing arm. Good friend of mine used to build trophy trucks out here in SD and still is a welder/fabricator for a living. We'll make sure to crack the case of beer AFTER we are done measuring, cutting and bending! :-) I will have this long awaited project ready for the 2019 Imperial Invasion. Hopefully my 2 other R's are fully functioning/registered as well. I have been away from the sand for much too long.

--
    Hey all! It's been quite a while since I updated anything about the 500R. Not much in the way of progress, but I was without a garage for the past 18 months. I am within a few weeks of splitting the cases to inventory what all I need to order. I just bought a small engine service stand and got my workbench set back up. Also, I spoke with the previous owner today and he told me he only rode it one time after he built it...in 1987. So this thing has been stationary for 32 years. He did happen to locate the aftermarket axle this past weekend, so he'll be handing that over Monday. I am going to ditch the 350X front end for a 3rd gen 250R with the Race Tech gold valve setup. I'm a heavy dude, so every last inch of travel is going to matter (especially at the speeds I will be going). So if anyone wants a nearly complete 350X front end, I'm looking to part with one. Triple clamps, bearings, forks, axle, hub, possibly more. I need to dig through my parts bin for that particular bike. All parts need some attention/cleaning, but everything is usable as far as I can tell. Spread the word and send me a PM. I'm open to trade my stuff with cash added for some 3rd gen R front end parts.

Now back to business. I do have a question for everyone. How have previous conversions handled the cooling? Are people using standard R radiators? Aftermarket larger capacity? Retrofitting the 500 units? Also, what are they doing as far as hoses? I ended up buying a 1990 clutch cover housing so they are routed differently than the 85 would be. I don't want to have a ton of fittings if I can avoid it. Too many points of failure. I would prefer solid hoses formed for my needs. Any input would be much appreciated.

--
    For the 1-3 people who may still care, I haven't made any progress on the 500. I decided that a frame up restoration of both my 85 and 86 Rs was the better choice before I went any further. They require less work and less money. I hope to have this started before the end of this year.

--
    Keep us updated with some pictures and we'll still be here.

--
    Hey bro just remember if you don’t see replies it doesn’t mean we are interested and waiting! I personally keep waiting for an update but I figured I’d let you know there’s a small handful of us counting on you to relay info about this. Good luck on the 250r builds but I really hope you show us up one day and post that fucker complete!

--
    Crazy how life gets in the way of plans, huh? Since my last post in this thread, I moved, changed jobs, got married, and I'm about to change jobs and move again. 85 R is finished minus some small bits and bobs. I just posted a thread on it a few minutes ago regarding aftermarket foot pegs. The only progress that's been made in regards to any projects, 500 or 250, is that my tool/equipment arsenal and workspace is lightyears beyond what I had when this thread began.

The only 500 update I can offer is that I tried contacting BVC to see if they were going to move forward with their 3rd Gen R engine cradle kit/service they were working on. I got nothing but crickets. Granted, it was 18 months ago and I haven't tried following up recently. Has anyone else had any luck or tried contacting them? I get the feeling that their YouTube presence and selling $15,000 conversions are more important to them than anything else.
    Jason

85 250R
    86 250R
    85 500R Conversion

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //