//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: About to start on my ATC500...

Surprise AZ. In the garage working on trikes.
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    Where did you get the info that it was a Laegers kit?
    Someone scanned it to this site. It says ATV sports at the bottom of the article, not sure if dirtwheels or any of the other publications at the time had similar articles.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean View Post
    Someone scanned it to this site. It says ATV sports at the bottom of the article, not sure if dirtwheels or any of the other publications at the time had similar articles.
    I am talking about his kit several things are different from the kit

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    Email- onformula1@hotmail.com Rebuilt, Revalved, custom springs, lowering, forks & shocks, Custom Suspension, all brands, 2-3-4 wheeler's- PM or Email with questions.

***Check out my album for cool pictures*** http://www.3wheelerworld.com/album.php?albumid=2527

As always- Everything I post is IMHO.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by onformula1 View Post
    Where did you get the info that it was a Laegers kit?

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
    The owner said it was hand built by Leager himself when he still lived in Valley Center, CA. Possibly not an actual kit, but a one off/prototype? Not sure if I am THAT lucky. Hahaha It is very different than what was shown in the article. I'll have to further inquire from my co-worker. If it is in fact a one off, I may just offer it up for a more standard extended swinger with a wider axle. I'm sure there is no shortage of enthusiasts that will do unmentionable things to have a piece like that. :-) I'll do some research and get back to y'all. Then again, that amount of polished surface area would definitely attract a ton of eyes in Glamis compared to a simple tube design. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Hedbngr18; 06-03-2016 at 05:00 PM.

--
    Now...on to the rest of the bike. I have been researching exhaust and have seen in many places to just stick with the stock pipe and get a lighter silencer. Like I said before, this thing will only see dunes, so I don't need any special "increases in mid-high rpm punch to accelerate out of the corners" or anything like that. However, on my 86 250R, I just did all new gaskets/seals, a hone, very light porting, lots of polishing, new top end, new Fatty pipe and Power Core silencer, Pro-44 Boyesen reeds, new UNI filter. The power band is awesome compared to stock and I absolutely love the sound. But, I am just thinking about my possible impending serious injury on the big boy trike if I go too overboard. :-) I will be doing all of the same internals to the engine, but anything outside of it aside from the silencer, should I even bother? I'll be running ITP 8 paddle Sand Stars, so nothing too crazy. I am aware that FMF only offers the Gnarly for the '85, so the increase in low end IMHO is completely unnecessary (according to most 500 riders). That engine is wild enough down low as it is. Then there's Pro Circuit, DG, etc. I did see a lot of people running the Gnarly with a certain PC silencer that smoothed everything out and also did great on the dyno. Any thoughts?

--
    Anyone!? I feel like my thread hit a wall in 5th gear. I am just now beginning the research phase of parts purchasing. This is going to be a 12 month project, so I will have time to budget for parts, etc. Any input will be GREATLY appreciated.

--
    I have no useful input but didn't want you know that I'm interested and will be following your progress.
    Current Trikes:
    85 350x
    P3 (x2)

Quads:
    2003 Polaris Predator 500
    1988 Yamaha Warrior
    2003 Polaris Predator 90

Previous Trikes:
    84 Honda 110 (parts)
    85 Honda 110
    85 Honda 200x
    87 Honda 200x
    85 Honda 250sx
    KX 80 Trike conversion

Gone and missed:

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedbngr18 View Post
    Now...on to the rest of the bike. I have been researching exhaust and have seen in many places to just stick with the stock pipe and get a lighter silencer. Like I said before, this thing will only see dunes, so I don't need any special "increases in mid-high rpm punch to accelerate out of the corners" or anything like that. However, on my 86 250R, I just did all new gaskets/seals, a hone, very light porting, lots of polishing, new top end, new Fatty pipe and Power Core silencer, Pro-44 Boyesen reeds, new UNI filter. The power band is awesome compared to stock and I absolutely love the sound. But, I am just thinking about my possible impending serious injury on the big boy trike if I go too overboard. :-) I will be doing all of the same internals to the engine, but anything outside of it aside from the silencer, should I even bother? I'll be running ITP 8 paddle Sand Stars, so nothing too crazy. I am aware that FMF only offers the Gnarly for the '85, so the increase in low end IMHO is completely unnecessary (according to most 500 riders). That engine is wild enough down low as it is. Then there's Pro Circuit, DG, etc. I did see a lot of people running the Gnarly with a certain PC silencer that smoothed everything out and also did great on the dyno. Any thoughts?
    Set it back stock, use the parts you currently have. I believe you will find a CR 500 motor is enough power with stock components.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Who wants stock that's no fun I have a 89cr500 and a 87 kx500 I would like to convert one of these days too, so I'm looking for input to.
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    Run the stock pipe and a pro circuit silencer imho. Power more broad with stock pipe .lightly port and polish the hell out of her and you got a sweet ripper

--
    Next step to the 500 rebuild! Just came in the mail today.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160708_204248.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	233244

sanchez is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Well if it has a reworked steering stem it might not have the doesn't turn well issue mine has. Your going to want that wide axle
    I may be completely off but Leagers was never very large production. Sort of all one offs minor differences as they were made one at a time. But their welding is good.
    And if we want to talk rare a Leagers type kit will always be rare, me I'm just looking for another 500 with inverted front shock's like mine (yes bragging)
    lastly all bike conversations seem to run hot, the extra drive tire just puts heat in your motor don,t panic.
    Get it ragg
    Appearing since '07

Looking for a place to happen...
    Making stops, along the way

--
    Anyone on here know if it's possible to put the ATC tank on the 500 frame without too much fuss? I want to possibly run an IMS desert tank when I finally get going on this thing.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    Man all you east coast guys find all the cool sh#t lol Anyways that frame looks like it might have been cut and rewelded to fix the rake? I might be wrong. If so was it was cause they used the R triples ?
    The previous owner decided on a 350X front end. I was actually digging through everything on Saturday and when I compared the triple clamps to the ones on my 85 and 86 250Rs, they looked pretty much identical. Would any of you happen to know if that's true? I know I can look up the part numbers and compare, but if one of you already knows, then that'll save me some time. Also, same goes for the front hub. Looks identical, but I'm not 100% sure.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt85'350x View Post
    Very cool. What all does it need? When is the last time it ran?
    It was parked and covered back in 2001. Previous owner was able to locate everything except the rear axle, as well as the wheels and tires. The engine has the classic 85-87 issue with the water pump getting corroded. I have yet to split the engine apart and go over it, but that will be happening soon. I am hoping that I don't have to replace any cases or side covers. If it's trashed, I'm just going to save up some $ and go with a full Panthera case set. It's ungodly expensive, but I can have a counter balancer and maybe even electric start for when I am feeling lazy. Fingers crossed that I can save the original parts!

--
    Also, this is posted in 2 other threads. May as well give you guys a shot at it too. I have decided to just modify the cradle on my spare 85 250R frame and build myself a tube swingarm.

"Hello fellow 3 wheel enthusiasts! I am currently in possession of a 1985 CR500 frame, Leagers subframe conversion with a Leagers extended swingarm. I measured it as compared to a stock ATC250R unit and there is exactly a 7" difference. I am aware that the mounting points are different between the two, but I really have no other way to describe it.

85 CR500R: Tank (in very good condition), Maier Shrouds (no cracks, very good condition), Airbox with intake boot, Full Leagers CR500 trike conversion subframe with extended swingarm and bearing carrier, original CR500R frame with adjusted rake for better handling, Radiators (good working order), stock rear shock (complete).

I also have a complete pair of 350X forks that I am opting to part with, as I want the 250R forks instead. There is a bit of rust on them between where the triple clamps attach, but I feel like a little time and effort and they will be like new again. I have pictures of everything, but you will have to PM me. I don't have permission to post them on here yet."

I have the stock 500R rear shock too. I may try to use it on the trike, but I haven't looked at it yet to see if it's at all possible. If any of you on here have some insight into that, I would appreciate it.

I also have 2 1985 stock swingarms for the 250R. Both are in excellent working condition and are still gold with decals. Would need to be stripped and painted to be showroom quality, but they could be installed and ran with no issues whatsoever. One unit has the rear carrier, the other does not.

I have yet to decide on prices for anything, as I need to do some research to see what it's all worth. I want it to be fair for everyone (including myself). This $ will go into repairing my 85 R, registering both my 85 and 86 R's, as well as getting started on the 500.

Pics available through email upon request.
    Last edited by Hedbngr18; 01-16-2018 at 03:37 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //