//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TF 2016: The good, the bad and the ugly.

--

TF 2016: The good, the bad and the ugly.

My trikefest experience didn't start off so well, quite a bit of bad luck. And I really want to thank Captain Weezy for loaning me his ( very nice ) truck to pick up some things I had forgotten. Super, super cool of him. After things settled down, and the weather passed, I really enjoyed myself.
    It was very unfortunate however dealing with a lot of teenage kids who bought some "old 3 wheelers " so they could come to Trikefest just to party. And these are the kids of today....no sense of responsibility, no adult supervision at all ( which I suspect is the story at home ) just a lot of alcohol and stupidity. I made reference to this in a thread on facebook. I feared this kind of behavior would make it's way in and it did. The Tecate kid had left his broken 110 on the track until he could come back after it. Someone tried to steal it. Luckily he found it in time. I heard stories of other people having things stolen like helmets. This was my 10th Trikefest and the first that I didn't feel comfortable leaving my stuff unattended. I really hope this doesn't continue but I think the gates have already been opened.
    I'm glad I got to see my extended family and will certainly be back next year, though I'm not sure if I'll bring my daughter, as I stated, I fear things will get worse.
    Tionesta Trikes ATC 450R
    86 250R
    86 Tecate-3
    83 ATC 70
    85 Big Red
    81 KLT 200
    85 250SX
    Tricky Dicks Cagiva WMX 200 sold
    Trikefest survivor 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
    My feedback: http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/s...dback+eric250r

--
    Something Wicked this way comes

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    I've been trying to figure out how to say this and couldn't, thanks for doing it for me. There were a couple incidents I saw and was involved in. One I think is pretty well known about. I'm not proud of what I did but the complete lack of respect and jackassary (I can't think of any other way to put it) made me do it. The kid and I talked at herk and jerk, we both apologized and got over it, I hope he learned from what happened. The second incident came right after this, 2 guys started fighting at herk and jerk. A young kid (the one who was riding without a helmet in Fabio's story) allegedly pushed otrhit another guys gf/wife (the friend of the kid I had an altercation with). We got that separated without much difficulty and each party went separate ways. Idk who was in the wrong here, but I understand where the guy was coming from who's gf/wife got hit because that was the cause of my altercation. The last one though was the one that scared me most. Geoff told me he caught some kids snooping around parts he had in front of his 5th wheel twice. The second time he caught them he heard, "oh , someone's here" this was his first TV and all we told him was how nice everyone is. He's a good guy so I think he understands what happened, but it was embarassing.

These things just didn't happen before. I've never heard of a fight or stolen property. I looked at the sign in sheet and there were only 2 forum members on the page I signed. Idk what has to happen but something needs to be done. I talked about it with a couple guys there, I really hope this wasn't our last TF at Haspin Acres but I fear what happened this year ruined our access to the beach and night riding.
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    I've never attended a TF but that kind of shenanigans goes on out here from time to time.

The only difference here perhaps is law enforcement has a presence.

--
    Holy cow....the beach and night riding were two of the funnest parts about TF. Jeff was telling me about some of this last night.
    I'm already bummed about missing this year and now this.
    I heard that the police were threatening to impound trikes down on the river last weekend.

That serious accident is bad enough. I know stuff happens as I broke my ankle last year on Tuesday jumping into a tree. I didn't want to ruin my trip and go home two days into a week long vacation but more importantly I was kind of afraid it would reflect poorly on trike fans who fought hard to get rid of the "death machine" moniker. I didn't want to report it or drive to the hospital and jeopardize a good thing. I wasn't there so I can't say what happened but I've been going to Haspin since the 80s and that place has seen tons of serious injuries and several have died there over the last 30 yrs. Last time was two yrs ago right around TF a girl riding in a Jeep that turned over on a hill pinned her head between the rollbar and a tree or rock and killed her. Haspin is probably already paying hefty liability insurance rates as it was but every time something serious happens I'm sure they are one step closer to being dropped.

I'm not surprised to see them clamping down on the funtivities due to the circumstances. Haspin was always "the place to go get f#$%ed up and go mudding or trail riding" when I was a Hoosier teen so naturally you're going to have that.

So the river is "walk there only" and they are enforcing the no night riding rule on us now? I know the official policy was always "no" but they used to overlook it for us. Sad to hear all this happened.

The thievery has always been an issue at Haspin. Trikefest is the ONLY time I ever felt safe leaving all my stuff out there. It's long known that the Laurel riffraff will also sneak in and steal machines besides worrying about the shady campers inside.

I hope we can work out a resolution to all this and still keep the night rides. Far as the beach goes, that's out of the hands of Haspin and the police don't compromise so that may be ruined. I'm not averse to walking but the walk BACK to camp would be a real moth#$$%@er and therefore a deal breaker.

Last edited by ironchop; 06-29-2016 at 08:27 AM.

RUNMEDOWN is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerAt the back of the pack
    --
    Hope it doesn't turn into another S-show like Glamis or Sturgis or every gathering open to the public related to motorized toys. I was hoping to sneak out this year but thanks to some issues in the UK the market was projected to be a nightmare (It was) so I had to be ready to put out fires. Eric250r hit the nail on the head; its kids growing up without supervision and no respect. I am almost 40 so I don't need an assault charge but I would be hard pressed not to react poorly if someone was looking to steal from me or was causing a problem with my wife. (I feel old saying that, very much a "Back in my day" statement) maybe next year or the next..... if they are still going.
    85 ATC110 - The Greatest ATC of all time - (My First - new in 85)
    83 FL250 - Odyssey w/420cc - SOLD
    82 185s -10.25:1 piston, Full 200x upper, Goki Electric start - SOLD
    84 200x - Auto-X - Weisco Hi-comp, Cam'd, Bassani'd, Westcoast swinger, -SOLD
    82 200E Big Red -SOLD
    85 ATC250ES Big Red - Snow Plow !

--
    this was my ninth year going. I had a good time don't get me wrong. But it was not the same. It got very white trashy at the end that's the only way I could put it. I'm not sure if it was just new people there or the huge presence of jeeps and stuff there but it did feel a bit uncomfortable. I am going again next year but if it's the same feeling it very well could be my last year.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by yourlossmygain View Post
    this was my ninth year going. I had a good time don't get me wrong. But it was not the same. It got very white trashy at the end that's the only way I could put it. I'm not sure if it was just new people there or the huge presence of jeeps and stuff there but it did feel a bit uncomfortable. I am going again next year but if it's the same feeling it very well could be my last year.
    I got the same impression at '14 and '15....it was cool until Saturday morning both years and then here comes "other" enthusiasts, the trails get real crowded. And the collective IQ drops 25 points.

That's why I went the whole week last time. I wanted the chance to visit people in a more laid back environment.

--
    My first year and loved it. I'll agree when the weekend crowd arrived I feared for my stuff back at camp when we were out riding. Wednesday thru Friday I never gave it a second thought.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    85 Tri-z Power valve on Inverts
    85 Tri-z Basket Case
    01 gsxr750 engine/Tri-z frame (long long way from complete)

--
    Well I'll skip the good, the bad, and the ugly and I'll continue where you guys left off about the new crowd.

This was only my second TF. Last year got rained out, couldn't ride much. This was my first year I was prepared, weather complied with us, it was great. I'm part of that young crowd, my birthday was Trikefest Sunday, I turned 23. I know a lot of people there, I'm with the TRUPA crowd, I go to the races to hangout, I can't afford anything to race. Those of you that i may have just met, I'm a laid back guy. Im not a big drinker, I prefer to grow herbs in my garden rather than hops. I didnt bring a group of kids with, I drove 600 miles by myself from PA. I don't go to party, I go to preserve and be a part of history. To hangout with friends and appreciate vintage atvs. In my opinion I had a harder time finding people to ride with because everyone was busy living it up.

Point being, I hope a group of guys don't ruin it for everyone. There are a lot of good young kids who are just as passionate about 3 wheelers as you and I. Just like I hope one guy doesn't ruin the river for us all for the future.

I will say this, next year I'm coming earlier, and leaving after the awards banquet on Saturday. By then everyone near the TRUPA camp was gone except me. Saturday night after 10 or 11 or so is when it got rowdy. Herk and jerk time. People were yelling all night long. People on really loud quads and even some trikes kept circling my camp, again if you know where TRUPA camps in the woods there's no reason to go down there unless you or someone you know is camped there. Made sleeping and getting up early not happen.

Also, it make me cringe when I seen people riding on people's lawns during the parade, doing wheelies and falling off the back, doing all this stupid stuff next to vehicles and the public.

Let me say this. Don't let this discourage anyone new from attending trikefest. It's a once a year vacation everyone on this forum should have. I enjoy it and will make it an annual event for sure.

--
    My Impression was that Haspin is like "The Wild West". Sure there are signs saying.. don't do this, and don't do that, and this is required.. but not many actually pay attention to the signs, I noticed this more so as the non-trikefest people arrived friday/saturday. Friday night we had drunkards at 2am screaming and apparently trying to pull a downed tree out of the woods with a 3 or 4 wheeler.

it would also be hard to hold anyone accountable for noise or Shenanigans at a campsite since they don't assign campsites.

Had a great time anyway, got to teach my wife how to ride a trike for the first time! Neither of us were very comfortable after the masses started showing up, and it was a little too hot for my tastes, with no real way of escaping the heat.
    Trikes I Own:

85 ATC 350X - The Beast
    85 ATC 250SX - High School Pal
    83 ATC 110 - The Little One

--
    Yeah I agree, trikefest was always safe from thieves. Now I'm nervous. The real trike festers are gonna just try and look out for each other. But this is still the best thing I've ever attended. Great group of people.

clmeue37 is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    This was also my second trikefest and I noticed a huge change between my 2 visits. I witnessed an incident down at the river that made my stomach turn. The blatant disrespect when a long time tf'er asks you to get your trikes out of the river because it is obviously illegal (it's common sense as far as I'm concerned) was appalling. There was also the guys in front of me during the parade riding tipped up on 2 wheels. Not only was one of them riding completely in people's lawns I watched him ride within a foot of a 6 year old kid who had to jump out of the way as the rider nearly lost his balance. I go to relax, watch the races and other events, I do a little riding, spend some time at the river, and scope out parts as well as check out everyone's machines and meet their owners. It's over 700 miles there and back for me and I hope we haven't lost our trikefest privileges for the future.
    1980 Honda atc110, 1981 Honda atc110, 1983 Honda atc200e Big Red, 1984 Honda atc200es Big Red, 1984 Honda trx200, 1985 Honda atc200s

Trikefest '15 '16

Before destruction a man's heart is haughty, but humility comes before honor.
    -Proverbs 18:12

--
    This was my second TF as well, definitely different crowd Fri-Sat and at the parade. I also saw people riding in lawns and recklessly riding near people and vehicles. Late Sat night we went out for a ride and saw a jeep doing like 40mph down the main trail, we decided it was safer to go back to camp...On the plus side, saw some chick hanging out of another jeep with her top off, so that was cool...

--
    I have yet to get to my first TF, but I know the kind of nonsense you all are speaking of all too well. It's not just TF, it's not just FB, it's not just Haspin...

Where I ride in Lewis County NY (Tug Hill) we have this same issue with the "bad apples". People ride while under the influence, cause accidents, people get hurt or worse. People ride in areas that are off limits, ride recklessly in campgrounds that are considerate enough to allow people to ride their ATV on the property. Trails have been shut down, local politics gets heated up about it when the anti-crowd gets the fodder they need from the bad apples to keep pushing their agenda to shut it all down. We have to be self-policing on these matters, we have to be proactive, we need to be part of the solution. Granted, by and large the people riding Tug Hill are generally doing it right, having a good time without getting out of control. This is a small minority of riders in my experience, but we all know the cliche.

I am not sure what the best solution would be for what went on at TF that has the TF vets up at arms. Possibly an arrangement between the overseers/organizers of TF and the owners of Haspin where people who take things too far would be expelled from the park?? I'm not saying to take the fun out of the thing, but by my interpretation of some of the goings-on posted here, there needs to be some measure of accountability. And I certainly wouldn't tolerate stealing or any kind of move against my family!

Doesn't sound good guys, hate to hear of things going down like that...

(Edited due to more information on who the offending parties were and that it is being well handled)
    Last edited by RIDE-RED 250r; 07-02-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //