//ArrowChat Code
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Discussion: Improving Big Red brakes.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by big specht View Post
    If you can check to see if they still have some. The other problem is that all the drums are worn out and the sealing surface is groved for the drum seal so I'm all in on a disc conversion they need it. Louis I have a trx300 disc brake conversion if you need pics for ideas on the rear
    Exactly what 90% of the ones that come through my hands have. I can put new shoes and cables on, line up the marks and still have pretty much nothing. I am interested in this post. Louis if you need anything for your project just holler.
    R.I.P. John Swinehart
    TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    Epic Mikfest 17
    86 200x
    85 250sx
    85 big red
    85 atc 70

Fabiodriven- cereal goes in first, then milk.
    I’ve got an 8” Grip on a 10” turd... Kyle Kiser

--
    I'm sure I have seen a post on here about either an ES or SX with a disc conversion on the rear. Me personally have had goodluck with my BigRed brakes. Just takes a lot maintenance on the 85 rear drum with its rubbish sealing ability, though I was lucky enough to find an OEM drum seal a few years back. I had my drum trued up and turned in a lathe and it made it a lot better. Grooved shoes from EBC are a good option also. Handbrake is also a necessity on an agricultural trike like the 250es, my opinion anyway. My BigRed is still my favourite trike I own. She's slow but rides fantastically and is comfy as hell!

Matt
    1980 ATC 70 Needs Restoration
    1985 ATC 250es Fully Refurbed
    1986 ATC 350x Mint Original

--
    I have welded a thin peice of steel to each side of the cam to make up the drum wear. And that has worked good for us. But we still have the sealing problem and shoe wear issue
    If its on the internet its got to be true they can't put any lie's on the internet

--
    I can still get the oversized shoes. The O rings are gone,however i could def come up with them if there was enough need . The shoes are around $25 + shipping. Turn your old drum on a lathe,stuff these in,silicone where the o ring meets,and you should be good unless you're riding swamps lol.
    Please help those who cannot help themselves.

ALWAYS buying Museum quality machines,3 and 4 wheels. And any and ALL ,NOS parts,EVERY brand.

I am turning my PM's Off,my Email is billsracing@hotmail.com,put 3WW in the subject. Thanx!

Gun laws do not stop criminals. BULLETS do.

--
    I'm still working on this but I did get something accomplished. I'm going to be making a billet aluminum caliper mount, the sheet metal one is only temporary. I used the front hub that someone on facebook was selling, trying to find his name and its alluding me at the moment but here's where I'm at.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1604.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	503.1 KB 
ID:	259742
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1603.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	427.4 KB 
ID:	259743
    And that's the rest of the story. ~ Paul Harvey

"Yes its broken, but does that really surprise you?."