//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got a bit banged up at work yesterday, but could have easily been alot worse

--

Got a bit banged up at work yesterday, but could have easily been alot worse

So this might be a bit lengthy of a post, but here goes..

As many of you know, I work for my town highway department. Yesterday we got sent out to do some roadside tree and brush work. It was all ground work, so we just had one man cutting. Pretty run of the mill stuff..

Well, we were about an hour into the day doing things as we always do, one man cutting and four of us dragging the brush and smallish trees to the chipper. I observed the cutter in the edge of the woodline cutting small (appx 1") brush as I went in to gather up some other smaller pieces to feed into the chipper. As I bent down to grab them, BAM! I got pummeled into the ground with great force. People throw the cliche around that "it felt like I got hit by a truck" and well, that's exactly what it was like. What happened was that I failed to realize that my friend/coworker was cutting down an oak tree that was about 8" at the stump and probably 25-30 feet tall. And as I moved in it hit me when it fell, about 20' from the stump. I was bent down picking branches when it hit me on the left side of the head, then smashed my shoulder and left forearm. I rolled and sprang back to my feet as quickly as I could and moved out of the area, not knowing if more was coming. As I moved away and took a knee as I was in too much pain and shock to remain standing, I noticed my hardhat and safety glasses were gone, and my left shoulder was hurting real bad. I thought I had finally broken my first bones as at that time and for a couple minutes afterward my entire left arm was completely dead, numb, tingling and I couldn't move it or my fingers. After a couple of minutes I was able to move my left arm again and get back to my feet. Of course by this time work was stopped and my coworkers were tending to me to discern the extent of my injuries. And at this time I was spitting up small amounts of blood from the back of my throat, but thankfully that subsided fairly quick. We then gathered up my missing gear and found my hardhat laying about 20 feet from where I was when I got hit, and the left earmuff got broken off the hardhat was 10 feet from that.

It was decided that I should be taken to the ER to get checked out, especially since I had spit up some blood. They ran scans on my head to check for concussion, and X-rays on my left shoulder as the tree struck my shoulder right on the boney part right on top. All was found to be OK, no broken bones, no concussions.

I am thankful that my employer/boss doesn't cheap out on our PPE, and I am thankful he makes sure we all wear our PPE. If I had not been wearing my hardhat I'm pretty sure that I would still be in the hospital today with a serious head injury. It's amazing the amount of force a "small-ish" tree has when it's falling to the ground. Wear that PPE my friends! It may be uncomfortable at times, but injuries are more uncomfortable every time!
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Jesus, glad you are OK Joe! Angels were watching out for you on that one and glad you weren't another foot to the left!
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    That's a reminder-at least for me. Any one of us could disappear any day. Thank you for that reminder.
    I'm very glad your ok.

--
    Thanks my friend. And I agree, if I was struck squarely on the head it would likely have been worse.. Especially since I was bent down and it would have likely hit the back of my head.

I have 2 weeks of vacation scheduled to start next week... We are working 4/10's right now and I got my balls broke by my friends for wanting to start my vaca a couple days early. They're all good friends and have been checking up on me. The fellow who dropped the tree was beating himself up pretty bad about it despite my insisting the mistake was mine. He even offered 2 of his sick days to me to cover the 2 more days I was supposed to work this week.

So I'm just chilling out these next couple days, the pain med and muscle relaxers really help with the bone bruising and stiffness in my neck.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

If you have bought from me or sold to me, please leave me feedback here>>> http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...+RIDE-RED+250r

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd110 View Post
    That's a reminder-at least for me. Any one of us could disappear any day. Thank you for that reminder.
    I'm very glad your ok.
    Thanks...
    And yes, it does serve as a good reminder, lest we get complacent. Even the most mundane of every day jobs can end badly, more so if one doesn't take the proper measures to protect themselves by using the appropriate PPE.

I have gotten alot better about wearing my PPE in recent years, even at home. I never used to wear protective chaps when running my saws at home, but I now do and have been for quite a while... Same with eye, head and hearing protection. I now always wear safety glasses along with a full face shield when using grinders... Grinders scare me more than the 94cc Husqvarna chainsaw I use at work, you never know if/when a grinder disc will explode.
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

--
    Glad you will recover! You certainly had a close call. Lot clearing and wood chipping is serious work.
    A friend of mine had his back broken when a skid steer was dragging brush and a branch got hung up on a standing tree and bent back until it got past the trunk then sprung back on him. All that can happen in a second and with the noise of the chipper and saws it is hard to know what everyone else is doing on the job site!

--
    Wow

Lucky lucky

Thank god

--
    Glad to hear you are going to be ok. I had a tree fall on me at work on May 31. It is scary for sure. Can never be too careful. Heal quick.
    my feedback thread http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...-hoosierlogger

TRIKEFEST 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Current rides
    Taurus 650 (green)
    85 250es big red
    83 ALT50 (5 year old daughters)
    82 ALT50
    82 ALT50
    84 atc 70 stroked big bore 90 STILL in progress.
    71 QA50
    93 TRX 300 FW

Quote Originally Posted by fabiodriven View Post
    Ya'll are the biggest bunch of whining b!tches I've seen in my entire life.
    You might be strong as an ox, but without a cart you are just a big dumb animal.

--
    For cryin' out loud Joe stay safe out there! This forum can't stand to lose any members and would not be the same without your personality and level headed approach. I'm really glad you came through it with no major injuries.

--
    Glad to hear you're ok! Its definetly dangerous work, I should know, I grew up in a family that still used wood for heating, and I and my brother have had a few close calls ourselves. lets just say, just because a tree is leaning downhill, doesn't mean it will fall downhill!

Best of luck to ya in your recovery man.
    Never forget the past , but dont dwell on it.

My toys
    Trike:
    1983 Honda Atc 185s (update: frame painted!)
    1986 honda Atc 125m (sold)

Non - trike
    1968 Lomart Cheeftah Mini bike (3 hp Tecumseh)
    1968 wheel horse charger automatic ( modded)
    1981 Dodge Power Ram (driver)
    1981 Imperial (project car)

Follow me on my blog! (Yes, its about trikes!) https://www.tumblr.com/blog/atctriangleofdeath

--
    Damn! Glad you are ok. I heard those "Tree Wielders" can be dangerous

I have to admit that was horrible.. But serious! glad you are ok.
    Trikes I Own:

85 ATC 350X - The Beast
    85 ATC 250SX - High School Pal
    83 ATC 110 - The Little One

--
    I'm glad you're ok Joe. Are you going to come down to Unadilla since you started your vacation early?
    Looking for a Bassani silencer for a 2nd gen tecate, the style with the movable mount. 1st gen will work

--
    Damn Joe. Be careful out there!

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

tripledog is offline I could be geriatricdog... at my age Got the holeshot
    --
    I echo the sentiment that we are thankful that you are okay. You kind of remind me of the old Timex commercial; your noggin takes a floggin' but keeps on bloggin'. Not so sure I would have fared as well with my can't like reflexes. Have a safe and enjoyable vacation!

--
    Joe: We won't be making the 'Dilla as we are going to be packing for our annual 10 day camping trip on 4th Lake in the Adirondacks. It's a family thing every year and we can't miss it.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I wanted to post up because it's a reminder for all of us to work safely at work AND at home and that despite our best efforts accidents still do happen. That's where using your PPE comes in..
    Trikes:
    '85 ATC 350R
    '85 ATC 250R
    '86 ATC 350X
    '85 ATC 350X
    '84 ATC 200ES Big Red
    '84 ATC 125M
    '85 ATC 110
    '85 ATC 70/110

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //