//ArrowChat Code
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 200x idling high

--

200x idling high

I picked up a 1984 200x a week ago and i decided to pick up a new carb since it idled high and ran like crap. So after i put the new carb on it now idles even higher. The carb is pretuned so i am not sure what could be making it rev so high. Also there is no air filter on the bike(not sure if that may be the reason for the idle).

--
    Well, pre-tuned... That sounds like the problem. No way it can be pre-tuned for all the variables. And by "new carb", I am guessing it's an eBay China junk?
    No trikes. Too old, too crippled. Unless I find one I can't live without!
    "You cant fix stupid" ~ Ron White
    My feeback link: http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthr...ack-for-Thorpe

--
    Put a filter on and turn the idle screw down.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

--
    Is there a holder for the air filter? or does it just kinda sit in the air box. Also would unscrewing it idle it down?

--
    Get one of these.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/UNI-Two-Stage-...249?nav=SEARCH

And this.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Uni-Foam-Air-F...144?nav=SEARCH

Oil the filter before you put it on (in the service kit) and clean it when it's dirty. I would also suggest an outerwears on the filter but that's up to you.

Yes, loosen the screw to idle it down.
    Feedback for yaegerb: Click Here

Need something blasted or polished or both? Send me a PM

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    I feel for ya mate, I fell for the ebay carby pitfall too, when i 1st decided to restore mine,

they do work, they're just very underjetted for the 200x.

mine was mikuni, came with a 95 mainjet and a 15 pilot, thats not even standard honda carb level jetting, ....they dont tell ya dat!

Leevvii is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    So after i put the new carb on it now idles even higher
    check if Air is leaking anywhere in the inlet circuit?

--
    So I put the old one carb back on but am still having the same issue. When I first start the bike it runs at the right idle. Then after 20 or so seconds it idles EXTREMELY high. If I shove a full rag in the intake it brings it back down to the right idle. I unscrewed the idle screw out a good amount but it did not make a difference. I also have an air filter I put on but it didn't seem to make a difference

--
    I also made sure that the air box and the boot going to it from the airbox had no leaks. Could out possible be from the head? Could a gasket be bad or the head cracked. Also once I start it, it does not smoke but after it revs up high it begins to pour smoke out of the exhaust

--
    Check your throttle cable adjustment to make sure it's not holding open.
    you know whats right therefore you know what is expected

--
    Quote Originally Posted by danbur55 View Post
    Check your throttle cable adjustment to make sure it's not holding open.
    X2

That may be the problem

Instead of thinking cracked head......remove the throttle cable completely and run it. Once some of,the basics are covered then you can explore further possible conditions.

efhondakid is offline At The Back Of The Pack Arm chair racerFirst time rider
    --
    Air leak from the intake to the head somewhere. Start the bike up and spray some carb cleaner around the intake you'll notice a change in idle if the motor sucks in anywhere. My bet is a bad intake gasket.
    2 in the back, 1 in the front.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by knappyfeet View Post
    X2

That may be the problem

Instead of thinking cracked head......remove the throttle cable completely and run it. Once some of,the basics are covered then you can explore further possible conditions.
    Thats what i thought at first but when the bike is started it runs fine for 10-15 seconds. Then it revs up alot on its own, i never touched the throttle.

--
    Could be carb adjustments. Did you check the slide? Adjust the idle screw to lower the slide. Also you should be starting with the choke and after warm, turn choke off. Are you leaving it on? It will cause it to run faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly every kind of Honda ATC (plus some custom ones
    several Yami Quads (mostly custom built for MX racing)

https://www.mikesatvfix.com

"Freedom is not free...but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share."

--
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarmayer View Post
    Could be carb adjustments. Did you check the slide? Adjust the idle screw to lower the slide. Also you should be starting with the choke and after warm, turn choke off. Are you leaving it on? It will cause it to run faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The slider is fine. Also ive tried to adjust the screw but there was no difference at all. Its been quite hot out so i have been starting the bike with the chike off. Also the plug has been getting really black.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //