//ArrowChat Code
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: n e arkansas riding at byrds

--
    Alright, back in Arkansas to stay for a bit. Seen the east coast and west coast, and a lot of cool stuff between.

Ironchop, too bad timing didn't work out, and if I don't get to open this bottle with you, I'll think of you when I do. I did pick it up in your state.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0011.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	254035

(That's a small farmhouse in Dyess, Arkansas, for anyone who may know it)

Rocktoberfest https://byrdsadventurecenter.com/eve...t_display=list is happening a couple months from now at Byrd's. I don't own a rock buggy, but figure it'd be fun to watch and hang out.

Is anyone else interested?

I don't even know if I can go yet (new job), but would like to make it happen if possible and especially if there can be a trike presence, and I get to hang out with other experimental trike pilots (barn storming crazy people on 3 wheeled death machines, but we know that isn't true).
    The story of three wheels and a man...

Arky-X is offline Just Too Addicted Arm chair racerJust too addicted
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by ATC King View Post

Name:	DSCN0011.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	254035

(That's a small farmhouse in Dyess, Arkansas, for anyone who may know it)
    Johnny Cash's boyhood home. I need to visit that someday.

--
    No better time than now to do that.

That bottle on the hood, was also something I've wanted for a while. It was a small want, but I finally got it. The Cash boyhood home hasn't been open to the public for too long, four years, but I've been wanting to tour it. I did take the tour, and got to go inside the house. His mother's piano, the one she played for them as children, is in there. Some other original Cash items are in there as well, but the house was in very bad condition and a lot had to be repaired or replaced. Many items are period correct, and not original to the Cash's ownership.

The tour starts at the visitor center, which is pretty nice. They bus the people to the house (just a couple miles away, but on a short gravel road). There's a concert every year, right next to the house. There's nowhere to stay in Dyess though, so anyone going there will need to seek a hotel or other accommodation elsewhere.

There's a whole lot to see and do in Arkansas, and I could easily take a week vacation and never leave the state, and I've had extended travel in a lot of states. Arkansas is pretty blessed in the outdoor category, and quite a bit of historical significance too. For example, the first national river, the Buffalo, is in Arkansas. Also, gangsters, like Al Capone used to hide out in Hot Springs because of the illegal gambling. We've had some pretty powerful people come from here as well, like the Clintons

--
    Ironchop, too bad timing didn't work out, and if I don't get to open this bottle with you, I'll think of you when I do. I did pick it up in your state.
    Yeah I'm sorry I didn't have a chance to break away and meet up. Another time, surely.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

--
    Thank you very much for the information that was very valuable and necessary!
    The sizzling hot online 
is the best to win and play

--
    It's getting close to cooler temps and lower humidity. Is anyone wanting to ride here?

--
    It's getting close to cooler temps and lower humidity. Is anyone wanting to ride here?
    I really really really need to get mine back together......long ways to go still.

--
    I was wanting to do some camping in the Ouachita's this weekend, but the humidity is still just too high. It's not comfortable sitting around, much less, being active. I took a few breaks while just putting the camper shell back on my truck.

Plus, there's been a crapload of flooding here recently. Most of the public use areas are closed in the Ouachita National Forest.

There was a police manhunt near here, a few days ago, they even had to call off because of the humidity. Sweat doesn't evaporate, you just overheat.

--
    The fall ATV rally is coming up in about a month.

https://byrdsadventurecenter.com/eve...de-rally-2020/

$45 for the weekend

Friday, October 9th, 2020
    9:00am to 5:00pm Registration
    7:00pm Night Ride

Saturday, October 10th, 2020
    9:00am to 2:00pm Trail Rides
    3:00pm to 6:00pm Skills Course and Games
    7:00pm Dinner, Prize Giveaway, and Raffle

Sunday, October 11th, 2020
    9:00am to 2:00pm Open Trail Rides

--
    I'm planning on going. It will be nice to attend an event closer to home.

I've still got to unload the truck, and my hippie stank clothes from last weekend are punishing the washer right now.

--
    I had a blast this weekend.

The weather was great, but conditions were dusty. It wasn't so dusty that a group couldn't ride and still keep a visual from a distance though.

The night ride on Friday and group ride to Oark was great. This was the first time I done the group ride to Oark. When going alone, I ride very little pavement and come out close to the store on a gravel road. With a large group, the rules change, so it's quite a bit of pavement to get there. In parts of the state, ATVs are allowed paved road travel to connect trails with no additional licensing requirements. In a group of SxSs, the ol' 200ES wasn't doing so well trying to keep up at pavement speeds, but I managed to not kill it to death.

There was a large number of people and no shortage of finding somewhere to ride, someone to ride with, or just someone to hang out and talk to. AFAIK, I was the only trike rider there, which garnered some attention. I didn't have any issues on the group ride, but the ride leader stopped a couple times to see if I made it over some rougher sections (which he told me about before the ride). Trikes still have a lot of stigma attached and I don't think people understand how capable they are. I'm certainly used to pushing, lifting and heaving a trike over large logs, rock ledges, and whatever type of obstacle I'm unable to clean, but there wasn't any of that on the group rides, so everything was copacetic.

It would've been a good idea to take a water bladder with me, instead of having to wait until the grouped stopped before I could get a sip from my water bottle. Trikes don't have cup holders.

--
    Sitting in front of the boob tube this morning, watching one of those garbage shows with washed up actors and TV personalities hosting it, lo and behold...

Name:	20201012_134807_HDR.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	264640

Name:	20201012_135109_HDR.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.96 MB 
ID:	264641

Name:	20201012_135332_HDR.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	264642

A picture I took at the same general area this past weekend.

Name:	20201010_183438_HDR.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	264643

--
    If you've never been to Oark General Store, this place is hopping year round.

It's ATVs, cars, dual sport motorcycles, Harleys, any and everything with wheels that comes to this place. When Byrd's has a big ride heading that way, they call ahead, but still don't expect them to not be swamped when you want a quick burger. They've built a pavilion with tables since the Covid-19 stuff and are currently only taking orders through their window, otherwise, you'd be able to get a seat inside. The pavilion is nice though, and during good weather, I'd rather eat there.

Fuel is also available here. They've still got the old style pumps with rotary numbers.

The group ride on Saturday goes here for lunch. The earlier picture in this thread of my trike here is when I done a solo ride to Oark.

There was a group of Nissan Z enthusiasts who positioned their cars for a picture. I took this picture before they all lined up, but the cars covered several generations.

Name:	20201010_123931_HDR.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	264644

Where's the Big Red? My 200ES isn't sporting the same Camelflage tank and red fenders it was in post #50.

Name:	20201010_130804_HDR.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	264645
    Last edited by ATC King; 10-13-2020 at 11:37 PM.

--
    Enjoying the pics and descriptions. Knowing this is only a couple hours away has me Jones-ing to buy something to ride.

I see your 200ES tucked in behind those SxS devil-machines.

--
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky-X View Post
    ...those SxS devil-machines.
    He he. Yeah.

There was an older couple in one of those devil machines though, still getting out an enjoying themselves. The guy had bad knees and his wife was on oxygen. (Edit) Had to come back and include the positive energy I got from those SxS drivers. Some of them got a kick out of watching me ride, saying as much, and several struck up conversations about trikes and their memories. It was an enjoyable group to ride with and I had a chance to hang out with some of them back at camp. Just a great time.

The ride leader was also carrying some gear, including a chainsaw, which he put to use cutting up a tree that was blocking the trail and a few of us guys threw the cut pieces out of the way and had the trail cleared in about ten minutes.

The riding here is definitely suited more for the utility trikes. The left hand would certainly get a workout on anything with a manual clutch. Again, I used the low range on mine most of the time and still can't go up the hills as slow as those SxS. I'd have to let them get up the hill a little before I went or I'd be on their rear in low range first gear, and that's pretty dang slow. I was too close behind one time and while the driver was trying to figure out what he was going to do, I went around him so I didn't have to stop. I explained afterward why I passed him on the climb and he already figured as much. I wasn't trying to be 'that guy' on a large group ride.

Slipping that centrifugal clutch is a good way to cook the oil in short order. Got to keep the RPMs up enough for full engagement when climbing steep hills.

It's a lot like trying to ride a dirtbike in a SxS/ATV group. Just have to let them get up the hill so you have some room to keep momentum.

This is definitely good stuff for a 200E or 200ES, and anything with a low range. Just good technical stuff all around. Lots of big rocks to navigate without bashing the bottom of the trike on them, which will still happen anyway. It's the kind of riding I like, but there's plenty of fire and dirt roads for some easy cruising too.

Since Byrd's is right next to National Forest, you've got all kinds of riding opportunities. Stay on Byrd's property, which has some challenging trails and climbs or venture out on some NF gravel roads and trails. They've got a little trail in the woods right there at the campground too, and the young people especially, have a blast just sticking around there and riding.

Name:	20201009_133500_HDR.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	264665

Name:	20201009_164349_HDR.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	2.57 MB 
ID:	264666

Name:	20201010_162411_HDR.jpg 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	264668

Before you realize it, the weekend is over.

Name:	20201010_170424_HDR - Copy.jpg 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	264667
    Last edited by ATC King; 10-15-2020 at 09:59 PM.

//ArrowChat Integreation Code //